Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old February 3 2013, 08:51 PM   #241
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I'd rather have 6-13 episodes of decent television than 22 episodes of average television.
This.

Look at the recent TW: MD it seems as if their was enough story to do a decent 5 part series, but with Starz it looks like it was padded out to 10 episodes of mediocre TV.
And this.
Old February 4 2013, 12:08 AM   #242
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but BBC America has March 30 as the start date for 7b.

First commercial I've seen, but I haven't had the TV on a lot lately.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 12:13 AM   #243
The Wormhole
Admiral

Space has also confirmed March 30.
Old February 4 2013, 01:14 AM   #244
MacLeod
Admiral

Don't think the BBC has confirmed it yet, but Easter Saturday would fit in with some previous seasons.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 01:24 AM   #245
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

The BBC confirmed March 30 as the BBC One return date last week, probably to give fandom something to discuss other than the revelation the day before that none of series 8 would air this year.
Old February 4 2013, 07:12 AM   #246
MacLeod
Admiral

^Must have missed that announcement.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 09:57 AM   #247
Starkers
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Venardhi wrote: View Post
I wouldn't go quite that far, but Game of Thrones, with its enormous scope, certainly has a much larger budget requirement so the 10 episode seasons can be justified because of the cost to do any more. Because of the nature of the show they can't get away with a couple of sets on a sound stage for some inexpensive filler episodes like Doctor Who often can. Has nothing to do with how much work goes into it though.

More accurate to say that Doctor Who is a comparatively inexpensive series to produce, with a comparatively easier schedule for the cast and crew. That seems to be true in general for BBC productions though. American productions are insanely grueling at times in the name of getting the best bang out of those much higher budgets.
Remember DW has a regular cast of 2-3, who are in the majorit of the scenes, when you have a cast of 7. You can spread screen time around more. So you can be filming two differenct scenes you two groups of actors at once. If your principals are in almost every seen you can't do that.
That may be true, but, it's also true a 12+ hour day for an American TV Actor is quite common, and unheard of for British TV, so, it's not just the screen time of the actors per episode.
I'm not sure that is unheard of for British tv actors, everything I've seen/read indicates they put in long days.

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I'd rather have 6-13 episodes of decent television than 22 episodes of average television.
This.

Look at the recent TW: MD it seems as if their was enough story to do a decent 5 part series, but with Starz it looks like it was padded out to 10 episodes of mediocre TV.
And this.
Can I third this?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 11:56 AM   #248
VDCNI
Captain

Yeah - I don't get where the British actors don't do long days comes from. There are a few times in The Writers Tale where RTD mentions the long hours the actors and production staff are doing.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 01:35 PM   #249
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

VDCNI wrote: View Post
Yeah - I don't get where the British actors don't do long days comes from. There are a few times in The Writers Tale where RTD mentions the long hours the actors and production staff are doing.
Just going by what other Brits have said in this Forum, that, that is one of the reasons it takes longer for British Productions, because they don't do the overtime My apologies if it's not so afterall.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 02:00 PM   #250
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Sindatur wrote: View Post
VDCNI wrote: View Post
Just going by what other Brits have said in this Forum, that, that is one of the reasons it takes longer for British Productions, because they don't do the overtime My apologies if it's not so afterall.
Not that they don't work overtime, there's just legal limits on how many hours people are allowed to do. Also it's down to budgets too, for the most part British productions can't afford to thrown another production crew on it or a pay the overtime on a production that's overrunning. It was one of the things Hugh Laurie said he was amazed at on House.
Old February 4 2013, 11:48 PM   #251
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I've done quite a few 16 hour days (usually on location) in various capacities on various productions. Pretty much the only people who aren't allowed to work that long of a day here in the US are the kids.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 01:06 AM   #252
diankra
Commodore

I have a friend who's a sound recordist (worked on Waking the Dead and so) and she's often done 14 hour days (come to that, I've done 14 hour days, with another four on the commute home, for two or three days on the trot when coming up to deadline).
So really, the Brits don't do the overtime thing doesn't hold water: the legal limit that Sindatur mentions is a 48 hour-a-week limit under EU law, and Britain has an opt-out - so you can work longer if you sign an agreement saying you agree to do so. You just can't be forced to do so).
In any case, it wouldn't change the central point: there are so many hours that Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise can work and still learn their lines and get enough sleep to remember their lines.
That's the constraint that makes it difficult to make more than 14-ish episodes a year without changing the whole approach of the series, and turning it into 'Doctor Who and his team of six chums'.
It doesn't explain why they aren't still making 13/14 episodes a year as they used to do. That's down to other constraints.. budget planning constraints.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 03:04 AM   #253
DWF
Vice Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
It doesn't explain why they aren't still making 13/14 episodes a year as they used to do. That's down to other constraints.. budget planning constraints.
I thought they were still keeping to the nine porduction schedule, they're just breaking up the airing of the show.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 03:24 AM   #254
diankra
Commodore

DWF wrote: View Post
I thought they were still keeping to the nine porduction schedule, they're just breaking up the airing of the show.
Not quite: the airing of the show depends on part on when they shot it, and the shooting of the 2012-13 season was (reportedly) pushed back so that half the funding came from Financial Year 2011/12, and the other half from FY 12/13. Half as much per FY.

Last edited by diankra; February 6 2013 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Better expplained answer!
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 12:25 PM   #255
Lonemagpie
Writer

Not quite: the airing of the show depends on part on when they shot it, and the shooting of the 2012-13 season was (reportedly) pushed back so that half the funding came from Financial Year 2011/12, and the other half from FY 12/13. Half as much per FY.
Yeah, they're basically trying to keep the budget up by spreading it over two years. Or by making half as many episodes for each year...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote