RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Posts: 5,430,440
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 390
Newest member: Enabran


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 27 2013, 07:08 PM   #1741
AdmiralScreed
Captain
 
AdmiralScreed's Avatar
 
Re: Does It Get Better???

Repression: Interesting premise, but poor execution. What was the Bajoran mind control dude trying to accomplish? Maybe I missed something, but it was never very clear to me. And how did he transmit his message to Tuvok through Starfleet? You'd think Starfleet security would have caught that. And how was he able to communicate with Tuvok from 35,000 light years (?) away? The prophets? I don't quite understand that either. Too many questions, and not enough answers. I did like the dark atmosphere and the mystery of this episode, but at a certain point it was pretty obvious that Tuvok was the culprit. It was also nice to see some Starfleet/Maquis conflict again, even if mind control was the entire reason for it.
4 or 5/ 10, trying to decide still.

EDIT: Since Melakon suggested I announce the episodes prior to my reviews, Critical Care is next!
__________________
Aim For The Stars...
AdmiralScreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 10:46 PM   #1742
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Does It Get Better???

Tuvok had been captured and programmed to be a sleeper agent who reacted to a trigger years earlier when he was still in the AQ.

All the hard stuff had been done, the activation could have been as simple as saying the word "teapot" but you're right they made it look like Bajoran magic for some reason.

Anyone Tuvok had had a serious meld with over the years should have "caught" his sleeper programming (and siphilus).

Neelix and Janeway come to mind.

If the Devore had been allowed to take Tuvok to a concentration camp, none of those murders would have taken place.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 04:19 AM   #1743
AdmiralScreed
Captain
 
AdmiralScreed's Avatar
 
Re: Does It Get Better???

Okay, there'll be two episode reviews instead of one, actually.

Critical Care: A serious episode with intriguing ethical dilemmas. Not sure if I'd have gone as far as the Doctor went, but it can be argued that the ends justified the means. Memorable guest characters too, especially Chellick.
7/10

Inside Man: Another spectacular TNG crossover. So much to enjoy about this one; seeing the Ferengi again, another Barclay and Troi team up, the great sense of continuity...some of the scenes with the hologram Barclay were unnecessary, so I take one point off for that. Otherwise I thought this was a terrific episode! The final stretch of the show has been great so far!
9/10

Really excited for this season, but also sad that it's coming to an end soon. It may have taken a long time for Voyager to hit its stride, but I really like the direction it's taken in the last two seasons!
__________________
Aim For The Stars...
AdmiralScreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 04:53 PM   #1744
Josan
Commodore
 
Josan's Avatar
 
Location: London, Canada
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan
Re: Does It Get Better???

Taste is indeed a subjective thing. For me, seeing Ferengi, other than Quark, is never really something to enjoy. And while Barclay is pretty much always welcome Troi on the other hand...
__________________
Winterwind - Re-vamped and Re-launched July 2013
http://www.winterwind-productions.com
Issue 19 of the Winterwind Papers now online
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 06:51 PM   #1745
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Does It Get Better???

You have a pudgy little dumpling standing on your hand?

Does it hurt?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; January 28 2013 at 11:59 PM.
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 08:42 PM   #1746
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Does It Get Better???

AdmiralScreed wrote: View Post
Repression: Interesting premise, but poor execution. What was the Bajoran mind control dude trying to accomplish? Maybe I missed something, but it was never very clear to me. And how did he transmit his message to Tuvok through Starfleet? You'd think Starfleet security would have caught that. And how was he able to communicate with Tuvok from 35,000 light years (?) away? The prophets? I don't quite understand that either. Too many questions, and not enough answers. I did like the dark atmosphere and the mystery of this episode, but at a certain point it was pretty obvious that Tuvok was the culprit. It was also nice to see some Starfleet/Maquis conflict again, even if mind control was the entire reason for it.
4 or 5/ 10, trying to decide still.

EDIT: Since Melakon suggested I announce the episodes prior to my reviews, Critical Care is next!
Yeah, I thought this one was really bad too.

AdmiralScreed wrote: View Post
Okay, there'll be two episode reviews instead of one, actually.

Critical Care: A serious episode with intriguing ethical dilemmas. Not sure if I'd have gone as far as the Doctor went, but it can be argued that the ends justified the means. Memorable guest characters too, especially Chellick.
7/10

Inside Man: Another spectacular TNG crossover. So much to enjoy about this one; seeing the Ferengi again, another Barclay and Troi team up, the great sense of continuity...some of the scenes with the hologram Barclay were unnecessary, so I take one point off for that. Otherwise I thought this was a terrific episode! The final stretch of the show has been great so far!
9/10
Critical Care is one of my favorites!

I don't like any of the TNG crossover eps.
I was a desperate attempt to boost ratings(which I can understand the reasons) but I hate the fact they had to bring in TNG characters for that when you have really good characters like Tuvok, Neelix or Chakotay that could have used more screen time & development. I would have rather have seen them use the time to wrap up the loose ends with Maquis members, rather than have to devote time to annoying characters like Barclay & Troi again.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 04:26 AM   #1747
AdmiralScreed
Captain
 
AdmiralScreed's Avatar
 
Re: Does It Get Better???

Hey folks! I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow to take an audition. I'll be gone about a week. I might watch some Voyager on the way back, but don't be surprised if I don't do another review for a week or so. Teacake, you get the keys to the thread. Take good care of her until I return. It won't be that long, so don't get any crazy ideas......
__________________
Aim For The Stars...
AdmiralScreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 04:51 AM   #1748
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Does It Get Better???

AdmiralScreed wrote: View Post
Teacake, you get the keys to the thread. Take good care of her until I return. It won't be that long, so don't get any crazy ideas......
Oh my!

Such responsibility. Don't worry Admiral Screed you know I respect you and the admiralty and everything it stands for. I promise this thread will remain TRUE to its purpose!

And here, let's kick off the threadsitting with what we all know this forum is really about:

__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 06:39 AM   #1749
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: Does It Get Better???



...that was...beyond brilliant

I feel a Weird Science moment coming on...

Last edited by lurok; February 1 2013 at 06:53 AM.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 07:11 AM   #1750
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Does It Get Better???

Janeway looks like she should be zapping her tongue out at a moth in that gif!
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 07:21 AM   #1751
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Does It Get Better???

AdmiralScreed wrote: View Post
Hey folks! I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow to take an audition. I'll be gone about a week. I might watch some Voyager on the way back, but don't be surprised if I don't do another review for a week or so. Teacake, you get the keys to the thread. Take good care of her until I return. It won't be that long, so don't get any crazy ideas......
Break a leg, Admiral! (I still observe theatre superstitions)
__________________
Curly: If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' til you do succeed.
--Movie Maniacs (1936)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 12:53 PM   #1752
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain
 
You_Will_Fail's Avatar
 
Location: Trill, Federation World and Proud
Re: Does It Get Better???

Cool, this thread is back :-)
I shall be reading through the reviews -_-

Edit - so you definitely do have a new enthusiasm for VOY now reflected in more generous scores, a good few higher than I would give. For me Unimatrix Zero and Fury were ultimate garbage, full of endless plot holes and wasted opportunities. There wasn't a single moment in "Fury" when the characters even talked to Kes properly, literally unbelivable.
As for Zero, ugh, so boring and illogically plotted. Repression is pretty terrible.
On the other hand, I agree that season 6 is strong, it has some weak episodes but generally it's pretty good and it has some triple A grade Trek for me.
__________________
My 30 Favorite Star Trek Episodes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U4y_sR7l7Y
My 15 Favorite Star Trek Characters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys

Last edited by You_Will_Fail; February 2 2013 at 01:23 PM.
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 05:14 AM   #1753
AdmiralScreed
Captain
 
AdmiralScreed's Avatar
 
Re: Does It Get Better???

Had my audition at Rice University earlier today, went pretty well! Decided to watch a little Voyager in my hotel for fun.

Body and Soul: Very, very funny episode. The aliens of the week were fairly boring, but the real star of the episode was the Doctor in 7's body. Really a joy to watch!
7/10

Nightingale: Fairly average action plot, but enjoyable. Can't say I've always wanted to see Captain Kim, but it was decently entertaining. I actually preferred the subplot with Icheb and Belanna. As a guy who goes for older women, I feel for ya Icheb, I feel for ya......
6/10
__________________
Aim For The Stars...
AdmiralScreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 05:24 AM   #1754
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Does It Get Better???

AdmiralScreed wrote: View Post
Body and Soul: Very, very funny episode. The aliens of the week were fairly boring, but the real star of the episode was the Doctor in 7's body. Really a joy to watch! 7/10
According to Mike Sussman, Robert Picardo videotaped the 'possession' scenes so Jeri Ryan could study his voice and movement. It might be a good indication of cast relationships and willingness to help each other out. Ryan does really well showing the Doctor's delight at new experiences. And some lines are just hilarious: "You became sexually aroused in my body!"

Out-takes must have been a riot. I also give director Robert Duncan MacNeill a lot of credit for its success.
__________________
Curly: If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' til you do succeed.
--Movie Maniacs (1936)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 07:58 AM   #1755
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Does It Get Better???

From "Iminations" to "Timeless" to "the Desease" and "Nightingale", I can see now why Harry didn't get a promotion. He might be a good jr Engineer but he seemed to mess up on every assignment he was put in charge of. I guess that's why he worked so well with Seven. He was basically just a Drone. That was the flaw in the character the writers never had him over come, the ability to think for himself.


I gotta give Jeri Ryan much credit for being able to pull of Picardo as the Doc. flawlessly! One of the best scenes was them trying Cheesecake for the first time! Hilarious!!
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Last edited by exodus; February 5 2013 at 08:09 AM.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
improve season one better

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.