Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 26 2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Grup
Lieutenant Commander

Crew familiarity

I hope that the crew uses rank or 'Mister' when addressing each other. I do not believe that they all know each other well enough yet not to. The exception being (maybe) Kirk & McCoy. And only when speaking in private. Calling the Captain 'Jim' on the bridge is inappropriate. IMO.

Any thoughts?
Grup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Timo
Admiral

Re: Crew familiarity

The naval tradition would be for most crew be addressed by their surname only, for the NCOs to be addressed by their rank only (since there are basically never multiple NCOs around in Star Trek), and for senior officers to address junior officers up to LtCmdr rank as "Mister Surname" as an alternative to the more common "Rank Surname" or "Rank".

Using "Mister" for an enlisted person would go against tradition, regardless of who was doing the addressing. Using "Mister" for a superior officer would go against tradition, too. Using "Mister" for a full Commander or above would typically be considered insulting; you could just as well say "Buster Spock" and pronounce it "Bastard"... For some reason, though, the tradition for Starfleet is different, although perhaps simply in the sense that the top rank to be so addressed has been hiked from LtCmdr to Cmdr.

In theory, for people from Cmdr rank up, "Sir" is inappropriate as well: Sulu should really be saying to Kirk "Aye aye, Captain" or "Aye aye, Admiral" instead of "Aye aye, Sir". But that's something that has eroded away from naval tradition already, to some degree, from what I hear.

Enlisted people speaking between peers would use whatever they like - surnames, first names, nicknames, rude gestures - but it's common to use surnames simply because that's what everybody else uses anyway. Form of address for enlisted-to-enlisted talk is not all that important anyway because enlisteds are not supposed to talk to fellow enlisteds all that much.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 03:56 PM   #3
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I don't see why Starfleet should follow the U.S. naval tradition.
Old January 26 2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Grup wrote: View Post
I hope that the crew uses rank or 'Mister' when addressing each other. I do not believe that they all know each other well enough yet not to. The exception being (maybe) Kirk & McCoy. And only when speaking in private. Calling the Captain 'Jim' on the bridge is inappropriate. IMO.
We've already seen time and again how they address one another. And they know each other exceptionally well. This seems like an odd thing to get hung up on after forty years.

Any thoughts?
Only that you probably meant this to go in Movies XI+
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2013, 06:37 PM   #5
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Any thoughts?
Assuming you're talking about Into Darkness, from what I remember of the opening 9-minutes Sulu and Uhura called each other "Sulu" and "Uhura", with Kirk using "Uhura", "Scotty" and "Bones". Only Spock invoked rank.

This Trek has even less of an emphasis on ranks than the old. All are trained, one gets to be the captain, thats about it.
Old January 29 2013, 06:09 AM   #6
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
Using "Mister" for a superior officer would go against tradition, too.
Untrue.

Naval tradition is not insulted in the least by enlisted men referring to superior officers up to the rank of LCDR as "Mister".
Old January 29 2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Starfleet does have a lot in common with the navy, but it is not purely a military force, but also humanitarian, exploratory, scientific and diplomatic entity as well, so a certain degree of familiarity would be expected.

Of course it would entirely depend on who was in command. There would be some CO's who would adhere to strict protocols and others who would be more relaxed in how they address their crew and allow themselves to be addressed.

And as The Mirrorball Man said, why does Starfleet have to conform to exact way of the US navy? You have the traditions and cultures of other planets to bring together when the Federation Starfleet was being created.
Old January 30 2013, 10:39 PM   #8
Garrovick
Commander

ICalling the Captain 'Jim' on the bridge is inappropriate. IMO.
Well, I do remember that Spock and Scott both called Kirk "Jim" a few times over the years but that was usually in at least semi-private (WNMHGB, Amok Time), or high-stress situations (Mirror, Mirror). There were probably other examples I'm forgetting at the moment, but the business of calling him "Jim" on the bridge is basically a McCoy thing... and we all know what a stickler for protocol he is. But Kirk never seemed to mind, so why should we?
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 06:41 PM   #9
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

This seems a better thread for GTD, folks. Moving to General Trek Discussion.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 06:52 PM   #10
Bigjoe
Lieutenant Commander

If I didn't know the crewman's name I'd call him by his rank. "Ensign", "Lieutenant" etc.

Calling someone "Mister" is just wrong.
Bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 07:18 PM   #11
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

You really must hate the band Mr. Mister.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Bigjoe
Lieutenant Commander

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
You really must hate the band Mr. Mister.
Old February 3 2013, 08:35 PM   #13
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
why does Starfleet have to conform to exact way of the US navy?
Because it's so much cooler that way.

And beside, the ways of the US Navy are hardly unique for a uniformed military service. Many services around the world (and perhaps on other worlds?) have customs and courtesies that are, if not identical, then similar.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 08:52 PM   #14
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.

Starfleet is a fictional organization from the fictional future. It's not the US Navy (or even a fictional version of the US Navy), so it's not "wrong" if they do things differently. That's like an American watching a show about the navy of another country and complaining that the differences are inaccuracies. They're not inaccuracies, they're differences.

For example, some countries pronounce Lieutenant "loo-tenant" and some pronounce it "leff-tenant." One isn't "right" and the other isn't "wrong", they're just different.

Because it's so much cooler that way.
Fair enough. I don't agree, but that's a valid opinion. But it doesn't mean the writers had it wrong, because they're not trying to create an accurate representation of the US Navy.

Even so, a lot changes in a few hundred years. Things once considered proper and necessary are now considered unnecessary or even improper. It's not unrealistic for future military/paramilitary organizations to do things differently than those in the present.

Calling someone "Mister" is just wrong.
Why?
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
TiberiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 09:12 PM   #15
Bigjoe
Lieutenant Commander

Well because its not their name and just sounds unprofessional IMO.

Just my opinion.