Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

View Poll Results: What's your typical dating range?
- less than 5 years 13 20.31%
- 5 years 22 34.38%
- 10 years 19 29.69%
- 15 years 2 3.13%
- 20 years 1 1.56%
+ less than 5 years 9 14.06%
+ 5 years 16 25.00%
+ 10 years 16 25.00%
+ 15 years 7 10.94%
+ 20 years 2 3.13%
None of the above/I like to be difficult. 9 14.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 3 2013, 10:36 PM   #91
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane
Re: Dating Range?

^So, no truth in the "walks like a panther"-story?
Old February 3 2013, 11:02 PM   #92
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
I only sorta like Sean Connery old. I think he was quite unattractive young. Definitely not on any bucket lists of mine.
Really?

Scuttlebutt is the only reason he was chosen for Bond over the other (more well know) actors is because the producers all asked their wives, and they all said he was the sexiest of the bunch.
Not my type in any way, and I have a lot of types.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 01:03 AM   #93
MacLeod
Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
trekkiedane wrote: View Post

In this, teacake and I are of one mind. If Patrick Stewart asked me out on a date, I'd accept right on the spot. It's the voice. I swear to all the gods that ever were, that voice does something to my brain. Also, other things.
But despite everything it doesn't have that certain Scottish je ne sais quoi that makes your knees melt!
Surprisingly, my knees don't melt at a Scottish accent. English, yes, Irish, yes, Scottish? Nope.

Wait! One exception to that rule: Have I already mentioned my willingness to have sex with Ewan McGregor? If not, then I have just now.

Doesn't it depend on the exact accent as not all English accents are the same, goes for many countries around the world. And we can be attracted to accents other than our own.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 01:52 AM   #94
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

At 18 i lived with a 35 year old woman. At 22 I was dating a guy who just turned 17 (liked him much better than his older brother). When I was 23, I dated a man in his early fifties. My current girlfriend is 4 years younger than I.

I date people, not ages.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 02:51 AM   #95
mimic
Rear Admiral

I'm 26. Youngest I've dated was 11 months younger than I, oldest was about 5 years older.

I don't think I'd want to date anyone younger than 22, since I'd want the guy to be out of college. As far as older goes, I don't want to be mistaken for his daughter.

"And since I do not go into nuclear reactor cores I am free to trouble my brain over artificial sweeteners." - Goji
mimic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 06:32 AM   #96
Kirkman1987
Commodore

I'm 25 and not sure what my range would be. For some reason I've always dated women slightly older, but I don't think I sought them out.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 07:55 AM   #97
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post
I'd really like to see the correlation of data by gender. I'll bet most who selected older ranges are women and those who selected younger are men.
And you'll lose.
Old February 4 2013, 08:22 AM   #98
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Pingfah wrote: View Post

But despite everything it doesn't have that certain Scottish je ne sais quoi that makes your knees melt!
Surprisingly, my knees don't melt at a Scottish accent. English, yes, Irish, yes, Scottish? Nope.

Wait! One exception to that rule: Have I already mentioned my willingness to have sex with Ewan McGregor? If not, then I have just now.
Have you seen The Long Way Round? If not then I highly recommend it, I think it is one of the best travel shows ever made, and Ewan McGregor is ace in it. I'm not really a fan of any of his films except Shallow Grave & Big Fish, but he just comes off as a really affable guy.

Careful not to confuse it with its sequel, The Long Way Down though, which is still good, but just not as good as the first one.
I have not, but I shall add it to my movie list. Thanks, Pingfah!

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Most people I know (gay or female) would choose Sean Connery as their exception.
In this, teacake and I are of one mind. If Patrick Stewart asked me out on a date, I'd accept right on the spot. It's the voice. I swear to all the gods that ever were, that voice does something to my brain. Also, other things.
Y'all can have Sean Connery. I'll take Patrick Stewart, please. His voice (and other parts).

And Allan Rickman's voice.
Ooh! Yeah, Alan Rickman, too!

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Doesn't it depend on the exact accent as not all English accents are the same, goes for many countries around the world. And we can be attracted to accents other than our own.
It's possible. As of now, the only accent I've heard like Ewan's is Ewan himself. I'd wager there are plenty more, but I haven't heard them, yet.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 10:42 AM   #99
Starkers
Admiral

If I were single I’d probably be looking 10 years either way, but that said the vast majority of girls I’ve dated have been younger than me, but usually only by a matter of a couple of years, the youngest was 6 years younger than me (amusingly she’s now married to a guy six years younger than her).

Not long before I met my current girlfriend I had a brief relationship with a woman who was a fair bit older than me, almost 14 years. It is amusing because she went on about almost being old enough to be my mum, and I had to point out that my mum was quite old when she had me, and that my own sister is 15 years older than me so strictly speaking she was just old enough to be my sister. I do quite like older women, I think I just tended to rule them out purely on the basis that I didn’t want to rule out having children someday, which was probably a mistake.

On the whole I think it would be hard to draw an arbitrary line because you never know who you’ll fall in love with, but someone 15/20 years younger than me and I’d worry what we’d have in common, and someone equally older than me and I’d worry how long we’d have together.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 02:29 PM   #100
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

the range seems to change a little with age. It used to be -2/+10 when I was in my 20s and is now at +/- 10. The extremes were +10 and -21 (the latter was only a one night stand, though. Still, a nice boost for one's ego to be attractive to a young man. Or maybe he was just so desperate LOL. At any rate neither of us regretted it.)
Old February 4 2013, 04:43 PM   #101
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Kestra wrote: View Post
Emher wrote: View Post
I thought I would be that way, and I'm sure I will again. I didn't think I'd even be dating again this soon but it's kind of a nice distraction, as long as it doesn't get too complicated. Dating without being serious about it is just kinda ... fun.
I...feel I've missed a bit here. Not surprising considering I do not frequent this board as much as I used to. Am I to understand that you are no longer married?
In the process of getting a divorce. Won't be finalized till this summer at the earliest.
Join the club. Ex-wife came home after dropping her folks off at the airport when they visited us holiday time late '11. Said she was leaving out of the blue. Actually, she called and said she had filed for divorce a year ago today, which was a load of fun after watching my team poop themselves in the Super Bowl a few hours prior. We agreed to expedite things as much as possible, since the whole situation sucks, and were divorced by mid-April.

I was blindsided, felt like the biggest piece of shit in town. She had someone lined up before she even gave me the papers. It's like breaking up x100 plus all the legal shit involved.

Eventually, you just get to a part where you remember the good times, wonder what could have been, and gloss over the rest. It's been 15 months or so, and I finally feel like I could date someone again without the added baggage.

I had no idea how I would get through all of it, but am ready to meet a farmer's daughter or two when I move to the midwest in the coming weeks and get a new start on life.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 05:15 PM   #102
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Be careful not to take on the local accent (moooooh)
*ducks and runs*
Old February 4 2013, 06:43 PM   #103
tighr
Commodore

Starkers wrote: View Post
Not long before I met my current girlfriend I had a brief relationship with a woman who was a fair bit older than me, almost 14 years. It is amusing because she went on about almost being old enough to be my mum, and I had to point out that my mum was quite old when she had me, and that my own sister is 15 years older than me so strictly speaking she was just old enough to be my sister.
Ugh, that is the worst. I also like dating older women, but there is nothing like the immaturity of not being able to handle a boyfriend who is younger than you. And it seems to happen every time. They always seem to get hung up on that fact, instead of just ignoring it and having a good time.
Old February 5 2013, 12:57 AM   #104
RAMA
Vice Admiral

My dating range when I dated was -10 to +15. A wide range for many I suppose. Of the last 5 women I dated, 3 of them were 22 (how'd I manage that) one was 29 and one was 33. I was 31 at the time. My longer relationships were always with women 10+ over my age. These days the range of women that express some interest in me while Im married seems to be wider than ever, from girls in their late teens to women in their 50s.

Am I the only one who thinks 30+ year old guys dating 18 years old is creepy?

RAMA
Old February 5 2013, 01:05 AM   #105
Kestra
Vice Admiral

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Emher wrote: View Post
I...feel I've missed a bit here. Not surprising considering I do not frequent this board as much as I used to. Am I to understand that you are no longer married?
In the process of getting a divorce. Won't be finalized till this summer at the earliest.
Join the club. Ex-wife came home after dropping her folks off at the airport when they visited us holiday time late '11. Said she was leaving out of the blue. Actually, she called and said she had filed for divorce a year ago today, which was a load of fun after watching my team poop themselves in the Super Bowl a few hours prior. We agreed to expedite things as much as possible, since the whole situation sucks, and were divorced by mid-April.

I was blindsided, felt like the biggest piece of shit in town. She had someone lined up before she even gave me the papers. It's like breaking up x100 plus all the legal shit involved.

Eventually, you just get to a part where you remember the good times, wonder what could have been, and gloss over the rest. It's been 15 months or so, and I finally feel like I could date someone again without the added baggage.

I had no idea how I would get through all of it, but am ready to meet a farmer's daughter or two when I move to the midwest in the coming weeks and get a new start on life.
I'm glad you're doing better and are in a place to move on. Best of luck with your move!