Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 2 2013, 06:11 AM   #61
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Re: Weird things we do in our sleep

Aye. It's time to wake up and address this very real issue. I admit it's difficult, especially since we live in a society where a fast paced and busy lifestyle is the norm and part of the culture.
Old February 2 2013, 06:54 AM   #62
Captrek
Rear Admiral

I understand that not everyone is able to sleep as much as they should, so I’m going to help out by doing more than my share. From now on, I’m going to sleep 12 hours a day.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 07:19 AM   #63
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Aye. That's what I try to do on weekends and holidays - catch up on my Zzzz's.
Old February 2 2013, 08:23 AM   #64
Melakon
Vice Admiral

My oldest sister (who was 20 years older than me) sleepwalked as a child. One time they found her asleep on top of a 5-drawer tall dresser.

One time my ex had a conversation with me while I was asleep before she realized it. Actually, it didn't become clear until the next morning, when I didn't remember the conversation at all.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 07:34 PM   #65
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Captrek wrote: View Post
I understand that not everyone is able to sleep as much as they should, so I’m going to help out by doing more than my share. From now on, I’m going to sleep 12 hours a day.
I sleep 10 to 12 hours every day
Old February 2 2013, 08:53 PM   #66
propita
Rear Admiral

When they were still getting my thyroid meds adjusted, and I had just finished the second-last-semester of law school (so no more adrenaline), I was sleeping 18-20 hours a day. I'd get up, eat, sleep a few hours, shower, sleep a few hours, eat, sleep, see Hubby, sleep.

That lasted a few weeks, then the last semester started and my adrenaline kicked in again. By the time school was over and I was into Bar prep, I could barely think. Any surprise I didn't pass the Bar the first time?
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 08:56 PM   #67
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I would think having gotten more sleep would have given you more edge in terms of improved concentration. Did you lose any sleep when you were getting ready for the Bar?
Old February 3 2013, 02:48 AM   #68
Naira
Rear Admiral

One of my tutors had a serious sleep issue for a couple of months. She just could not get any sleep. She did not feel more stressed than usual or anything though.

Her life became a total mess. She was tired all the time and could not perform. She even got to a psychiatrist in the end. However, the problem just solved itself after 5-6 months. It was surely one of the weirdest things I have heard about.
Old February 3 2013, 07:51 PM   #69
Gary7
Rear Admiral

I can't keep chocolate by my bedside. If I have a terrible nightmare, the chocolate melts, dripping all over my nightstand and onto the floor, a nasty mess for me to clean up in the morning.
Old February 4 2013, 12:56 AM   #70
propita
Rear Admiral

propita wrote: View Post
When they were still getting my thyroid meds adjusted, and I had just finished the second-last-semester of law school (so no more adrenaline), I was sleeping 18-20 hours a day. I'd get up, eat, sleep a few hours, shower, sleep a few hours, eat, sleep, see Hubby, sleep.

That lasted a few weeks, then the last semester started and my adrenaline kicked in again. By the time school was over and I was into Bar prep, I could barely think. Any surprise I didn't pass the Bar the first time?
Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
I would think having gotten more sleep would have given you more edge in terms of improved concentration. Did you lose any sleep when you were getting ready for the Bar?
The problem also affected mental faculties--slowing my entire metabolism, physically and mentally. I could read something out loudandliterally not be able to repeat it without looking at it. The doctor prescribed concerts, to try to speed me up. My body acclimated to it too quickly as the dosage was increased until it wasn't an option (raises BP and I was already hypertensive).

All good the following year, but the meds are for life. And dosage is going up--again.

Anyway, back on topic...

Two nights ago, I woke up TEN times stretching. Last night, not at all. Whatever.

Hubby farts in his sleep. I laughed out loud last night because it sounded so funny. Fortunately, I did not need a gas mask.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 01:20 AM   #71
sojourner
Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post
I can't keep chocolate by my bedside. If I have a terrible nightmare, the chocolate melts, dripping all over my nightstand and onto the floor, a nasty mess for me to clean up in the morning.
What?
Old February 4 2013, 01:26 AM   #72
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Gary7 wrote: View Post
What?
[b]Gary[b] lives in a surrealist painting, I think.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 03:05 AM   #73
Captrek
Rear Admiral

You gotta lay off the kironide, Gary.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 03:33 AM   #74
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

propita wrote: View Post
My husband has talked in his sleep, not very coherently, sometimes in English, sometimes in Spanish. When he's spoken in English, I've asked, "What?", initially because I thought he was talking to me. He would wake up. When he's spoken in Spanish, I've asked, "Que?" He would wake up.

THE MAN NEVER HEARS ME TALK TO HIM WHEN HE'S WIDE AWAKE, BUT WHEN HE'S ASLEEP, MY WHISPERING WAKES HIM UP?! WTF?!
Hahaha... [bites tongue]... [wants to make women joke]... [bites tongue harder]... OUCH!
Redfern wrote: View Post
Hmm, my sleep patterns are positively mundane compared to the anecdotes shared here.
I feel the same way. My own sleep experience is boring.
I will say I am far more prone to snoring (or possibly just snoring far more loudly) if I'm flat on my back and will startle myself awake if I'm just drifting off and make a loud "snort".
Bill, those are the exact symptoms for sleep apnea. You need to have it checked. I am doing much better since I got my CPAP last May. Please see your doctor about a Sleep Study.
Old February 4 2013, 03:52 AM   #75
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

My CPAP nasal pillow smells a bit moldy when I put it on. But I'm not due for a replacement for another two months. Oh, well.