RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,714
Posts: 5,214,403
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 831
Newest member: Farside89


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 3 2013, 10:46 PM   #91
Procutus
Admiral
 
Procutus's Avatar
 
Location: Adrift in the Cosmos
Re: 2001 on the Big Screen

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
All of Clarke's novels are excellent, of course, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in the future society he envisioned in 3001...



When this thread started a few weeks back, after watching 2001 again, I decided that I wanted to refresh my memory of 3001, and found a hardcover at Half-Price Books. Just started in reading it last night; haven't gotten much past where Frank is brought back and has met Dr. Wallace. Although I know I enjoyed the book when it was first published sixteen years ago, I can't recall much about it.

At least now I have a complete collection of the Space Odyssey series.
__________________
"I dwell in possibility." - Emily Dickinson
Procutus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 11:53 PM   #92
Tom Hendricks
Commodore
 
Tom Hendricks's Avatar
 
Location: Syracuse NY
View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: 2001 on the Big Screen

Procutus wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
All of Clarke's novels are excellent, of course, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in the future society he envisioned in 3001...



When this thread started a few weeks back, after watching 2001 again, I decided that I wanted to refresh my memory of 3001, and found a hardcover at Half-Price Books. Just started in reading it last night; haven't gotten much past where Frank is brought back and has met Dr. Wallace. Although I know I enjoyed the book when it was first published sixteen years ago, I can't recall much about it.

At least now I have a complete collection of the Space Odyssey series.
I started to re-read it also because of this thread. I haven't read it in over 20 years, its funny all the stuff you forget.
__________________
Itís funny how some distance, makes everything seem small and the fears that once controlled me, canít get to me at all
Elsa - Frozen
Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 11:57 PM   #93
Procutus
Admiral
 
Procutus's Avatar
 
Location: Adrift in the Cosmos
Re: 2001 on the Big Screen

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
I started to re-read it also because of this thread. I haven't read it in over 20 years, its funny all the stuff you forget.

No kidding. I suppose it might be partly because I only read it once (as opposed to 2010, which I read a couple of times). Or because I've read so much else since.

Either way, it's always a pleasure to re-read an ACC novel.
__________________
"I dwell in possibility." - Emily Dickinson
Procutus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 02:37 AM   #94
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey Falls
Re: 2001 on the Big Screen

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
Procutus wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
All of Clarke's novels are excellent, of course, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in the future society he envisioned in 3001...



When this thread started a few weeks back, after watching 2001 again, I decided that I wanted to refresh my memory of 3001, and found a hardcover at Half-Price Books. Just started in reading it last night; haven't gotten much past where Frank is brought back and has met Dr. Wallace. Although I know I enjoyed the book when it was first published sixteen years ago, I can't recall much about it.

At least now I have a complete collection of the Space Odyssey series.
I started to re-read it also because of this thread. I haven't read it in over 20 years, its funny all the stuff you forget.
It came out in 1997, and you haven't read it in over 20 years?

Far out, man.
__________________
"In the future... do I make it?"
"No."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 03:16 AM   #95
Tom Hendricks
Commodore
 
Tom Hendricks's Avatar
 
Location: Syracuse NY
View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: 2001 on the Big Screen

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
Procutus wrote: View Post



When this thread started a few weeks back, after watching 2001 again, I decided that I wanted to refresh my memory of 3001, and found a hardcover at Half-Price Books. Just started in reading it last night; haven't gotten much past where Frank is brought back and has met Dr. Wallace. Although I know I enjoyed the book when it was first published sixteen years ago, I can't recall much about it.

At least now I have a complete collection of the Space Odyssey series.
I started to re-read it also because of this thread. I haven't read it in over 20 years, its funny all the stuff you forget.
It came out in 1997, and you haven't read it in over 20 years?

Far out, man.
It came out in 1968, cupcake
__________________
Itís funny how some distance, makes everything seem small and the fears that once controlled me, canít get to me at all
Elsa - Frozen
Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.

Last edited by Tom Hendricks; February 4 2013 at 03:48 AM.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 04:04 AM   #96
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: 2001 on the Big Screen

^I think you misread Procutus's post, because he was talking about rereading 3001, not 2001.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 1/21/14 including non-spoiler discussion for Rise of the Federation Book 2

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 04:52 AM   #97
Tom Hendricks
Commodore
 
Tom Hendricks's Avatar
 
Location: Syracuse NY
View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: 2001 on the Big Screen

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I think you misread Procutus's post, because he was talking about rereading 3001, not 2001.
Indeed that's what happen. Glad I wasn't too snarky, hate when simple misreads blow up. Much appreciated for keeping me straight.
__________________
Itís funny how some distance, makes everything seem small and the fears that once controlled me, canít get to me at all
Elsa - Frozen
Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.