Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old February 4 2013, 09:48 AM   #16
Mage
Commodore

Re: Refugee Crisis: Border Cutter Silverfin - "Bright New Day"

Kes and her superior powers and how superior they really are, are part of the VOY novel The Eternal Tide. It even explains to an extend how the Kes from Fury wasn't really Kes, but some form of manifestation of Kes' darker side.
Old February 4 2013, 10:21 AM   #17
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Mage wrote: View Post
Kes and her superior powers and how superior they really are, are part of the VOY novel The Eternal Tide. It even explains to an extend how the Kes from Fury wasn't really Kes, but some form of manifestation of Kes' darker side.
I remember reading that somewhere and that actually got me thinking to a plot point that I'll hopefully be getting to soon.

It makes sense seeing how Fury-Kes was so unlike the Kes many of us knew and loved. Which is why (as seen in the last installment) every time she has a major use of her powers she gets a little older.
Old February 4 2013, 10:50 AM   #18
Mage
Commodore

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
I remember reading that somewhere and that actually got me thinking to a plot point that I'll hopefully be getting to soon.

It makes sense seeing how Fury-Kes was so unlike the Kes many of us knew and loved. Which is why (as seen in the last installment) every time she has a major use of her powers she gets a little older.

Although Eternal Tide was the weakest of the Voyager novel by Beyer, in my opinion that is, I can recommend it just for the Kes parts. They were actually quite interesting.
Old April 9 2013, 10:33 AM   #19
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

War Room, Kazon-Degra Outpost
Selkarris, Delta Quadrant

Maje Nekahr was alone in the war room. All his focus was on the large monitor that dominated one wall, on which was displayed their latest scans of the Ocampa system. Somehow the men he’d had at the mining colony had been removed from the surface of the fifth planet and set adrift in their own ships, over two light-years away from system. Exactly how was a mystery to all of them—the only one who’d seen anything unusual was an immature Jal, who’d spoken of an elder Ocampa woman.

He didn’t place much faith in the delirious ramblings of a lowly Jal, as the Ocampa had no technology that would account for what had happened to his men. Added to that mystery was the fact that a station had appeared in orbit not long after his Sect had been removed. It was similar—though significantly smaller—to the one that had protected the Ocampa up until six years ago. The events around its destruction were a matter of some debate, as the stories had been told and retold over the years, most involving a powerful warship from the other side of the galaxy—a ship he had heard about through other Sects though had never encountered personally.

No one knew the capabilities of the old station, so the new one was as big a mystery. Now it sat quietly in orbit, watching over the planet and no one was willing to go near it. His own scouts hadn’t ventured any closer than the edge of the system.

He now had to plan how they would enter the system, overpower the station and retake the planet—before another Sect moved in to claim it as their own. The problem was he didn’t know exactly how he would manage it. So he had called all the senior members of his Sect to Selkarris, the Degra’s most fortified base which was six light-years away from Ocampa. He had only been on the dust-covered world once, just after they had taken it from the Kazon-Ebrax. Though their latest acquisition would bring them wealth and power in the sector, it was a miserable place, one he was more than happy to leave to another to oversee, whilst he focused on extending the Degra’s territory and influence.

They had discussed all they knew of the system and the old station, but none of them had been able to come up with a means of attack that ensured their victory—other than a full-scale assault using every ship they had. Nekahr didn’t want to commit his entire Sect to a single battle, but it was looking more and more like he would need to. He couldn’t allow the planet to remain unclaimed for long and if, by some miracle, the Ocampa were behind what had happened to his men, he had to teach them a lesson.

Great Plaza, Ocampa City
Ocampa V, Delta Quadrant

Kes and Tanis stood in the middle of the Great Plaza. Her heart ached as she looked around at what had once been her home, a place that had been light and open and airy, was now cold and tired. The brilliant white of the plazas and walkways had dulled to light grey, the crystal clear glass looked smoky, and the once bright artificial sunlight was dim and flickered. The city felt alien to the young girl inside her, the girl who had grown up in the city for months before she had been drawn to seek out more.

“This was not what I had expected,” Tanis stated, his voice almost swallowed up in the oppressive silence.

“Much has changed,” she admitted.

“This place used to be breathtaking.” Slowly she moved over to the railing and looked up at the rocky ceiling. “When I was young, whenever my parents took me here, I would lean out as far as I could and just take it all in.”

She glanced down at the railing, raised her hand to grip the cool, smooth metal, but stopped before her skin made contact. Something within her couldn’t quite fathom why she wanted to put herself at risk in such a manner—no matter what urge she felt from her inner child.

It took her a few moments to realise someone was beside her. She looked from the rail up to Tanis, who was looking into the valley the city descended into, where lush, colourful gardens encircled the shimmering lake. The lake was little more than a pond now, whilst the gardens had long since withered—but when faced with using the water for the survival of plants or people, the Ocampa had chosen the latter over the former.

The logical decision. The voice the echoed in her mind was not her own, but Tuvok’s—the man who had been her mentor and friend, who had helped her quiet her mind and hone her growing abilities. Many had seen him as cold and distant, but when alone with him, their minds touching in such an intense and intimate manner, she had come to know who he was at his core, what had driven him and had come to value his instruction and friendship.

“So with no Caretaker to look after them, your people fell apart,” Tanis stated.

Kes felt a surge of anger through her body and she narrowed her eyes as she glowered at him. “And I suppose you’ve been just fine since I blocked Susperia!”

He took a step back from the venom in her voice, his eyes looking over her lined face. She could sense the shock she had caused him, a spike of irritation and an underlying hint of fear. For a second she felt a pang of guilt, but it lasted barely a heartbeat.

Before either of them could say another word, a telepathic voice called out to them.

*Who are you? What are you doing out here?*

It took Tanis a few moments to look away from her, his emotions shifting. It was only when he looked at the newcomer did she turn away from the balcony. The Ocampa who approached was male, probably around six or seven, not a youngster but still very able bodied and fit. His hair was dark and his eyes blue, taller than most, he was dressed simply in browns and tans.

As soon as he looked at her he came to a halt. His eyes traced every contour and line of her face. She noticed them moisten as he scrutinised her.

“Kes,” he said softly.

Tanis looked between them but stayed quiet.

“Yes,” she replied. Her stomach tightened, her heart beat faster but she couldn’t understand why.

“By the gods, it is you,” the man exclaimed and rushed towards her. He took hold of her shoulders and looked down on her, tears rolling down his cheeks. “I thought we’d never see you again!” In an instant, his arms were wrapped around her, his body pressed tightly against hers, as her arms hung limply by her sides.

His embrace was tight but she wouldn’t have called it painful. She could feel his hands shaking as he looked at her, crying unabashedly as a wide smile spread across his face. His emotions were strong, almost overwhelming so. Kes could sense them and there was a spark in the back of mind, as though some part of her wanted to give into them and hug him as he did her.

After a long moment he released her, but kept his hands on her shoulders. His eyes never left hers. There was such intensity behind them she was left a little perplexed.

“Daggin,” she said simply.

“Kes, where have you been?”

She tilted her head to the side slightly. “It would take too long to explain.”

“I’ve got plenty of time.”

For a brief moment she considered humouring his request, but now was not the time. “What happened here, Daggin? What are you doing here in the City?”

His brow furled slightly as he looked at her, his eyes searching over her face. “The day you left, the Caretaker also vanished. Everything he had done for the City stopped, they were left with so little. The Colony couldn’t just stand back and do nothing. We brought the food and did what we could to help the others look out for themselves. It’s been hard, especially with all the energy cuts and saving measures—we can barely make the lights bright enough to grow anything.”

“Why didn’t you go to the surface?” Tanis asked.

It was only then did Daggin look at the other male on the plaza. His expression was one of confusion and uncertainty. “If we went to the surface we would be at the mercy of the Kazon. Besides, there is nothing on the surface. The ground is so parched that is has been left sterile, nothing would grow there. How could you not know that? Who are you?”

“I am Tanis.”

“I don’t know you. Where did you come from?

“He leads a colony of Ocampa,” Kes interjected. “They were taken from here generations ago. They have technology and knowledge that you don’t, so I brought them here to help.”

“You?” Daggin looked back at her, bewildered. “What do you mean?”

“My abilities have grown. They allowed me to transport their station into orbit and remove the Kazon from the surface.”

His hands dropped from her shoulders and he took a step back, fear crept into his eyes. “How...?”

“My time away altered me. I am much more than I was.”

Daggin shook his head. “You’ve changed so much,” he said, his voice soft. “You’re no longer that sweet girl I knew all those years ago—you’re eyes are empty. All the joy and love that was the Kes I knew isn’t there anymore.”

Her chest constricted at his words. Their impact was more profound than she’d ever have guessed. She sensed his loss and sadness, the grief that gripped him as though he had just lost someone. His memories of her were strong; hours spent together talking and laughing, toiling in the gardens, sharing their early lives together. She had forgotten it all, the simple joy of watching a plant she’d cultivated from a seedling taking hold and flourish, having someone so close to her to share all the little things.

He is right to grieve, she told herself. The girl he knew is no longer. The life that was hers, the future she was to have, they are no longer. All that light and life, the innocence and awe, all the things that brought her to the surface and then to the stars is gone. That life was a good one, with so much potential.

Her eyes sought out Daggin’s, seeing inside him all that she had forgotten, the girl she was before Voyager, before Species 8472, before she lost herself. A faint smile tugged at the corners of her lips, the expression felt foreign to her. Using his memories and emotions, she discovered more that she had forgotten and brought all of them together. The psychic energy filled her up, reawakening long numb nerves, warming her up from the inside out.

The energy grew until she had to close her own eyes it was so brilliant. She may no longer be that girl, couldn’t undo what had been done, but for all she had been she could give life.

Around her, the Great Plaza dissolved from her consciousness, Daggin and Tanis’ calls to her faded to silence, and felt the warmth inside her radiated outwards and grow. Her smile only widened.

Apartment 125, Residential Block G-8
Ocampa V, Delta Quadrant

She awoke with a start. Sitting up she looked around the simple room, her mind was foggy and she found it hard to concentrate. Her head was filled with stray thoughts, feelings and memories that she couldn’t quite focus on, like a dream slipping away. Among the faces she saw, some stirred an emotional attachment but others faded into little more than rudimentary shapes and colours. Part of her wanted to cling onto them, to hold onto them and try to remember names, but less than a minute after she had awoken her mind was blank.

Slowly she looked around the room, her brow creased and tight as she took in the bare room. Other than the simple furniture there was nothing else inside the room, no pictures, plants, nothing to identify who lived in there—it could well have been an empty domicile.

There should be plants in here, a voice told her.

She didn’t know where the voice came from or why it was so adamant about the need for flora, but she knew it to be true. The room needed life and colour and aroma—it always had before.

“Before?” she asked the empty room. She had never been in the room before...had she?

Swinging her legs over the edge of the bed, she gingerly stood up, feeling a little unsteady on her feet. Slowly she moved from the sleeping quarters into the living room, her light nightgown fluttering. The carpet under her bare feet was soft, the temperature was warm but not stuffy, and the surfaces were spotless. The entire place felt as though no one had been there in quite some time.

In the living room, there was the furniture but no finish touches. The plain white walls, floor and furnishings were all clean and well looked after, but told her nothing about who lived there—whether it was herself or someone else. She couldn’t explain how but the place felt familiar, despite its lack of life or colour that she knew was needed. If this was where she lived then surely it would be decorated to suit her, if it was someone else’s home then how did she get in and what was she doing there?

Movement to her left caught her eye and she quickly looked to see a petite woman standing in the room, hair golden and cut short to show off her pointed, ridged ears, with big blue eyes. It took her a moment to realise it was a mirror and that she was looking at herself. She studied the reflection intensely, straight nose, small mouth, gentle curve of her jaw down to her chin, and the eyes, which seemed older than the rest of her. For the briefest of moments, the face she looked at hadn’t been the one she’d expected to see, but as quickly as the thought came to her it vanished, leaving behind just a single remnant.

“Linnis,” she said aloud, seeing a slight curl of her lips at the recognition of her name.

Old April 9 2013, 04:32 PM   #20
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

Holy hell! Did Kes just regenerate?!
Old April 9 2013, 09:27 PM   #21
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Not quite.

I've always seen El-Aurians as Trek's Time Lords not Ocampa.
Old April 11 2013, 07:28 PM   #22
CeJay
Commodore

Old Kes, new name?

Or is there something else going on here? Wasn't Linnis the name of Kes' daughter in an alternative time line?

Very intriguing stuff.

Now with a complete United Trek story archive.
CeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 03:56 PM   #23
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Chapter Four

Wardroom, U.S.S. Silverfin
Docking Berth Four, Star Station Freedom
Stardate: 54571.1 (July 28th, 2377)

With the cutter enjoying forty-eight hours liberty as they transferred the seized Boslic ship and crew, took on supplies and were debriefed on their latest engagement, Susanna Leijten took the opportunity to enjoy the relative quiet. Most of the crew were on Freedom, making full use of its holodecks, shops on the Bazaar, fully-equipped sports facilities, or even just a peaceful walk in Central Park (the station’s terrestrial enclosure). She would join them later in Viggo’s Tavern, the watering hole favoured by most of the Silverfin’s complement, where their first round would be on her (as it always was), but until then she wanted to just enjoy the quiet of the old border cutter.

At some point in the Silverfin‘s service someone had decided to have a couple of couches added to the wardroom, located just under the windows, which allowed for low-key meetings (and the obligatory gossiping sessions) to be undertaken in a more relaxed manner, as well as freeing up the table for those needing to eat. She now sat on one of the couches, her boots on the deck and feet tucked underneath her as she turned the page of her latest novel. Despite the paper medium, the thriller had only been printed three months ago, the latest work of a quirky author on Deneva who insisted his work was only released in hardcopy (a biography she’d read of him said he actually used a typewriter from the early twentieth century). As with every new book she bought, she made sure to take her time and read each word carefully and digest each page, looking for hints or clues as to what was coming next. She had to admit that despite the unnecessary expenditure of resources, actually holding a book and going through the physical act of turning onto a new page made the experience more enjoyable.

She was nearing the end of chapter seven when the doors opened. Tearing her eyes away from the off-white page, she glanced at the entrance and saw Doctor Mbeki enter. He was so engrossed in his own datapad that he never realised she was in the room, but headed over to the replicator and ordered a redbush tea. It was only when he turned towards the couches did he look up and notice her.

“Oh, hello Susanna. I never saw you there.”

“So I noticed. It must be a good read,” she said with a nod towards the PADD.

He chucked as he sat down opposite her. “If only. It’s the latest diagnostic report of the EMH. I swear that thing seems to spend more time active for maintenance than it does for medical care. Who thought that a bunch of photos and forcefields was a good thing to have working in a sickbay?”

“R&D, the S.C.E., Starfleet Medical, headquarters, so a considerable number of admirals rubberstamped the project.”

He scoffed. “Shows what they know.”

Leijten chuckled. She had heard Mbeki’s thoughts on the ship’s holo-doc many times before and they never changed. He only ever used the EMH in actual emergencies, but the rest of the time it remained stored in the computer unless it was being checked over by an engineer.

Before either of them could return to their reading and enjoy the quiet company, the doors parted again. Leijten looked over in time to see Petty Officer Illan Edris duck under the doorframe and continue into the room, a PADD engulfed by his hands. Edris was the ship’s admin specialist and handled all the paperwork that came through; ensuring it was logged in, distributed to the right officer, then filed and sent back to Squadron Command. The young Trill however looked like he belonged in Security, being one of the tallest onboard, with a powerful build that filled out his uniform to its limits. Edris however was a gentle giant, never losing his temper and had only ever fired a phaser in training. As he approached the couches, a lopsided smile made him look boyish and almost coy—it was no surprise he had many admirers onboard.

“Good morning, Captain, Doctor,” he said in greeting, his voice soft.

“Morning Illan,” she replied, setting her book in her lap. “I’d have thought you’d be on Freedom enjoying some downtime.”

“I’ll be at Viggo’s tonight, but my ‘In’ pile always increases whenever we put into dock, so I’ve got plenty to keep me busy.”

“Don’t overdo it, PO.”

“Overdo it, sir? I live for it,” he quipped, his grin getting a little bigger. “But there is one thing I can get off my desk right now.” With that he handed the PADD to her. She took it as he told her, “The latest crew evaluation reports are due in a week.”

She small frown appeared on her brow as she looked at the display. “It can’t have been six months since the last lot.”

“Afraid so, sir. Shall I pass them on to Commander Amorin?”

Leijten thought about it for a moment then shook her head. “That won’t be necessary, I’ll do them,” she glanced at Mbeki, “if the good Doctor doesn’t mind me cutting in.”

He shook his head. “Captain’s prerogative,” he said simply, a look of good humour in his eyes.

“Thank you for that ringing endorsement, Tunde.” She looked back up at Illan. “Anything more you want to offload?”

“Not for just now, but I can have another look if you’d like, Captain.”

She chuckled and shook her head. “The evaluations will be enough for now.”

“I’ll leave the two of you to them then,” Edris said with a nod to the two senior officers, turned on his heel and headed for the exit. He ducked back through the opening and left them alone in the wardroom once again.

Slipping a bookmark in between the pages and closing the novel, she set it on the armrest and looked Mbeki in the eye. “You free to get started on these now?”

“If we’re going to be working on them for the rest of the day, I prescribe some good coffee and maybe a plate of Venrillan mint wafers.”

“You’re the physician,” she told her friend as she headed for the replicator to place their order.

The Bazaar, Star Station Freedom
Tamsen System, Talarian Border

The handover of the renegade Boslic ship and crew to the secure facilities on Star Station Freedom had gone smoothly, just as it had done on dozens of occasions in the past. Lieutenant Commander Ling-Na had worked with Master Chief Syva to ensure things went as they should on their end, followed up by the customary reports and transferral of records, after which they were officially on leave.

Ling-Na had contacted Harriet and agreed on where to meet, then made her way through the bustling corridors of the base towards the Bazaar—the commercial zone on Freedom. She was always surprised at the old station, given the fact it wasn’t the largest or newest facility in the sector, it was always heaving with activity—even six months after the Incursion. But with the Silverfin, Bonito and Obion all in dock, as well as a colony ship the Obion had towed in with engine problems, a pair of freighters and a Daystrom Institute surveyor, there were several hundred extra people onboard all looking for some entertainment. At a hair over one-point-five meters, Ling-Na was smaller than most, so was subject to some jostling, but she went with the flow and let the crowd carry her towards her destination.

As the throng of people reached the open space of the Bazaar they quickly dispersed, individuals, couples and groups heading off in a variety of directions, taking in the shops, stalls, eateries and bars the base had to offer. Ling-Na kept her pace steady and her wits about her as she headed for the Replimat on the second level—even though Freedom was a Federation base, picked pockets and petty thefts were known to take place.

She took in the sights, sounds and smells of the vendors, smiling to herself at the sheer diversity available in such a small space, but with the thought came a pang of sadness. Had she followed the will of her father she would never have left the ground of Sino, the staunchly traditionalist colony where she had been born, let alone fly between the stars. He would have seen her married and with a family at her age, but she had always known she wanted more. It was when she announced she was leaving, with her bags packed and passage to Earth booked, did he disown her. Since that day she hadn’t used her family name, which was why her Starfleet personnel file had her listed just as ‘Ling-Na’.

Both she and Doctor Mbeki shared the fact that their families hadn’t accepted their choices, but whilst she knew where her parents were he didn’t have that luxury.

“Ling-Na,” a voice called from above, derailing her train of thought.

She looked up and spotted Harriet Llewellyn-Smyth, smiling and waving at her from over the balcony railing. She gave the Englishwoman a wave and headed for the stairs, climbing them quickly to join the younger woman. Llewellyn-Smyth was also in uniform, but her hair was loose, draped over her shoulders and surrounding her beautifully delicate features like a mahogany frame, in contrast to her alabaster skin.

“I can’t remember the last time the Bazaar was this busy,” the lieutenant stated in her Cambridgeshire accent. “Fortunately it looks like most like most are leaving the Replimat alone for now, so we can at least get a decent table.”

“Good, I’m famished.”

Leading the way towards the bank of replicators, Ling-Na made it through the small crowd with ease, well aware that the pilot was right behind her—Harriet was an expert at getting through tight spots. They both ordered, picked up their trays and then headed for a table on the outer edge of the eatery, from where they could watch the world go by. Ling-Na took a moment to take off her uniform jacket and hang it on the back of her chair before sitting, she may have liked her uniform and it may have been designed for comfort, but she was on leave after all.

She had just sat down when Llewellyn-Smyth leaned forward slightly and asked outright, “So what’s this I hear about you and Ram?”

She was so taken aback by the abruptness that she didn’t have a chance to compose herself, and by the look on her companion’s face she’d never be able to lie her way out of it. Lieutenant Ramdev Sholi was the Watch Officer on beta shift, a man she’d known for the last couple of years since his arrival and found to be interesting, charming and handsome. Though she knew she had little chance of deflecting the issue, she had to try at least.

“What about me and him?” she asked, picking up her fork and knife and studying the Tellarite craff steak on her plate.

“Are you really going to try that one?” Llewellyn-Smyth challenged with a smirk. When Ling-Na didn’t justify her question with a reply, Harriet pushed a little more. “Well, Elak had heard through Claudia, who been talking with Blue, who’d been told by Timod whose quarters are just two down from Ram’s, that he’d seen you leaving the Lieutenant’s room early one morning last week.”

Ling-Na could feel her hackles rise. Though she knew there was no malice in the gossip, she thought they’d managed to get away with their private meets. “I may have to throttle Ensign San,” she stated bluntly. “You’d think that someone with four lifetimes worth of experience would know when to keep his mouth shut.”

“Oh come on, Ling-Na, everyone knows Timod is the biggest gossip onboard—not much gets by him.”

Sighing heavily she had to agree. It was hard to keep any secrets on a ship with one hundred and twenty-three others constantly around, especially with the narrow corridors and cosy quarters that featured on the Albacore-Class. But still, she’d need to have words with Timod San next time she saw him—surely there had to be some reg that prohibited spreading rumours about senior officers.

“So everyone knows then.”

“Most of the people I’ve spoken to seem to.”

“Do they know about it before or after you started talking to them?” Ling-Na asked with a raised eyebrow.

Llewellyn-Smyth took that moment to take a very large forkful of her spaghetti carbonara, then just shrugged her shoulders. Ling-Na had to chuckle and shook her head as they both ate quietly for a moment.

After she swallowed, Llewellyn-Smyth continued. “We’re all just happy to see you happy, I mean it’s been a while since your last...dalliance, so it’s about time you found someone.”

“Speaking of ‘dalliances’, is anyone new in your life that you’ve neglected to tell me about?”

“Good morning ladies,” a deep voice interrupted.

They both looked in the direction it originated and found Lieutenant Commander Kolanis Daezan approaching their table, an easy smile on his naturally tanned face and a slim redhead on his arm. From the corner of her eye she noticed Llewellyn-Smyth’s posture stiffen slightly, then she glanced down at the table for a moment before refocusing on the Silverfin’s Ops Manager.

“Morning Kolanis,” Ling-Na replied.

“Hello,” added Harriet, her eyes flicking to the redhead.

“Enjoying all the Bazaar has to offer?”

“We’ve just got here really. The plan is have an early lunch, hit the shops, then get ready for tonight,” she explained. “Will you be joining us?”

“Wouldn’t miss it,” he told them. A second later he suddenly seemed to realise he was with someone and looked at the woman who was with him. “Sorry, where are my manners. This is Lieutenant Quinn Burke, the Operations Chief from the Bonito. Quinn, this is Lieutenant Commander Ling-Na, our Second and Tactical Officer, and Lieutenant Harriet Llewellyn-Smyth, Senior Conn Officer.”

“Hello Commander, Lieutenant,” Burke said, her voice sounding far younger than her years. “It’s a pleasure to meet some of the infamous crew of the Silverfin, other than Kolanis of course.”

“It’s nice to meet you too.”

“We met a couple months ago, when we were here on Freedom for that demonstration on the new trans-spectral sensor array. Neither of us seemed overly enthused about it, which put us in a minority of two, since then we’ve been corresponding back and forth when we can,” Daezan explained.

“You techie types have to stick together,” Llewellyn-Smyth quipped, her smile more polite than amused. “Will you be joining us tonight?”

“I wish I could,” said Burke, soundly truly disappointed, “but we’re due to depart at sixteen hundred.”

“So we don’t have a lot of time today, and we’ve still got that Bolian place to try, as well as our holodeck reservation,” Daezan interjected.

“We’d best not keep you then,” offered Ling-Na. “We’ll see you tonight Kolanis and good luck out there, Lieutenant.”

“Thanks and you too, Commander.”

“Cheerio,” Harriet added as the couple headed towards the stairs.

Ling-Na watched them go for a moment then turned back to find her friend tearing through her meal, as though it was the first thing she’d eaten in days. There was a sullen silence hanging over the table, the jovial nature of their banter had been lost. Ling-Na ate quietly for a few minutes, studying the younger woman intensely and kicking herself for being so blind.

After five minutes, she’d had enough of the unnatural stillness and leaned forward, seeking a little payback, but also wanting to see what support she could give her friend.

“So what’s going on between you and Kolanis?”

Harriet Llewellyn-Smyth’s face turned brighter than a red alert klaxon and Ling-Na had to bite the inside of her cheeks to keep from laughing.

Old June 16 2013, 04:23 PM   #24
CeJay
Commodore

Awkward ... funny but awkward. At least for Harriet.

Nice to see the crew catch some downtime. Something tells me they're gonna need the rest for what is coming next.

Old June 18 2013, 08:40 PM   #25
admiralelm11
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to admiralelm11

Liking what I see so far. Keep up the great work, Bry. You've got some truly magnificent characters here. In fact, I saw a Netflix show with your captain in a couple episodes recently.

It's called "House of Cards" with Kevin Spacey and its a remake of a Brit show from, I think, the 70s.
Old July 2 2013, 12:17 PM   #26
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Bridge, Kazon-Degra Destroyer Draxorr
En Route to the Ocampa System, Delta Quadrant

The dual-levelled bridge of Maje Nekahr flagship was filled to capacity. From the command gangway, he could look down upon his crew as he led them into their latest battle. None of them knew what to expect but they would all be out for victory, or else they would suffer his wrath for their failure.

Even after ordering his scouts into the system to learn more of the situation, they could report back nothing more than their initial sweeps. The station remained in orbit above the mining outpost, but there were no lifesigns on the surface, no ships providing protection, no signals or links between the new station and the Ocampa who lived beneath the surface. There had been a few shuttles over the last two days, but they too had stopped. All scans of the station refused to give any hint as to their weaponry.

They would soon find out what the station could do. Nehakr was leading nine destroyers and seventy-three attack ships (three-quarters of the Kazon-Degra armada) towards Ocampa, all under orders to succeed. It was a risky manoeuvre as it left their other holdings vulnerable from neighbouring Sects, but he wanted to show all those who would oppose them just what they would face if they tried to do what the Ocampa had somehow managed.

“Time,” he bellowed.

“We will enter the system in forty-two tahks,” the navigator responded instantly.

They still had some time until they reached the planet, not much but enough to ensure everything was ready for the battle they would soon begin. He had to show the Degra’s strength, so he knew that the station would be destroyed. Part of him was even considering opening up the ground and bombarding the underground cities of the Ocampa from orbit, wiping them out once and for all. The men who worked the mines always looked forward to finding the occasional stray female, making the most of her until her final breathe, but that was no reason to keep the troublesome species around. Eradicating the Ocampa would give them sole control of the facilities and supplies under the surface, including its abundant source of water.

“Order all ships to run final weapons checks and then move into formation. We will open fire as soon as we drop out of warp.”

“Yes Maje,” stated the communications operator.

Administration Centre, Ocama City Station
In orbit of Ocampa V, Delta Quadrant

Tanis was concerned. Ever since their encounter with Daggin three days ago, he hadn’t seen or sensed Kes. She had disappeared into a blinding ball of light she created from inside her own body, and he had felt something so bizarre he still couldn’t give it words. The closest he could come to describing the sensation was like an infant in the womb, feelings of such contentment that it could melt even the coldest hearted to tears.

Even with her silence, he still couldn’t sense Susperia; so he suspected that Kes was still alive and had just gone off somewhere to recuperate—as she had done after moving the City Station into the orbit of their ancestral homeworld. But still, he couldn’t help but be worried—as was Daggin. Since she had vanished, the two men, both leaders of their respective communities, had opened a dialogue. He had learned of the hardships the Ocampa on the planet had faced, the actions they had taken to conserve their power, making it last far longer than just five years. Tanis had arranged for power cells to be taken down to the city, as well as food, medicines and whatever other supplies were needed.

Part of him was still wary of the planetside Ocampa. Though they were all the same species, generations of separation had turned them into two very different societies, so aside from the pilots and cargo handlers he had sent down to the surface he had asked that the rest of his people remain on the City Station. He knew there was a growing feeling within the populace, of those who wanted to throw caution aside and go down to the planet. So few had ever ventured from the station and even fewer had ever set foot on ground that wasn’t artificial. Even though the ecology had been decimated by centuries of harsh sunlight and UV radiation, they wanted to stand in the dust and look up into the expanse of cloudless blue sky.

In truth, he couldn’t blame them—he wanted to as well.

But caution was needed. The City Station had means and technology the Ocampa underground couldn’t even fathom—such as the procedure to extend their lifespan—whilst their culture was also stunted. They had been so dependent on the Caretaker for so long that they had lost their identity and purpose, beyond simply taking what they were given—that being said, they had come far over the last six years on their own (more from necessity than desire, but it was a start at least).

“Administrator?” a voice spoke aloud.

Startled, Tanis looked across the display table he had been stood at. Junior Technician Lae was looking at him, a concern expression on his young face. Tanis had been so wrapped up in his own thoughts and concerns that he hadn’t heard the younger man contact him telepathically.

“Yes?”

“Sorry to disturb you, sir, but I’ve picked up something unusual on sensors.”

Putting thoughts of Kes, Daggin and the surface from him mind, he said, “Show me.”

Lae tapped a sequence into the display table and the image shifted. It showed the scans of the system, with the station and fifth planet at the centre, then the other eight planets in the system and two dozen moons, all of which looked just as they had since the City Station had arrived eleven days ago. It was only when he looked to the outer edge of the system that he saw what Lae had picked up. It hadn’t been there previously and was getting closer.

“What is it?”

“Our scans show it to be metallic and we are picking up an energy signature, but beyond that we can’t determine anything more.”

Tanis mused over the information. “A ship using some kind of sensor-masking technology?”

“If it is, sir, it is enormous. Well over fourteen imani is diameter.”

He shot the sensor operator a serious look, immediately knowing what was heading their way. “It’s not just one ship, it’s a fleet! The Kazon have come to reclaim their outpost.”

Old July 3 2013, 07:26 PM   #27
CeJay
Commodore

Oh boy. A Kazon fleet vs the Ocampa. Well, ordinarily my money would be squarely on the former. Except the Ocampa have a real ace up their sleeve. That is, if she'll show up in time. Otherwise ... shortest invasion ever.

Old July 3 2013, 08:06 PM   #28
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Gardens, Ocampan Colony
Ocampa V, Delta Quadrant

The gardens that Daggin had once taken such pride in had long since died. Despite the food and medicine the colonists had gotten from the fruits, vegetables, herbs and trees they had grown, the energy needed to provide the light for them to grow was considerable. The gardens had keep kept for almost two and a half years, before it was decided that they couldn’t justify the energy expenditure—after all the gardens could only feed a small percentage of the population and they didn’t have the resources to expand them. It had broken his heart to switch off the power to the colony, as it meant leaving behind the life he had chosen for himself, the once he loved, with people who wanted to think for themselves instead of blindly following the Caretaker dogma.

The containers that had once held a wide array of planets had nothing other than blackened soil in them, whilst the trees that had once stood proud and tall were withered and feeble, their bark grey and cracked. He ran his hands of the rough trunks and took a deep breath. Gone was the sweet smell of fruit bushes flowering, the mouth-watering scent of freshly picked vegetables being cooked with the spices and herbs that had grown wide in the gardens.

He had once been a man of simple pleasure, working with his hands, singing and laughing with his friends as their toiled—out of love for what they had created than any sense of duty. Over the last six years he had gone from a farmer to a politician, trying to lead his people through the greatest adversity most could have imagined. Whenever he found himself overburdened he would return to the place he had been happiest, sit in the dim light and remember all that had been and all that he had lost. Kes would always be near the top of that list.

He still couldn’t quite fathom that the woman he had seen three days ago had been her. They were the same age, but she looked as though she was over nine. It wasn’t her age that shocked him the most, it was her way. Kes had been the best of them; kind and compassionate to a fault, but with a strength and passion that came from deep within. The woman he had seen on the Great Plaza was cold and distant, within whom he could only sense anger and bitterness. What had happened to change her so dramatically?

Only she would know the answer and he had no clue what had happened to her, where she was, or even if she was still alive.

With a heavy sigh, he tried to push aside his thoughts of Kes. He would only have a short time to calm his weary mind before he would be called upon again to help defuse some new problem—though thanks to Tanis it wouldn’t be power-related. He closed his eyes and breathed in deep, filling his lungs with the small of mulch and soil, as he tried to relax each muscle.

Daggin had only been at it for a short time when he felt a pulse of heat. It lasted barely a second and it was only after it passed that he noticed just how cool the gardens were.

*Hello Daggin,* a frail yet familiar voice sounded in his head.

He opened his eyes and found Kes standing before him. It took him a moment to realise who she was as she looked older than she had before. Her hair had lost any hint of grey, now pure white, her skin was paler and more wrinkled, her posture hunched and her frame fragile, but it was her. As he opened his mind once again, he could sense that the darkness that had shrouded her had lifted somehow—she was by no means the bright and joyous girl she had been, but the void he’d sensed within her before wasn’t the same. From somewhere deep within the withered woman he had once known he could sense hope.

“Kes,” he said breathlessly, slowly standing.

A faint smile tugged at her cracked lips but didn’t reach her eyes. “I see you’re still flouting tradition.” On a world of telepaths it was rare to speak aloud, to the point where those who chose to do so were looked down upon. In the colony they had all chosen to use verbal communication above telepathic, reserving it for only the most intimate of relationships.

“I may not live in the colony anymore, but I am who I am.”

“Yes you are.”

“Kes,” he began then paused. There was so much he wanted to ask, so much he wanted to know that he didn’t know where to begin. His eyes traced her wrinkled features, which made her look even more fragile than when her skin had been taut and cheeks rosy. He stepped forward, reached out and cupped her left cheek. Part of him had expected to feel it cold and rough like the tree bark, but she was as warm as he was and her skin was soft. “What’s happening to you?” His voice was so soft that it didn’t echo around the still garden.

She pulled her head away from his hand, faster than he thought she was able to move, and turned her back on him. For a moment he was afraid she would vanish again, but after a beat she glanced over her shoulder at him. For the briefest of moments he though he saw something of the old Kes he knew in her eyes.

“I’m...I’m not who I was, Daggin. During my time onboard Voyager we encountered an alien species and after I touched their minds, my abilities grew and grew. They haven’t stopped developing since that day, and every time I push myself to my limits it takes a toll on my body. I...I just never realised how much until I was back here.”

“Couldn’t Voyager’s crew help you?”

She shook her head. “When I started to change I left the ship in order to protect them. But I was alone for so long, being bombarded with thoughts, feelings and sensations from so many minds that I got lost. I forgot who I was and began to focus on all I had lost. It...changed me, Daggin, corrupted my spirit.”

“You seem a little more like yourself now,” he told her, a lopsided smile tugging at his lips.

She looked up at the rocky ceiling thirty meters above them, but she seemed to be looking right through it. “For the first time in too long, I have done something selfless...” A very faint smile touched her bright blue eyes.

“What was it?”

*Daggin!* Tanis’ voice called out telepathically, an edge to it that made Daggin nervous.

*What is it?*

*A Kazon fleet has entered the system and on a direct course for the City Station.*

“By the gods,” he gasped, the blood draining from his face.

*Daggin, get the people to the emergency shelters,* Kes instructed as she turned back to face him. *Tanis, I will be onboard momentarily.*

*Kes? When did you return?*

*Not now, Tanis.* She looked at Daggin square in the eyes. “Keep them safe.”

“Kes,” he called to her, “be careful.”

“I will be back, Daggin.”

With that there was a brief flash of light and he found himself once again alone in the gardens. He looked up at the manmade ceiling, wishing that he could do something more, but his place was in the city looking after his people. He would have to leave their defence up to Tanis and Kes, and hope that they would see them all through.

As he jogged back towards the city, he opened his mind as far as he could and calmly began telling all those he could to get to the shelters. They in turn would open their minds up as well and so forth until every man, woman and child in the city knew what was required of them.

Great Plaza, Ocampa City
Ocampa V, Delta Quadrant

*There is an emergency, we have to get to the shelters!* was all Linnis heard. Dozens of voices, one on top of another, called out to all those who could sense them. She could sense their fear to varying degrees; the elderly, who had grown up under the influence of the Caretaker, were the worst, whilst the younger generation were coping slightly better. Linnis was more anxious than fearful, all she heard was the same message. No one knew any more than that and she didn’t like not knowing.

Dutifully, she passed on the instructions and began heading for the nearest emergency shelter. The shelters were reinforced bunkers dotted all across the city, intended for the Ocampa to use during earthquakes or other such incidents. They weren’t used often, definitely not in her lifetime—though the people had taken shelter on the day the Caretaker left them, when the ground shook.

How do I know that? she asked herself.

There was no time to dwell on it. There was a tidal wave of bodies heading for the shelters and she was caught up in it. The collective sense of fear was almost overwhelming, but even as the emotion swept them away, the people remained quiet. There were a few tears but no sobs, no angry or frightened shouts, no nervous chattering, just the sound of dozens of footfalls on the metal and stone floors.

The silence and orderly chaos were too much for her. The obedience and unquestioning acceptance as much an element of her people as the points on their ears. Linnis forced herself to stop in the middle of the crowd and was immediately jostled from all sides as bodies tried to force her to comply. Pushing back against the tide, she slowly moved away from where they were heading, drawing puzzled looks and more forceful mental calls from others about the need to seek shelter.

She ignored them and pressed forward, her lithe frame allowing her to slip through whatever gaps presented themselves, or shoving her way between the people when she had no other option. In her mind she could hear their calls to her and one another, perplexed and worried about what she was doing, but the communal sense of fear kept them from doing anything but follow.

It took her several long minutes to reach the edge of the crowd and break free from them. Away from the torrid of people, she was finally able to catch her breath. Standing to the side, gripping a balcony railing for support, she watched them go. Few looked at or even noticed her, which suited Linnis just fine. She didn’t know what she was going to do or where she would go, but she knew that she couldn’t just follow anymore, not without knowing why.

The crowd grew thinner as the shelters were filled and the people took other routes to get to safety. She watched as the numbers dwindled before she was left alone on the plaza. Without the thundering footsteps all she could hear was her own breathing, whilst the voices in her mind had grown quiet, chattering among themselves and never realising she was still out in the open. As much as she wanted to go out and try to find answers, she found herself clinging to the railing, suddenly unsure of where to go to get what she wanted or even what she should be asking.

“What are you doing out here?”

The singular voice echoed around the Great Plaza, before drifting off into the cavern the city was nestled in. It took her a moment to realise that someone had actual spoken the words and not projected them. She looked around and saw a tall dark-haired man running towards her, his expression stern.

I know him, she realised as he got nearer but couldn’t put a name to the face.

He was looking all around, his eyes moving across windows and doorways, trying to see if there was anyone else left behind, so he paid little attention as he ran in her direction. He slowed to a trot as he finished inspecting all the houses and businesses, then focused on her, and stopped.

“I’m sorry,” she began. “I wanted to find out what was going on, if there was something more I could do than just hide in a bunker.”

She wasn’t even sure if he’d heard her, his eyes were tracing the smooth curve of her jaw, slight cheekbones, button nose, and large blue eyes. As he stared at her she found that his scrutiny didn’t unsettle her, but instead found something familiar in the handsome man—something she couldn’t quite put her finger on.

After a long moment he shook his head and his softening expression faded, becoming all business once again. “You shouldn’t be out here, it may not be safe.”

“How?” she asked defiantly.

He paused again, a faint smirk tugged at the corner of his lips as he looked into her eyes once again. From his expression she wasn’t the only one that was similarities in a stranger.

“We have Kazon heading towards us, a lot of them.”

She glanced up at the cavern ceiling, but pictured the station sitting in orbit and not the dark rock overhead. “The other Ocampa, will they be alright?”

“I don’t know, but they’re not alone up there,” he told her, glancing surfaceward as well. “An old friend is with them.” He lowered his glance to look at her once again.

“Why have us take shelter then?”

“Because the Kazon are savage and brutal, and they won’t have liked being forced off the surface. They’ll be out for blood and may do anything to get it.” He placed his warm hand on her shoulder. “Please, you have to take cover.”

“Aren’t you going to?” she asked, finding his touch strangely comforting.

“I have to make sure the people are safe.”

“You could use some help then.”

He paused for a moment then nodded. “Let’s get going.”

Old July 4 2013, 02:10 PM   #29
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Bridge, Kazon-Degra Destroyer Draxorr
Approaching Ocampa V, Delta Quadrant

“It appears they are aware of our approach,” stated Nadar Holek, the Draxorr’s second-in-command, the only other person Nekahr permitted onto the command gangway with him.

Though their scanners still couldn’t penetrate the hull of the base, they had picked up an energy surge—possibly weapons—and the facility had raised its shields. They were obviously readying themselves for a fight, which suited the Maje just fine.

He looked over at the communications operator, a young Jadd called Ruran. Unlike most other males on the bridge, he was gangly and pale, how he had made it through the trials was a mystery, but what he lacked in physical presence he made up for in technical knowhow—which was the only reason Nekahr saw fit to keep him around.

“Signal the Verakat and Karix, have them move in and begin an orbital bombardment of the planet, target the site of the old energy conduits—I want the mines left intact. All other destroyers are to focus on the station. All attack ships in front, move in and open fire.”

“Yes Maje,” Ruran responded instantly.

Eight attack ships had been attached to each destroyer, as escort on the journey to the Ocampa system and to fly point for when the battle commenced. The Draxorr had nine escorts in formation around the behemoth destroyer, all of which would be included in the first run on the station. Nekahr wanted to see what he was up against, so when the strike ships launched their attack he would watch and see what the station retaliated with them—after all the smaller ships were easier to come across than fully-fledged destroyers.

“Maje, all attack ships acknowledge. The Verakat and Karix stand ready.”

He didn’t bother to look at the communications operator; instead he keep watching the enormous screens before him, sneering as the attack ships spearheaded towards the station. To the side he noted two destroyers move towards the planet, whilst all the others hung back, they would keep their impressive weaponry in reserve until the attack ships saw what they were up against and soften up their defences. Nekahr hadn’t become Maje of a Sect like the Degra by being foolish. Six years ago everyone in the sector had given the old station a wide berth, aside from providing the Ocampa with massive amounts of energy no one knew what else it was capable of.

“Our ships have engaged the station, Maje,” reported navigator Settuh.

“Well?”

Settuh looked over the scanner displays for a moment. “The stations shields are down by six percent. They haven’t fired yet. First wave has finished attack and regrouping, second coming into range. They’ve opened fire.”

On the screen the second attack got underway, each strike ship blasted, none of them held back as they fired and moved in on the station. Once they were close, they broke off and headed to regroup as the third squad of ships took their place. As the attack progressed, the men below him sounded off the damage the station’s shields had taken as well as the lack of retaliation, the sound of bloodlust creeping into their tones—they all wanted to take their place in the battle (such as it was).

Nekahr should have been relishing the assault, but something seemed wrong to him. The station with its bulbous body and multiple struts and antennae, none of which their most powerful of scans could penetrate, should have possessed some kind of weaponry—the original facility had had a powerful weapon system, capable of hitting a small portion of group from light-years away—so why was this one laying dormant.

“The Verakat and Karix have begun firing on the surface, Maje,” Settuh announced triumphantly.

Just as the last word had left the navigators lips the viewscreen burned with scorching green energy blasts. Before Nekahr could demand a report or issue any order he witnessed the trap the station had sprung. From the tip of each arm around the station, bursts of plasma discharges targeted his fleet. Some were focused on the latest wave of assault ships, destroying them with a full on hit and crippling those too close to change course, but the stations main target were the two destroyers separated from the rest. The weapon blasts tore through the Verakat’s shields and into the hull. Ball after ball of energy carved into the destroyer, setting the oxygen rich interior on fire. The Karix, protected by the assault by the other destroyer, turned away and tried to escape from the ambush.

“Have all ships regroup!” Nekahr screamed. “Any attempting to flee will face a fate worse than death at the hands of the Ocampa! All destroyers, target that station and fire!”

As the Draxorr led the other mammoth ships into battle, the Verakat plummeted into the atmosphere, burning from within. Nekahr would make every Ocampa he saw pay for the men he had lost on that ship, he would have them brutalised beyond their darkest nightmare until they would beg for death.

Administration Centre, Ocama City Station
In orbit of Ocampa V, Delta Quadrant

The centre buzzed with activity, the men and women who were usually so calm and collected performing their duties were anxious and scared. Tanis didn’t need to sense their emotions, as he was feeling just the same way they did. In the past of course they had had dealings with the likes of the Kazon, and other opportunists who thought them to be weak and easy to conquer. Every time the City Station had showed its teeth and they had been left alone, but they had never faced such a force as they were now.

Just before it had begun, Kes had returned to the Admin Centre looking much older than before, but there was no time to fixate on her deterioration. He had been ready to open fire as soon as the Kazon armada was in range, but she had advised another course, one which would see them inflict greater damage on the Kazon. He had listened and, although not liking the idea of the City Station purposefully taking damage, agreed that it was a sound tactic. If they did nothing, the Kazon would start to get sloppy and then they could strike.

But now their element of surprise had been lost, they were facing the rage of the Kazon. Their attack had taken out one of the destroyers (which would be crashing into the planet in the next couple of minutes) as well as eighteen of the smaller ships, leaving them facing off against sixty-three warships. All of which seemed to be firing on the station at that moment.

*Shield down to forty-six percent,* one worried technician called out.

*They’ve taken out another weapons port.*

*Hull stress is approaching maximum tolerance on levels eighty to one ninety-two.*

He looked around at all the faces, wishing he knew what to do next. He was their leader, a politician not a warlord—none of his people were warriors or soldiers. Looking back at the display table he saw the Kazon ships gathering in two groups, in opposite directions to one another. They would be coming at them from different angles, which would mean they could focus their shield strength in one area. Their weapons were powerful but needed time to recharge and target accurately, so they couldn’t keep up the near-constant barrage the Kazon seemed to be managing.

“We have to find a way to thin out their numbers quickly,” mused Kes, who stood opposite him at the table.

“We’re doing all we can Kes. What more is there? We’re not soldiers!”

That seemed to give her a pause for thought. “You’re right; we’re not like the Kazon. We are Ocampa. We have abilities the Kazon have no way to fight.”

“What do you mean?”

“Our psionic abilities, Tanis. The Kazon are weak minded, dominated by their emotions and passions—especially when in battle. When I was their prisoner I saw them fighting amongst one another regularly, they don’t care who it is they fight so long as they get to fight. We just have to encourage and manipulate that part of them.”

As she spoke, he came to understand her meaning. “We can implant suggestions into their minds and have them focus on each other rather than us.”

“Round up the strongest telepaths you have, Tanis, as many as you can. Tell them what we need them to do, and have them focus on the assault ships, leave the destroyers in one piece.”

“What? Kes we need to target all of those ships, there’s no way the Kazon will back down now. They won’t stop until we are dead.”

Her eyes lock onto his and she held his gaze. “I need you to do this for me. We have to keep those ships intact.”

Tanis tried to probe her mind further, but her blocks were up and he couldn’t get beyond the surface of her thoughts—all of which were focused on the battle. He could have pushed further but something told him that to do so would not be good for him. Though still confused as to her request, he gave her a nod.

“I’ll see to it.”

He moved away to begin signalling the men and women he knew could handle what was needed of them. A moment after he turned his back on Kes he felt a pulse of heat and looked over his shoulder. Once again she was gone.

I hope you know what you’re doing, Kes, he mused. Part of him still couldn’t believe that she was the same girl he had met all those years ago. Pushing it from his mind, he began to assemble their latest weapon against the Kazon armada.

Old July 7 2013, 06:15 PM   #30
CeJay
Commodore

Kes shows up to lend her support to the defense of the Ocampa. It's the least she could do considering that she's the reason they're on the war path in the first place. The question that remains: Is it going to be enough?