RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,693
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 545
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 20 2013, 02:07 AM   #1966
MickJo1701
Commander

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

jimbotron wrote: View Post
I don't understand why they would redo a stock effect completely from scratch without using the correct element.
Without using the correct element and redoing the shot in such a way that it makes the Enterprise look bland and colourless in comparison to the shot in the title sequence. I'd love to know how some of these effects were approved.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 05:38 AM   #1967
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Thank goodness they ported the main credits from season 1. I would have cringed if HTV took a stab at it.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2013, 07:49 AM   #1968
MikeS
Fleet Captain

£44 on Amazon. That'll do me thank-you very much. :-)
Old January 28 2013, 03:32 AM   #1969
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

Does anybody know why scenes shot on the bridge have so much grain that borderlines on noise compared to some of the other live action shots that look terrific by comparison?

Did they use different lighting/film stock?
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 01:10 PM   #1970
NewHorizon
Captain

mr.peany wrote: View Post
Does anybody know why scenes shot on the bridge have so much grain that borderlines on noise compared to some of the other live action shots that look terrific by comparison?

Did they use different lighting/film stock?
I would say it's a combination of lighting/film stock and HTV Illuminate.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 09:13 AM   #1971
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Apologies if this has come up before, but something caught my eye while watching Q Who today, so I thought I'd investigate.

They have used completely alternate takes for at least seven shots during the sequence where Worf shoots a Borg drone in engineering. Anyone heard/seen anything about this? I assume it's either a revisionist directorial decision or maybe the exact shots had gone missing? I'm not worried at all, just curious. And I wonder how often this has been happening and not noticed.

I also want to say how I really like the updated 'dead drone' effect. (The one that happens when a fallen Borg is disintegrated.) Much nicer than the plain old dissolve, but still simple and unobtrusive.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 03:28 PM   #1972
NewHorizon
Captain

That is interesting...to say the least. I wonder if we could get a straight answer on that from anyone? HTV apparently used some state of the art identification software to compare the original footage and match it automatically.

From what I recall, we've been told all of the original footage for Season 2 was found, minus a few seconds...isn't that right?

Alternate takes wouldn't qualify as having found the 'original' footage from the episode though.

So I'm curious...mistake or intentional. Perhaps we can ask Mike Okuda or Robert Meyer Burnett? They seem pretty open about this stuff.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 06:29 PM   #1973
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

The close up shots of the second Borg also look upscaled to me.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 08:01 PM   #1974
davejames
Vice Admiral

I thought something seemed a bit different with that first shot. I remembered there being a bit more space in the frame between Worf and the Borg.

It's not a huge deal, but I do think the composition is a bit more dramatic in the original version.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 09:59 PM   #1975
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

It doesn't look upscaled, but there appears to be heavy compression in that shot. Something went wrong there.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 05:00 AM   #1976
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Oh my god! Some shots in the episode are very slightly different!

Someone demand a recall! Answers! I demand answers! Picard's body covering up the panel while the klaxon lights are off is CRUCIAL to the show's integrity and continuity!
Old February 4 2013, 05:09 AM   #1977
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Oh my god! Some shots in the episode are very slightly different!

Someone demand a recall! Answers! I demand answers! Picard's body covering up the panel while the klaxon lights are off is CRUCIAL to the show's integrity and continuity!
Who exactly are you trying to imitate? No one has reacted with any alarm at all in this thread, so I'm not sure what the point of your sarcastic rant is.
Old February 4 2013, 05:23 AM   #1978
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
Who exactly are you trying to imitate? No one has reacted with any alarm at all in this thread, so I'm not sure what the point of your sarcastic rant is.
Ahem:

That is interesting...to say the least. I wonder if we could get a straight answer on that from anyone? HTV apparently used some state of the art identification software to compare the original footage and match it automatically.

From what I recall, we've been told all of the original footage for Season 2 was found, minus a few seconds...isn't that right?

Alternate takes wouldn't qualify as having found the 'original' footage from the episode though.

So I'm curious...mistake or intentional. Perhaps we can ask Mike Okuda or Robert Meyer Burnett? They seem pretty open about this stuff.
Seems a pretty strong reaction to slightly different shots. Really, saying this isn't the "original" footage, wanting to contact people involved in the show and this project to ask them questions about these very slightly different shots?
Old February 4 2013, 05:35 AM   #1979
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

I suppose they could've put fine-print wording on the packaging similar to what was done with Season One. Something along the lines of, "Certain shots could not be located or were too badly damaged, so alternate takes were used."

Also, perhaps these takes were chosen for other reasons.

I notice, for instance, that in the original wide shot on DVD you can see a boom mike in the upper left (it's more noticeable in motion). CBS Digital would just have erased it or re-framed the shot downward as they have done on so many other shots in S1, but perhaps HTV was too lazy to do either, so they just picked an alternate take!
Old February 4 2013, 07:10 AM   #1980
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Seems a pretty strong reaction to slightly different shots.
I dunno, it seemed pretty moderate to me. Curiosity over the situation, no demands made...use of the word perhaps.

Of course, I'm not in NewHorizon's mind, maybe he was spitting mad when he wrote that; flinging his poop and punching cats in the face. It's difficult to say for sure.