To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old February 3 2013, 12:13 PM   #16
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

Anji wrote: View Post
And cast my vote for Straczynski as new producer. B5 was amazing!
One word: Crusade.

Old February 3 2013, 02:02 PM   #17
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I don't think Straczynski is as good as he used to be, but even if he were, he is an iconoclast, one that Star Trek fans would learn to hate very quickly if he were the showrunner.
Old February 3 2013, 03:10 PM   #18
MacLeod
Admiral

I can think of one thing that would improve many shows,

"Network execs should for the most part let the writers/producers etc.. get on with making the show rather than interfere in the production of a show.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 03:39 PM   #19
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Anji wrote: View Post
And cast my vote for Straczynski as new producer. B5 was amazing!
One word: Crusade.

Crusade was sabotaged by TNT

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 03:45 PM   #20
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I don't think Straczynski is as good as he used to be, but even if he were, he is an iconoclast, one that Star Trek fans would learn to hate very quickly if he were the showrunner.
Moore isn't any better, what with his constant harping on "challinging assumptions" nonsense. That seems to be all the man is interested in, rather than, you know, actually writing stories based on whatever show he works on.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 03:50 PM   #21
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
I disagree, R. Star. I think Trek might wane for a while, but the IP is too valuable to stay dormant for too long.
This.

There are millions and millions of Star Trek fans out there. One day, somehow, one of them will be in the position to bring it back to TV.

Ronald D. Moore's work on DS9 was terrific so he'd be a good candidate, but the ending to BSG is some seriously dumb science-fiction so I'm skeptical of his suitability. If he were to continue the JJ-verse than we'd maybe learn that Spock was an angel ghost (????) the whole time and God was behind everything. I like the wormhole aliens/Prophets in DS9 but BSG's dumbed down Judeo-Christian monotheism isn't my cuppa tea.

I don't think Straczynski is as good as he used to be
Babylon 5 is one of the best television shows but the following TV movies, Crusade and his comic work leave a lot to be desired.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 05:40 PM   #22
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Please keep Ron Moore away from Star Trek, he's insanely overrated.
Old February 3 2013, 06:15 PM   #23
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

He fucked up with the BSG ending but he's got an outstanding body of work in DS9 and BSG overall. Obviously Generations is total shit but I put it down to him being Berman-ised.

I'm one of 5 people that like Caprica.
Old February 3 2013, 07:39 PM   #24
Dale Sams
Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
I disagree, R. Star. I think Trek might wane for a while, but the IP is too valuable to stay dormant for too long.
This.

There are millions and millions of Star Trek fans out there. One day, somehow, one of them will be in the position to bring it back to TV.

Ronald D. Moore's work on DS9 was terrific so he'd be a good candidate, but the ending to BSG is some seriously dumb science-fiction so I'm skeptical of his suitability. If he were to continue the JJ-verse than we'd maybe learn that Spock was an angel ghost (????) the whole time and God was behind everything. I like the wormhole aliens/Prophets in DS9 but BSG's dumbed down Judeo-Christian monotheism isn't my cuppa tea.

I don't think Straczynski is as good as he used to be
Babylon 5 is one of the best television shows but the following TV movies, Crusade and his comic work leave a lot to be desired.
1) God "isn't behind everything". You just learn that the Head People were telling the truth* from square one. That people looked for other reasons (chips in head...etc..) was their decision to make.

2) It's been awhile since I rationalized...errrr...explained Starbuck, and it doesn't come easily. I think I lost the powerpoint presentation.

*And even that is from their perspective. They don't seem infalliable and certainly seem to get off track sometimes.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 07:57 PM   #25
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Keep Straczynski away from Star Trek.

They will, of course.
Yeah, having read his idea for a TOS reboot I have to agree.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 08:07 PM   #26
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I can think of one thing that would improve many shows,

"Network execs should for the most part let the writers/producers etc.. get on with making the show rather than interfere in the production of a show.
That's simple to arrange, since the next Star Trek series will not be produced by or for a network. Expensive niche genres can survive only on cable or a streaming service like Netflix, which is my preference for where the next series will appear.

Netflix can fund premium series like HBO and Showtime do, but it doesn't have the need to maintain the snob appeal image, so doing a series associated with free TV wouldn't be a problem for them. In fact, it would most likely be a huge boost to their subscriptions.

I wouldn't mind seeing what RDM would do with Star Trek (JMS, nah) but to keep going with the acronyms, CBS is the one you need to consider. They need to greenlight any new series, regardless of where it appears, and since Bob Orci has already called dibs, and he has the most credibility since he's involved in Star Trek's current success, he's the one CBS would listen to.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 09:40 PM   #27
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

RandyS wrote: View Post
Moore isn't any better, what with his constant harping on "challinging assumptions" nonsense. That seems to be all the man is interested in, rather than, you know, actually writing stories based on whatever show he works on.
Yes, as I said, most Star Trek fans would hate him if he were the showrunner, but of course they would hate anyone who'd deviate from the norm too much.
Old February 3 2013, 10:18 PM   #28
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

An Orci and Kurtzman showran TV series?

Please don't even joke about such a matter.

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
1) God "isn't behind everything". You just learn that the Head People were telling the truth* from square one. That people looked for other reasons (chips in head...etc..) was their decision to make.
It's really embarrassingly clunky in execution. I watched the finale with 2 friends and everybody was cringing at how crass the One True God stuff was. Especially as monotheism is so fucking new. At least make ancient humans polytheistic pagans, it's so misjudged it borders on insanity.

And then we get spooky shots of modern technology with All Along The Watchtower playing. At which point everybody in the room was just laughing at how goofy it all was.

I love Caprica though. Aint bothered with Blood and Chrome as it looks like it's pandering to all those online fans posting "WHERE ARE ALL THE SPACE FIGHTS?" during Caprica's run.
Old February 3 2013, 10:47 PM   #29
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
Yes, as I said, most Star Trek fans would hate him if he were the showrunner, but of course they would hate anyone.
FTFY.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 10:58 PM   #30
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
FTFY.
Well, it's true so far. Fans seem to vocally dislike Gene Roddenberry, Rick Berman and JJ Abrams.

And people think Star Wars fans are too negative about their big cheese.