Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 22 2012, 12:28 PM   #991
Pingfah
Admiral

Re: Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Harvey wrote: View Post

On the other hand, if it does go on, Chase has proven that he is a dick (Perhaps even a racist? Unless he was just trying to be fired.) and his departure will not be missed.
Chase was complaining about the offensive lines his character is given when he used the N word, suggesting that they'd be having the character say things like that next. I don't see any grounds for accusing him of being a racist.
Old November 22 2012, 12:31 PM   #992
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

It's a pity that Chevy had to be such an unlikeable asshole, Pierce was actually an okay character at the beginning. But at this point, he's no great loss. It's weird that he'd be dropped with only two episodes to go though.
Old November 22 2012, 04:25 PM   #993
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

"Better late than never" seems pretty apt to me.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 07:46 PM   #994
Harvey
Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post

On the other hand, if it does go on, Chase has proven that he is a dick (Perhaps even a racist? Unless he was just trying to be fired.) and his departure will not be missed.
Chase was complaining about the offensive lines his character is given when he used the N word, suggesting that they'd be having the character say things like that next. I don't see any grounds for accusing him of being a racist.
You're right; I had just read that he dropped the N-word, not the context that he did so. (Although I still wonder if he did so to encourage being fired).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 08:04 PM   #995
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Perhaps, but I always got the impression that he was being written as the archetypical out-of-touch old man set in his outdated ways in a charming kind of way, whereas Chase was portraying him as a racist asshat. You know, more like characters such as Grandpa on the Simpsons, just not quite as senile.

The former was certainly the case early on, and even explored by showing where it all came from via his father. Chase just had the... charisma?... to make him into a despicable, loathsome jackass and I guess the writer's obliged to some degree.

I'm particularly convinced this theory is true simply because of how many times Chase has claimed that he just didn't get the show, the humor, or the character.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 09:25 AM   #996
tighr
Commodore

Season one episodes certainly seem to agree with your assessment. Pierce started out as just a clueless old white guy. For whatever reason, be it Chase himself or the writers, the character evolved into the asshat he is today.

This isn't always bad. Troy has also evolved away from originally conceived. Many other shows have this happen as well when certain actors begin to find their character's voice or when writers start writing to an actor's strength. Its worked for Jim Parsons on TBBT, and he's even parlayed that into some Emmy wins.
Old November 24 2012, 03:39 PM   #997
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
Season one episodes certainly seem to agree with your assessment. Pierce started out as just a clueless old white guy. For whatever reason, be it Chase himself or the writers, the character evolved into the asshat he is today.
This. I think if I was Chase, I might not be thrilled with that development, certainly if there was no redemption.
Old November 24 2012, 09:49 PM   #998
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

While I would prefer that the character of Pierce stay on the show, I've noticed that he's had less to do and is sometimes barely in the episodes (unless it's specifically Pierce-centric). And considering how unhappy Chevy Chase seems to be about the job, I guess it's better for everyone involved that he just leave. I think the show would be just fine without him (assuming that it doesn't get canceled after season 4).
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 09:27 PM   #999
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

tighr wrote: View Post

This isn't always bad. Troy has also evolved away from originally conceived. Many other shows have this happen as well when certain actors begin to find their character's voice or when writers start writing to an actor's strength. Its worked for Jim Parsons on TBBT, and he's even parlayed that into some Emmy wins.
That's because Parsons is a very talented and smart actor. He has been able to keep the ultra obnoxious Sheldon as lovable/likable as ever.

Chevy on the other hand, I think, simply lacks the acting talent and smarts to simultaneously make Pierce a racist, homophobic, out of touch asshat, while keeping the character funny, relevant to the rest of the characters and the show, and most of all, likable.

You put the right actor in Chevy's place (read; an actor with real talent) and everyone suddenly loves the obnoxious racist, and very funny, Pierce, no matter how the character is written. As it is, many people otherwise devoted to the show, despise both Pierce and Chase.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 04:27 AM   #1000
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

It seems like it's been forever...but it's only five more agonizing days until the return of "Community" this Thursday. I'm excited. Anyone else still excited?

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 05:29 AM   #1001
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

Yup! Really excited for the return of the best sitcom on television!

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 05:35 AM   #1002
Skywalker
Admiral

It's finally coming back? Cool. Cool cool cool.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 06:22 AM   #1003
tighr
Commodore

October 19th can't come soon enough.
Old February 4 2013, 07:17 PM   #1004
FFunctionalData
Lieutenant Commander

I have to start watching my community DVDs
FFunctionalData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 08:24 PM   #1005
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I was excited when Community popped back up on my DVR schedule this week.