RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,145
Posts: 5,434,141
Members: 24,936
Currently online: 533
Newest member: davidhan

TrekToday headlines

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 4 2013, 10:21 PM   #121
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!


Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 10:24 PM   #122
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
I don't think we should assume all Council members are at an equal level of ability.
Then what are they doing on the Council? Even Padawan Obi-Wan seemed to be stronger in various Force abilities than Mundi.
By that logic, Obama is the best hand-to-hand fighter in the world. After all, he is at the head of the most powerful military in the world.
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 11:14 PM   #123
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDementia13's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

Well, I sure wouldn't want to fight him.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards! And check out my Heroes essays.
RJDementia13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 11:59 PM   #124
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

TREK_GOD_1 wrote:
Then what are they doing on the Council?
Because they're usually better/more experienced than the rank and file, but still not as good as other members of the Council, such as Yoda with his even greater experience?

The Wormhole wrote:
Also, Ki-Adi Mundi was the only one (aside from Yoda) in that entire montage who sensed anything was up with his clones.
But I don't think that was a reflection of Force attunement. He just noticed that instead of following him on his charge, they got ready to shoot him.
__________________
Thank you very much for your concern, sir, but he does not need your religion, he has science and socialism and birthdays.
Set Harth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 03:17 AM   #125
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

Maybe Luke was so Freaked out, so much snot and huddled rocking, that Obiwan took him to one side and Jedi Mindtricked him calm?

Ben could have Manchurian Candidated the frakk out of that kid.

Child abuse?

"I was knitting together his fractured psyche."

"No, you raped him in the mind."
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 07:47 AM   #126
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

Set Harth wrote: View Post
TREK_GOD_1 wrote:
Then what are they doing on the Council?
Because they're usually better/more experienced than the rank and file, but still not as good as other members of the Council, such as Yoda with his even greater experience?

The Wormhole wrote:
Also, Ki-Adi Mundi was the only one (aside from Yoda) in that entire montage who sensed anything was up with his clones.
But I don't think that was a reflection of Force attunement. He just noticed that instead of following him on his charge, they got ready to shoot him.
I think it's also worth pointing out that not all Force abilities are based around fighting. Maybe he has really good precognitive abilities or is skilled at battle meditation.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 10:48 AM   #127
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain
 
TREK_GOD_1's Avatar
 
Location: Escaped from Delta Vega
Re: Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
I don't think we should assume all Council members are at an equal level of ability.
Then what are they doing on the Council? Even Padawan Obi-Wan seemed to be stronger in various Force abilities than Mundi.
By that logic, Obama is the best hand-to-hand fighter in the world. After all, he is at the head of the most powerful military in the world.
Your point is illogical. Unlike the president, a Jedi Council member is an active user/participant, and is called on to use his various supernatural abilities, which they are all tested before becoming a knight, then master. The president has no such measuring stick, as each who ever held that title had no measured standard for power, skill or competency. Ultimately, their ability to get that job is based on the whim of voters, mass manipulation and a pile of money.

So again, the Jedi Coucil members should be expected to be more than cardboard cutouts for Sidious to cut down.
__________________
"...to be like God, you have the power to make the world anything you want it to be."
TREK_GOD_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 02:14 PM   #128
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

A pretty good implicit argument that not all Jedi Council masters are terrific fighters could have been made if, say, one of the members was shown to not use a lightsaber... say, one of the smaller, greener ones... one that Roger Ebert would opine that using one would be "totally out of character"...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 03:15 PM   #129
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

Are the council members chosen because they are good fighters, or because they are wise?
Forbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 03:53 PM   #130
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

Gaith wrote: View Post
one that Roger Ebert would opine that using one would be "totally out of character"...
Oh, Ebert...

Somewhere a circus is missing its clown.
__________________
Thank you very much for your concern, sir, but he does not need your religion, he has science and socialism and birthdays.
Set Harth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 06:19 PM   #131
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain
 
TREK_GOD_1's Avatar
 
Location: Escaped from Delta Vega
Re: Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

Forbin wrote: View Post
Are the council members chosen because they are good fighters, or because they are wise?
I think they are chosen due to mastering all parts of the Jedi discipline, not just one.
__________________
"...to be like God, you have the power to make the world anything you want it to be."
TREK_GOD_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 08:40 PM   #132
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

The implication is that every Jedi is supposed to be a skilled swordsman. Hell, Yoda is slow moving and needs a cane to walk, but can kick ass with a lightsabre and is apparentally considered the best Jedi swordsman ("If you spent as much time studying sabre technique as you do speeders you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman.")
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 08:45 PM   #133
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
By that logic, Obama is the best hand-to-hand fighter in the world. After all, he is at the head of the most powerful military in the world.
Your point is illogical. Unlike the president, a Jedi Council member is an active user/participant, and is called on to use his various supernatural abilities, which they are all tested before becoming a knight, then master.
Just because they had to be skilled when they were younger doesn't mean they're still skilled today. Some of them like Yoda and Windu keep in shape, but others are just ex-beat cops who have been behind the desk too long.
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 03:29 AM   #134
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
Ghouleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

Ki-Adi-Mundi was of the Cerean species, a race that had - I believe - two different brains within their cranium which accounts for the tall, elongated shape of his head. Cereans are supposed to possess rather powerful intuitive and psychic skills due to their unusual cerebral construction so perhaps he was able to sense something awry and dangerous was happening to his Clones that other Jedi from other species couldn't?

Yoda seemed to be the only other Jedi who sensed something was up and promptly saved his own hide with his lightsaber. Obi-Wan would have been dead had Commander Cody's cannon blast impacted any closer to him than it did, so we know Obi-Wan wasn't aware of anything going on.
__________________
"On Halloween night the Great Temporal Pumpkin rises out of the Chroniton patch and flies through space to bring new timelines to all the good little children of the galaxy." -cooleddie74
Ghouleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 06:29 AM   #135
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

In Yoda's case, it seems that for some reason he had time to feel the other deaths through the Force before he was attacked. But this didn't seem to apply to any other Jedi that we know of.
__________________
Thank you very much for your concern, sir, but he does not need your religion, he has science and socialism and birthdays.
Set Harth is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
star wars

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.