Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 4 2013, 03:41 AM   #31
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Re: Build-Up to The Office Finale

the G-man wrote: View Post
J.T.B. wrote: View Post
And what exactly does Jim's business do, anyway?
Same thing as the businesses that employed Chandler Bing and Ward Cleaver
With their investor dropping out, I wonder if it'll more reflect Entertainment 7wenty.

The Jim and Pam things is pretty weak. It seems a way to (slowly) phase Jim and Pam out of Dunder Mifflin. I would be surprised if Pam doesn't move to Philly by the end of the season. I'm still wondering why they haven't fired her. They revealed how terrible of a salesperson she is, she left with Michael to form the Michael Scott Paper Company, and when not selling (which seems more often than not), her sole responsibility seems to be to sign for pens...

This week's episode was really annoying with not-Roy defacing Pam's mural. I think it would have fit better if it was Roy. Maybe his marriage falls apart and he's working for Dunder Mifflin again, sees Pam's mural, blames her for the sad state of his life, and defaces the mural (which is something I see him doing).
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 03:41 AM   #32
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
You haven't seen the final episode, or you don't recall all of it, because I was only telling half the truth.
You're right. I don't recall all of it. I remember Jeaneane Garafalo's character (their now-adult daughter narrating) saying they split up. Was there an epilogue where they got remarried?
Some time after the previous episode on the very day of their wedding anniversary they bump into Lyle Lovett who married them on that cruise before the pilot... It turns out that he was a regular dude in fancy dress and not a real priest at all so they had never been married. They try really hard to get married on that very day to retain the same wedding anniversary but fail, or give up with seconds to spare because they decide that how it is now is what works, and to actually get married would change things too much and ruin their perfect relationship. A lot of time later they broke up because "she stopped being kind" 10 years later they sit beside eachother in a theatre to see Mable's final project for filmschool which is all about how awesome her parents are, and then, caught up in all that nostalgia, they leave together and never part again.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 03:59 AM   #33
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
With their investor dropping out, I wonder if it'll more reflect Entertainment 7wenty.

The Jim and Pam things is pretty weak. It seems a way to (slowly) phase Jim and Pam out of Dunder Mifflin. I would be surprised if Pam doesn't move to Philly by the end of the season. I'm still wondering why they haven't fired her. They revealed how terrible of a salesperson she is, she left with Michael to form the Michael Scott Paper Company, and when not selling (which seems more often than not), her sole responsibility seems to be to sign for pens...

This week's episode was really annoying with not-Roy defacing Pam's mural. I think it would have fit better if it was Roy. Maybe his marriage falls apart and he's working for Dunder Mifflin again, sees Pam's mural, blames her for the sad state of his life, and defaces the mural (which is something I see him doing).
It's possible that when Michael got them all rehired that their was a clause in the contract to make sure they couldn't be refired immediately or without good cause. Michael isn't very bright, but he must have been burnt enough in his life to see that coming which is why he should have been able to guarantee their safety for at least 5 years.

She's either outright unfireable or Pam has a multi million dollar golden parachute for a limited amount of time she would know about if she was the sort of person to read her own contract.

In third form (14 years old?) this girl was wandering about the class room asking all the boys mostly in ear shot of each other if they wanted to be her girlfriend. I heard a successive rally of noes from lads who were really wigged by the proposition until she asked the fat short geeky kid who jumped at the bait... Half a second later at the top of her lungs she screams "YOU'RE DUMPED!!!!!"

Same principle.

Old February 4 2013, 04:17 AM   #34
the G-man
Commodore

Venardhi wrote: View Post
It was shown time and time again in the first season or two that beneath his trying too hard and lacking common sense in certain social situations, he was a capable professional and often had a better hold on a situation than the people around him. His occasional offensiveness was part of his charm because it was never malicious.
It might not have been malicious but he was racist and sexist. It was part of the character. As the show went on those aspects were toned down and he just got dumber and dumber, with the driving into a lake because his GPS told him to being the tipping point.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 05:09 AM   #35
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Yes, but ignorance is looked upon with a lot more forgiveness, and that is why he was still likable in spite of those faults.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 05:47 AM   #36
Jono
Rear Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post

She's not a salesperson, she's the office administrator now.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 05:56 AM   #37
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The office administrator job is made up.

She just said she was the OA and dared anyone to call her liar.

Made up jobs are paid with made up money.

Old February 4 2013, 05:11 PM   #38
Ood Sigma
Commander

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Does anyone know when Andy comes back? This is way too long an absence. And I didn't know about Krasinski leaving early, that makes me worried about how stupid they're going to go with this...
I believe Andy is back with this week's episode [2/7/13]. At least, when I went to nbc.com to watch last week's, they were promoting his return for the next episode.

Last edited by Ood Sigma; February 4 2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: punctuation
Ood Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 07:45 AM   #39
Jono
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The office administrator job is made up.

She just said she was the OA and dared anyone to call her liar.

Made up jobs are paid with made up money.
It was made up but she got Sabre to accept that it was her position in the branch.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 11:12 AM   #40
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

One episode of Andy coming back and I really wish he hadn't come back. I almost forgot how annoying they had made him.

I did love Dwight's impression of him though.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 05:25 PM   #41
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

They made Andy as much of an abusive partner as one can and keep at TVPG rating.
Old February 10 2013, 08:52 PM   #42
J.T.B.
Commodore

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
I did love Dwight's impression of him though.
Yeah that was funny. I have to say, too, that Dwight's interview of Trevor the week before was the hardest I've laughed all season. Trevor's appearances have all been good, really.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 03:02 AM   #43
Mr Light
Admiral

I don't like what they did with Andy. He spent all that time and effort to win back Erin at the end of last season, then immediately ditches her and disappears for three months without talking to her? Bull. They should have just written her off the show while he was gone and had them away together. Do they really need to be destroying the Andy/Erin and Jim/Pam and Angela relationships all at once???

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 03:41 AM   #44
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I like what they're doing with Jim & Pam. After making them the token romance of the entire show they've found a believable way to put their relationship in serious jeopardy that makes neither of them the bad guy.

I don't like the way they handled Andy. I mean, Office has relied too much on the 'good guy/bad guy' romance. First, Pam: Good guy Jim, bad guy Roy. Then Angela: Good guy Dwight, bad guy Andy. Then Erin: Good guy Andy, bad guy Gabe. Then Erin: Good guy re-Jim, bad guy Andy. Enough already with the trope!

After working so hard to make Andy likeable they should have wrote him out in a way that stayed likable instead of self-destructing him.

And I like the way they incorporated the camera crew, I thought that was clever. The only previous time they've acknowledged the concept that the office is being filmed for a television show is when Michael took off his mic in his final scene.

And I like the way they're giving Dwight all the hero moments this season. The way he handled the Angela/Oscar situation was paragon-like. This season we're seeing far more of his likable qualities than his obnoxious ones.

My general feeling of the Office is this.
Season 1: B
Season 2: A
Season 3: A-
Season 4: D-
Season 5: C-
Season 6: B+
Season 7: C+
Season 8: C-
Season 9: B-

After the very beginning when the show was great, the show descended into predictable gimmickry for a few years. The show was revitalized a little by the Sabre acquisition and the character of Gabe, and then they focused an entire season on Michael's ending and a new CEO, Robert California, who ended up being a waste of James Spader who was far more interesting in concept than in execution. But I like this season and the gut wrenching schism between Jim and Pam. I'm excited to see how this turns out.

It's a shame if Steve Carrell isn't going to come back for a final appearance. It'd be gratifying to see him walk in carrying a baby, then interact with the group as equals for the first time. Almost as bad as Cuddy not appearing in the House finale.

Last edited by JirinPanthosa; February 11 2013 at 03:55 AM.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 04:33 AM   #45
the G-man
Commodore

Squiggy wrote: View Post
They made Andy as much of an abusive partner as one can and keep at TVPG rating.
The writers have always struggled with whether Andy is a good guy or a bad guy. But this latest heel turn is just shitty daytime soap opera writing.

Between this, the 'cousin Oliver' cameraman and the manufactured Jim and Pam drama, this is a master class in how to not do a final season.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote