Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 31 2013, 07:00 PM   #1321
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: Star Ship Polaris

I hadn't noticed that. It was a nice touch.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 11:58 PM   #1322
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

It is a nicely subtle way to imply slowing down without necessarily spelling it out.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 12:01 AM   #1323
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Vektor wrote: View Post
Love the way the sails close up right at the end. Conveys a nice sense of "settling" into orbit.
Agreed - that was Michael Struck's idea, I believe.

Also, at least on the full-resolution version you can see the animation of the texture on the front drive sphere as it passes.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 03:42 PM   #1324
Santaman
Rear Admiral

I can only say "ME LIKE!!" so many times but...
Old February 2 2013, 09:36 PM   #1325
publiusr
Commodore

My pick would be number 1 and 3 (Top left and top right)

The top left version should be a side view though, not a top view.

Number 3 might be modified so as to have polaris nest inside of it in some way. Polaris would be a stock vessel with perhaps many types of shells.

Number 1 should be a capital ship.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 08:56 PM   #1326
JES
Captain

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
JES wrote: View Post
Big, long ships, with tons of space for adding weapons and armor and shield generators would probably be amongst the mainstays of the THA fleet, even at the waning of the war.
Shield generators? What are those?

Shield Generators are the method of energy shield generation primarily used in the Star Wars galaxy. I guess I was really in a Star Wars state of mind when I was elaborating on how the Trans Human Authority could be a lot like the Confederacy of Independent Systems, specifically pertaining to their fleet.

Where as Star Trek vessels generate their shields I guess through a series of energy emitter grids, either a series of layers of hot and cold plasma, or controlled gravimetric fields, Star Wars vessels emit these energy fields through some sort of generators or nodes. I cannot say for certain how they work, but I've assumed for quite some time that they channel out of these generators and surround the entire ship in a protective bubble or screen.

I suppose how vessels in the Polaris universe generate shields, if at all, depends on you, or who ever makes decisions about these sorts of details. Though I remember watching an educational program about future space travel, and coils that generate plasma were mentioned, which NASA is researching right now.

Oh, and neat starship by the way. I like how the tri-hulled bow of the ship resembles the hull of a Star Destroyer, but also twists it into something completely different.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 09:00 PM   #1327
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Thanks.

Our ships don't really have energy shields for use in combat. There are probably a number of systems for deflecting objects from collision during travel.
Old February 4 2013, 10:25 PM   #1328
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

Must be just me, but I think of the thing speeding up with the ship getting smaller and more streamlined. Now its not a plane, I understand that, my gut reaction just isn't meshed with what I am seeing on screen. It does look great though.
Old February 4 2013, 11:32 PM   #1329
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Worked for me insofar as it suggested the drives were powering down, but I guess different people will take different impressions.
Old February 5 2013, 12:18 AM   #1330
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

While Vektor was building the Polaris mesh he rendered an image of it against a NASA photo which we've used for quite a while as the cover photo on the Polaris Facebook page.

I've re-rendered it as closely as I could using the completely rigged, textured and lit version of the model, and this is our current cover photo.

Old February 5 2013, 12:28 AM   #1331
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Combat vessels in this universe rely on a combination of electronic countermeasures, hull armor and point-defense weaponry to fend off most forms of attack. Energy shields along the lines of Star Trek or Star Wars simply don't exist.

They may have something similar to a navigational deflector for clearing away interstellar dust and debris ahead of the ship. It might be a powerful electromagnetic field or something more sophisticated like a gravitational beam that causes matter to "fall" out of the ship's path.
Old February 5 2013, 12:30 AM   #1332
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Sweet!

Did you guys add some lights to the cargo doors?
Old February 5 2013, 12:32 AM   #1333
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah. Michael Struck suggested adding a number of lights to help define the ship in low-light situations. There are also some point lights in the main engine cowlings and the weapons pylons.

Vektor wrote: View Post
They may have something similar to a navigational deflector for clearing away interstellar dust and debris ahead of the ship. It might be a powerful electromagnetic field or something more sophisticated like a gravitational beam that causes matter to "fall" out of the ship's path.
Also yeah. I've been thinking that's a must, and much less "magical" than the energy shields that protect lots of sf ships from torpedoes and rayguns.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; February 5 2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old February 5 2013, 05:21 PM   #1334
Warped9
Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
While Vektor was building the Polaris mesh he rendered an image of it against a NASA photo which we've used for quite a while as the cover photo on the Polaris Facebook page.

I've re-rendered it as closely as I could using the completely rigged, textured and lit version of the model, and this is our current cover photo.

That is simply damned gorgeous!
Old February 5 2013, 06:06 PM   #1335
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Thanks. Credit really goes to Vektor, Michael Struck at NEO f/x and aridas sofia - I just sort of moved the camera around and pressed F9.