RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,704
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 718
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old February 4 2013, 05:11 AM   #976
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Ain't no question. Flacco (and Lewis) had either God or the Devil on their side tonight.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old February 4 2013, 05:13 AM   #977
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Eh, either way it's all good.
Old February 4 2013, 05:20 AM   #978
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Jerome Booger (And yes that was an intentional typo) can go suck it.

I'm disappointed with the result, but I'm really not Angry or ready to curse up a storm. The 49ers looked lackadaisical in the first half, made a good effort in the second half, and had some questionable play calling (Like losing the two timeouts early) that cost them the game, other then the play I will get to in a minute. Good job from the Ravens to win that game and they deserve it.

Now, on to the play and what I am upset about. Yeah anyone can come and complain about the officiating and that happens again and again. My question is were the refs out to call everything against the 49ers? While yeah some of the penalties the 49ers made were obvious, there were called ignored on the Baltimore end and made me think Booger wanted to see Lewis win one for his retirement. That call at the end with all the clutching and grabbing on Crabtree was holding, and in the rule book you have to go it if it's obvious enough. If it isn't, than yeah I can understand not calling it in that situation, but HE WAS HOLDING THE JERSEY. To make matters worse, the 49ers were called on this play a few minutes earlier.

And whose decision was it to have Booger as official. Where the heck was Ed Hoculi, or Mike Carey, or any one of the actual good officials in football. Why did we have to get this annoying ***** of an official, which seems to do a lot of 49er games by the way.

Also, I like Jim Nantz, and I think he and Simms do a good job for the most part, but Phil Simms is a ****ing flipfloper and won't ever admit to being wrong. take for example Jim Harbaugh's challenge. Before the break he said "I disagree with this, as he might lose a time out". After the break when Harbaugh had won he said, "Great challenge". Yeah Phil. It was ****ing great because they won it. Why don't you actually stick to your ****ing opinion sir. If Simms ever retires, I hope they get someone who is competent to join Nantz, like Dan Fouts, who works with Ian Eagle and I like that team. By the end of the game, I was so tired of Simm's act that I almost felt like turning off the TV before the ceremony.

Anyway, so yeah I'm more angry about some of the calls and Phil Simms rather than the result. It was a good season and the 49ers have a good young team gaining experience. Now that football is over we can look forward to Baseball, Basketball, and of course Hockey.
Old February 4 2013, 05:22 AM   #979
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Ended up being pretty good game, considering it was amateur hour at the SuperDome. Geez.

Glad I won't have to listen to 49er BS all off-season...

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old February 4 2013, 05:24 AM   #980
Neroon
Mod of balance

Crabtree was doing the same thing, too - pulling and all. It happens
- Proverbs 12:20
Old February 4 2013, 05:26 AM   #981
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Neroon wrote: View Post
He wasn't holding onto the jersey though. I mean it's a fight for the ball, I get that, but it was also clearly a hold. What I'm upset about is it seemed like Baltimore comes out playing a perfect game when they didn't.
Old February 4 2013, 05:26 AM   #982
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I remember some PI that should have been called on the 9ers earler. I don't think they called every penalty that was a penalty, but I don't think they favored at team either way.
Old February 4 2013, 05:29 AM   #983
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Exactly. He was pushing off his helmet. Good no call.

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I remember some PI that should have been called on the 9ers earler. I don't think they called every penalty that was a penalty, but I don't think they favored at team either way.
And there was an obvious hold on Kaepernick's TD run that wasn't called.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old February 4 2013, 05:30 AM   #984
Neroon
Mod of balance

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
He wasn't holding onto the jersey though. I mean it's a fight for the ball, I get that, but it was also clearly a hold. What I'm upset about is it seemed like Baltimore comes out playing a perfect game when they didn't.
Perhaps not as demonstrably, but Crabtree was shoving and pushing to about the same extent. It seemed to me like a good non-call, because neither got an advantage..
- Proverbs 12:20
Old February 4 2013, 07:50 AM   #985
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
Most entertaining football game I've ever watched. Loved it!

And "my" team won!!!
That last stand was great. And Flacco was great. Fucking awesome game. I don't think I have anything else to say, but fuck yeah.

Both teams played well overall, and the QBs in particular shined; Kaepernick got rattled for awhile, but pulled it together nicely I think, and Flacco was a star.

I don't think they called every penalty that was a penalty, but I don't think they favored at team either way.
Yeah, I pretty much agree here. The 9ers probably have a slightly stronger case, but overall no favoritism. I think it wasn't a well-officiated game in general though before Baneyonce knocked the power out - too loosely officiated, too much chippiness and fighting (including one blatant shoving of a ref and a punch thrown at one point). I understand it's the Superbowl and you wanna let them play, but it was getting a little out of control before halftime imo.

I thought the halftime show was really good too, even not being much of a Beyonce or Destiny's Child fan.
"Lie to me."
Old February 4 2013, 09:42 AM   #986
tighr
Commodore

And whose decision was it to have Booger as official. Where the heck was Ed Hoculi, or Mike Carey, or any one of the actual good officials in football.
No joke. Mike Carey is the best in the league, I don't know why he doesn't get in the Super Bowl every year. I know its based on scorecard throughout the year, but how is this guy not the highest rated???

Plus, Mike Carey don't take shit from no one.
Old February 4 2013, 12:56 PM   #987
Use of Time
Commodore

Congratulations to New Orleans on hosting their last Super Bowl!
Old February 4 2013, 02:15 PM   #988
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
I thought the halftime show was really good too, even not being much of a Beyonce or Destiny's Child fan.
I thought the 36 minutes of blackout were more entertaining than the halftime show tbh. Not a fan.
Old February 4 2013, 03:55 PM   #989
Timby
I AM the League of Mallows...

So, yeah, my neighborhood in Baltimore was a madhouse last night.
Old February 4 2013, 03:57 PM   #990
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

tighr wrote: View Post
And whose decision was it to have Booger as official. Where the heck was Ed Hoculi, or Mike Carey, or any one of the actual good officials in football.
No joke. Mike Carey is the best in the league, I don't know why he doesn't get in the Super Bowl every year. I know its based on scorecard throughout the year, but how is this guy not the highest rated???

Plus, Mike Carey don't take shit from no one.
A lot of refs are pretty suspicious of the current system. Boger had 8 downgrades throughout the season and they were all reversed, giving him a perfect score and the ability to run the Super Bowl.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Closed Thread