RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,797
Posts: 5,325,798
Members: 24,548
Currently online: 460
Newest member: wrestlefreak36

TrekToday headlines

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 3 2013, 11:04 PM   #31
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

I highly doubt RDM would agree to return to Trek. We know what kind of show he likes to make, now: it's called nuBSG. He's firmly in that camp now.
__________________
In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 11:13 PM   #32
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I highly doubt RDM would agree to return to Trek. We know what kind of show he likes to make, now: it's called nuBSG. He's firmly in that camp now.
NuBSG really isn't too far removed from the (superior) Star Trek show Deep Space 9. He isn't my ideal candidate but we could do MUCH worse than Ronald D. Moore. Hell, I'd consider him to be a far superior writer of science-fiction than the current incumbents of the gig.

But.. no more God. Ever.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 11:22 PM   #33
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

I'd give RDM a Trek show in a heartbeat.

Any Trek show...
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 11:28 PM   #34
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

I'm not denying that RDM *could* make a well-run Trek show if he so choose. I simply think that he would not, in fact, choose to do so.

I mean, he spent all those years with nuBSG - one of the most un-Trek shows I've ever seen. So why would anyone who went to all that time and effort to make a show that is deliberately un-Trek, suddenly turn around and make a show that IS Trek? Sure, perhaps he could do it. I just think that he wouldn't want to do it.

This also applies to Joss Whedon. Arguably, Firefly is even less Trek-like than nuBSG. So why would anyone expect Whedon to ever want to helm a Trek show?
__________________
In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 11:31 PM   #35
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

Firefly is a space western, just like TOS. It's absolutely a show with Trek in its DNA.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 11:33 PM   #36
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I'm not denying that RDM *could* make a well-run Trek show if he so choose. I simply think that he would not, in fact, choose to do so.

I mean, he spent all those years with nuBSG - one of the most un-Trek shows I've ever seen. So why would anyone who went to all that time and effort to make a show that is deliberately un-Trek, suddenly turn around and make a show that IS Trek? Sure, perhaps he could do it. I just think that he wouldn't want to do it.

This also applies to Joss Whedon. Arguably, Firefly is even less Trek-like than nuBSG. So why would anyone expect Whedon to ever want to helm a Trek show?
Because he was asked ? Because he likes Trek ? Because he has as point to prove ? Because it has prestige ? Because it pays a lot of money ?
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 11:36 PM   #37
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Because he likes Trek ?
Still?

Because it pays a lot of money ?
...Okay, I'll give you that. That one might indeed break him.
__________________
In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 11:45 PM   #38
Dale Sams
Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

DalekJim wrote: View Post
An Orci and Kurtzman showran TV series?

Please don't even joke about such a matter.

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
1) God "isn't behind everything". You just learn that the Head People were telling the truth* from square one. That people looked for other reasons (chips in head...etc..) was their decision to make.
It's really embarrassingly clunky in execution. I watched the finale with 2 friends and everybody was cringing at how crass the One True God stuff was. Especially as monotheism is so fucking new. At least make ancient humans polytheistic pagans, it's so misjudged it borders on insanity.

And then we get spooky shots of modern technology with All Along The Watchtower playing. At which point everybody in the room was just laughing at how goofy it all was.

I love Caprica though. Aint bothered with Blood and Chrome as it looks like it's pandering to all those online fans posting "WHERE ARE ALL THE SPACE FIGHTS?" during Caprica's run.
I thought the point of the Japanese robots wasn't to be spooky, but rather to show that man has avoided it's predecessors mistakes. The first Cylons were soldiers...."we" make toys.

I don't understand your polythiestic comment. The ancient BSG humans were polythiestic. The newer civilization (the Cylons) were monothiestic.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 12:44 AM   #39
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

R. Star wrote: View Post
Sadly, I see the Trek franchise slowly fading away. The novelverse can't keep going on forever, and the Nuverse will only be good for a movie every 2-3 years as long as it stays popular. Maybe five or six movies or so going by precedent of the TOS and TNG movie runs. I just don't think there's enough of an audience to sustain a new series either. Sci-fi shows are way more expensive and who would want to foot a bill for that when there are a hundred other channels competing and you can churn out a new reality show that costs next to nothing?
Sure reality shows are cheaper to producer, and have a quicker return on expenditure. But how many of those reality shows will be being played in 50 years time?

TOS is still in re-runs almost 50 years after it first aired. So it is still making money.

So it might be a case of a loss in the short term, but a profit in the long term.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 12:47 AM   #40
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
An Orci and Kurtzman showran TV series?

Please don't even joke about such a matter.

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
1) God "isn't behind everything". You just learn that the Head People were telling the truth* from square one. That people looked for other reasons (chips in head...etc..) was their decision to make.
It's really embarrassingly clunky in execution. I watched the finale with 2 friends and everybody was cringing at how crass the One True God stuff was. Especially as monotheism is so fucking new. At least make ancient humans polytheistic pagans, it's so misjudged it borders on insanity.

And then we get spooky shots of modern technology with All Along The Watchtower playing. At which point everybody in the room was just laughing at how goofy it all was.

I love Caprica though. Aint bothered with Blood and Chrome as it looks like it's pandering to all those online fans posting "WHERE ARE ALL THE SPACE FIGHTS?" during Caprica's run.
I thought the point of the Japanese robots wasn't to be spooky, but rather to show that man has avoided it's predecessors mistakes. The first Cylons were soldiers...."we" make toys.

I don't understand your polythiestic comment. The ancient BSG humans were polythiestic. The newer civilization (the Cylons) were monothiestic.

Weren't some humans in nuBSG monothestic?

And you could just as easily say that the coda at the end of nuBSG, was raising the question that we could be on the same course as before That the cycle could repeat itself.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 01:08 AM   #41
Dale Sams
Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Dale Sams wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
An Orci and Kurtzman showran TV series?

Please don't even joke about such a matter.



It's really embarrassingly clunky in execution. I watched the finale with 2 friends and everybody was cringing at how crass the One True God stuff was. Especially as monotheism is so fucking new. At least make ancient humans polytheistic pagans, it's so misjudged it borders on insanity.

And then we get spooky shots of modern technology with All Along The Watchtower playing. At which point everybody in the room was just laughing at how goofy it all was.

I love Caprica though. Aint bothered with Blood and Chrome as it looks like it's pandering to all those online fans posting "WHERE ARE ALL THE SPACE FIGHTS?" during Caprica's run.
I thought the point of the Japanese robots wasn't to be spooky, but rather to show that man has avoided it's predecessors mistakes. The first Cylons were soldiers...."we" make toys.

I don't understand your polythiestic comment. The ancient BSG humans were polythiestic. The newer civilization (the Cylons) were monothiestic.

Weren't some humans in nuBSG monothestic?

And you could just as easily say that the coda at the end of nuBSG, was raising the question that we could be on the same course as before That the cycle could repeat itself.
I don't *recall* seeing any monothiestic humans (which doesn't mean there wern't any, i may just not be remembering them) They seemed to either worship The Lords of Kobol..or be your standard "Stay in bed Christians"
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 01:12 AM   #42
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

Yes but Christians are monothestic in that they believe in only one God.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 01:18 AM   #43
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Because he likes Trek ?
Still?

Because it pays a lot of money ?
...Okay, I'll give you that. That one might indeed break him.
Yeah, it's very persuasive
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 01:33 AM   #44
Dale Sams
Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Yes but Christians are monothestic in that they believe in only one God.
I'm referring to people who give lip service to their beliefs. Not actual Christians.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 02:28 AM   #45
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I don't think Straczynski is as good as he used to be, but even if he were, he is an iconoclast, one that Star Trek fans would learn to hate very quickly if he were the showrunner.
Moore isn't any better, what with his constant harping on "challenging assumptions" nonsense. That seems to be all the man is interested in, rather than, you know, actually writing stories based on whatever show he works on.
Yes, as I said, most Star Trek fans would hate him if he were the showrunner, but of course they would hate anyone who'd deviate from the norm too much.
I don't hate Moore. I just disagree with some of his philosophies is all.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.