RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,687
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 812
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 4 2013, 02:22 AM   #211
Christopher
Writer

Re: Sci-Fi TV Shows that you're pretty sure only you watched.

diankra wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Never cared for it. I didn't like Gorham as the lead (though I've liked him okay in other things), and I didn't find the premise or execution as engaging as it could've been.
Sometimes someone can be a fine actor, but just not a lead actor (and the reverse). Over in UK TV, Julie Graham is a great ensemble cast member, but every time she's cast as the charismatic lead (Bonekickers, Survivors remake)... she's just not got it. There are loads of similar actors on both sides of the Atlantic.
It's hard for me to get a handle on Gorham, though. At first, I liked him in Covert Affairs. But this past season, they took his character in a darker direction, and I began disliking Gorham's performance again, and remembering why I hadn't liked him in Jake 2.0. I guess maybe it depends on the role.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 05:05 AM   #212
Avro Arrow
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
It wasn't that long ago.

Only 33 years ago.

We moved a lot, and I do mean a lot, so I can identify when early memories happened by where we were living.
Thanks for replying! I was just curious, since I personally don't have any memories from that age at all... I have a couple snippets from 5 and 6, but that's about as far back as anything goes, and even those are pretty minimal.

Although I would tend to say your first two sentences were mutually exclusive!
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 06:14 AM   #213
BennyRussel
Commander

Land of the Giants - although it did last two years so I guessed somebody watched. Just no-one else that I know
BennyRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 06:23 AM   #214
JD
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Does anyone remember the name of a show that took place on a futuristic medical space station? I remember watching a handful of episodes, and I think I liked them. I think it aired on UPN.
That would be Mercy Point starring Joe Morton. I'm afraid I never watched it, or at least only caught glimpses.

Thank you. That's been bugging me for years. I could never remember enough details about it to try to look it up anywhere.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 06:30 AM   #215
Tribble puncher
Commander

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
7 Days - Same story. -Except, I still wait for someone to come forward and admit they watched it.
I admit I watched it.
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 06:34 AM   #216
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

4 seasons.

I was talking to a friend usually into this sort of thing, who had no idea it existed.

Was 7 Days filmed in Australia?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 06:34 AM   #217
lennier1
Commodore

Tribble puncher wrote: View Post
trekkiedane wrote: View Post
7 Days - Same story. -Except, I still wait for someone to come forward and admit they watched it.
I admit I watched it.
It had the XO from SeaQuest. In my book that was enough of a reason to watch it.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 07:57 AM   #218
sojourner
Vice Admiral

The one thing that never worked for me on that show is why did Frank have to fix everything? Why didn't he just go back in time, deliver the information to whoever was in command and then go back to his room? His qualification was that he could survive the backstep process, not that he was the only person that could solve whatever the issue of the week was.

(I know, I know, because then we wouldn't have a show, but still...)
Old February 4 2013, 08:53 AM   #219
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Nope, it was mostly filmed in Canada.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 05:16 PM   #220
Christopher
Writer

sojourner wrote: View Post
The one thing that never worked for me on that show is why did Frank have to fix everything? Why didn't he just go back in time, deliver the information to whoever was in command and then go back to his room? His qualification was that he could survive the backstep process, not that he was the only person that could solve whatever the issue of the week was.

(I know, I know, because then we wouldn't have a show, but still...)
Seven Days had a lot of conceptual problems. What bothered me was how they faced a different cataclysmic threat every week. If cataclysmic threats were that commonplace, how did the world survive before there was a Backstep program? Or, alternatively, why did cataclysms suddenly become so much more frequent immediately after a program designed to prevent them came into being?

Basically, the idea of a time-travel system only meant to be used in the direst emergencies would've made more sense as the occasional movie rather than a series with 22 episodes a year.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 05:44 PM   #221
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Yeah, the show would have been really cool if they had an ever increasing supply of capsules and Franks. Did they ever rationalize that when a backstep occurred that Frank and the capsule disappeared from the facility? I can't recall. Or addressed the issue that technically the only person left from the original timeline was Frank. Every time he used the device he was being transported to/creating an alternate timeline.
Old February 4 2013, 06:25 PM   #222
Dale Sams
Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
Yeah, the show would have been really cool if they had an ever increasing supply of capsules and Franks. Did they ever rationalize that when a backstep occurred that Frank and the capsule disappeared from the facility? I can't recall. Or addressed the issue that technically the only person left from the original timeline was Frank. Every time he used the device he was being transported to/creating an alternate timeline.
Disappointed after backtracking through the thread to see this wasn't MST3K related.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 01:25 AM   #223
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
I remember a pilot movie that aired in 1994 on the Prime Time Entertainment Network, called Island City. It starred Kevin Conroy. I had seen Batman TAS prior to this, though I can't recall if at the time I recognized his name or voice.

Speaking of cities , there was a short lived show on CBS several years back on CBS I watched called Century City, which was basically just a legal drama with a futuristic setting (the year 2030).

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
Hmm, no mention of Cartoon Network's brief foray into live action? Tower Prep.

I was the only one watching that show. I knew it!
I watched the pilot, but it didn't really capture my interest.

TP though isn't CN's "brief foray" into live-action. The network has made several live-action productions over the years, two of which are part of their current lineup.
I remember SEEING Island City but nothing else about it. Might need to track it down.
Old February 5 2013, 02:16 AM   #224
the G-man
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Dale Sams wrote: View Post
1. Quark

2. The Fantastic Journey

3. The Man from Atlantis

4. The Invisible Man

Ok...others probably watched these...but still..

I watched all those, and even read the novelization of The Invisible Man. (I'm assuming you mean the 70's version with David McCallum, not the later Sci Fi Channel version with Vincent Ventresca.) And The Man From Atlantis comic books.
Same here.

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Logan's Run
Planet of the Apes
The Gemini Man
Battlestar Galactica
Galactica '80

etc etc
Saw 'em

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Cliffhangers.
Ah, Susan Anton... And the Michael Nouri Dracula sequences weren't bad in places.

If we're talking about SF pilots we remember....
Anyone remember Exo-man? It was basically an Iron Man rip off. A scientist is subject to a crippling injury and has to wear a suit of powered armor.

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
What was the pilot (I think it was a pilot) about a scientist who is disabled and he builds an Iron man like suit.. except its the 1970s and the show has no budget so his suit has buttons on the front labelled "walk" and the like*

* or so I remember been a long time.
Guess someone does remember it.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 02:17 AM   #225
the G-man
Commodore

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
Nope, it was mostly filmed in Canada.

Same thing.

At least when it comes to casting live action and animated Wolverines.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote