Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 3 2013, 12:16 AM   #106
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

DS9forever wrote: View Post
How would someone in the UK go about buying this? I want it!
LaLaLand's website accepts international orders. They send things to me Down Under all the time.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 12:17 AM   #107
Christopher
Writer

The DS9 score of Bell's that I most remember, and want, is "Take Me Out to the Holosuite."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 08:56 AM   #108
Art Vandelay
Captain

Oh great. My main reason for buying this (David Bell) doesn't even get a disc of his own. I've been aching to get more (more? any!*) of his music on CD for 15 years now. Improbable Cause. The Sword of Kahless. Sons of Mogh. The Quickening. The Ascent. Sacrifice of Angels. Who Mourns for Morn. Just to name seven examples of his best DS9 work. Those babies need disc space.

I could somehow understand if he shared one disc with tuneless/chaotic (save for "Siege of AR-558") Paul Baillargeon. But bunched together with "prolific" DS9 composers like John Debney, Richard Bellis and Gregory Smith?

The "icing on the cake" is that we get at least - if not more - 2.33 discs of McCarthy and Chattaway sonic wallpaper. As if we didn't have enough of that already.

Deeply, profoundly disappointing.

-------
* I realise we have the score to "The Bride of Chaotica!" on CD. However, his score is a parody/approximation of those films that the episode is spoofing. There's maybe 20 seconds of "regular" Bell-ish Trek music in that release.

Last edited by Art Vandelay; February 4 2013 at 09:15 AM.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 10:45 AM   #109
jb1234
Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is odd that Bell is stuffed into that third disc with everyone else but I wouldn't be surprised if one of his scores was also featured in Disc 4 (maybe "Sacrifice of Angels").

In all fairness to Baillargeon, his score to "Vox Sola" is one of the best Trek scores, period. I don't care for most of his work but he knocked it out of the park there.
jb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 05:12 PM   #110
Christopher
Writer

^Yeah, I think Baillargeon did some great work. I'm puzzled by the criticisms I've heard around here. I love "Vox Sola," and his "Rogue Planet" score was beautiful too.

Old February 4 2013, 06:06 PM   #111
Art Vandelay
Captain

Baillargeon did have his moments later on, granted.

For examples of how excruciatingly bad his scores can be, see the planting scene in Children of Time. That episode actually lost much of its emotional poignancy because the score ruined it.

Or everything in Shakaar.
Old February 4 2013, 06:31 PM   #112
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Art Vandelay wrote: View Post
Oh great. My main reason for buying this (David Bell) doesn't even get a disc of his own. I've been aching to get more (more? any!*) of his music on CD for 15 years now. Improbable Cause. The Sword of Kahless. Sons of Mogh. The Quickening. The Ascent. Sacrifice of Angels. Who Mourns for Morn. Just to name seven examples of his best DS9 work. Those babies need disc space.

I could somehow understand if he shared one disc with tuneless/chaotic (save for "Siege of AR-558") Paul Baillargeon. But bunched together with "prolific" DS9 composers like John Debney, Richard Bellis and Gregory Smith?

The "icing on the cake" is that we get at least - if not more - 2.33 discs of McCarthy and Chattaway sonic wallpaper. As if we didn't have enough of that already.

Deeply, profoundly disappointing.
Something tells me, you'll live through this most egregious of calamities.
Old February 4 2013, 07:05 PM   #113
Art Vandelay
Captain

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Something tells me, you'll live through this most egregious of calamities.
I most probably shall.

Thing is, we had to wait 20 years to get another DS9 soundtrack release apart from Emissary. Not counting the various bits on the two best-of collections.

At that rate, we might expect another release - with a slim chance of more Bell being included - in 2033.

I'm optimistic, albeit cautiously so.
Old February 5 2013, 12:31 AM   #114
Section 31 1/2
Ensign

Hopefully the Baillargeon content is limited to "The Seige at AR-558" or even "Little Green Men." His scores for "Shakaar", "Valiant", and "Childen of Time" really hurt those episodes. I cannot recall a memorable score he did on Voyager. Though I did dig what he did in the episode "Raijin" on Enterprise.

Bell on the guest disc is still perplexing. He states in an interview at a website called "Rejected Film Scores" from a few years ago that the episodes "The Sword of Kahless", "Sons of Mogh", "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" and "Who Mourns for Morn" are his favorites and probably most likely to ever be released if the opportunity given.

http://rejectedfilmscores.150m.com/d...interview.html
Section 31 1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 12:37 AM   #115
Christopher
Writer

Oh yeah, I liked Baillargeon's "Rajiin" score too. He gave Rajiin a leitmotif with a very TOS-ish sound; it reminded me a little of Gem's theme from "The Empath," although more ominous.

Old February 5 2013, 12:54 AM   #116
jb1234
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Christopher wrote: View Post
Oh yeah, I liked Baillargeon's "Rajiin" score too. He gave Rajiin a leitmotif with a very TOS-ish sound; it reminded me a little of Gem's theme from "The Empath," although more ominous.
Baillargeon also wrote moving closing cues for both "Chosen Realm" and "The Forgotten."

I kinda liked his score for "Shakaar" but keep in mind that after endless episodes of McCarthy and Chattaway at the time, the sound was fresh and being his first score, he was able to get away with more until he got toned down some. I agree his work on "Valiant" was damaging.
Old February 5 2013, 01:06 AM   #117
Christopher
Writer

All this is just convincing me we need an Enterprise soundtrack box set.

Old February 5 2013, 01:15 AM   #118
Section 31 1/2
Ensign

Agreed. It's funny, Enterprise was the shortest running spin-off series yet it employed the most composers. Dennis McCarthy, Jay Chattaway, David Bell, Velton Ray Bunch, Paul Baillargeon, Brian Tyler, John Frizell and Mark McKenzie.
Section 31 1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 01:26 AM   #119
jb1234
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Section 31 1/2 wrote: View Post
Agreed. It's funny, Enterprise was the shortest running spin-off series yet it employed the most composers. Dennis McCarthy, Jay Chattaway, David Bell, Velton Ray Bunch, Paul Baillargeon, Brian Tyler, John Frizell and Mark McKenzie.
Yup, although to be fair, only the first five were regulars. Enterprise would be trickier to release since so many of the later scores (especially season 4) were synthesized.
Old February 5 2013, 01:32 AM   #120
MickJo1701
Commander

Section 31 1/2 wrote: View Post
Hell yes! The composers we're really allowed to open up the taps from Season 2 onwards. Regardless of peoples opinion of the series itself there's some excellent scores I'd really like to see released.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote