Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 31 2013, 07:58 PM   #91
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

"Good morning/afternoon/evening" is used here, too. Just not to the exclusion of "hello".
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 08:08 PM   #92
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

They also have this thing about the personal pronoun (?) where you have one that's supposedly more respectful of people you use it with and another one you're only supposed to use amongst friends and siblings, Sie/Du. -A relic, no doubt, from the ancient ages where being older than you automatically made people more important than you and therefore to be addressed accordingly...

We have the same thing here, and while the word used to address your 'betters' with almost disappeared from use in the latter half of the last century, I'm afraid it's having a comeback these days
Old January 31 2013, 08:38 PM   #93
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

yes, precisely. We have two different forms of addressing people:
du [doo] is reserved to very close acquaintances (usually after several years), friends and family. Sie [see] is for everyone else. It's just like the English you and thou.
Btw, the capital letter in Sie is no typo. It's a form of respect, like the capital L in the Lord's prayer. And it makes it easier to distinguish between Sie and sie (thou and she).

While a hello would be completely acceptable with people you address informally (i.e. with du), it is inappropriate with people you address formally (with Sie). For them you'd give the time of day: guten Morgen, guten Abend (good morning, good evening) or a general guten Tag (good day). In Bavaria we say grüß Gott, short for God bless you.

Basically, for a German to be greeted with "hello", would be like an American or Briton being greeted with "hi there!"
Old January 31 2013, 08:43 PM   #94
trekkiedane
Admiral

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Basically, for a German to be greeted with "hello", would be like an American or Briton being greeted with "hi there!"
But isn't "hiya" a perfectly acceptable greeting in British?
Old January 31 2013, 09:00 PM   #95
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

"Hi there!" is totally acceptable, especially in the south.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 09:01 PM   #96
Shanndee
Commodore

Thank you for clearing that up!

I was having an unpleasant flashback to the first retail job I had while on a working holiday in England over 20 years ago. In the space of 3 hours I had one guy (not British) whistle for my attention as I finished with my customer. I walked away with great purpose towards a different customer and let someone else respond...I am not a dog! (My supervisor laughed and told me I had a few things to learn about how things worked over here).

The second guy (also not British) made a hissing sound to get service. What?? My co-workers once again talked me down. They just told me that with so many different people from so many different places shopping in the store I had to respond to everything, and accept that whatever they did was probably normal where they were from.

I had a hard time adjusting to that. I also didn't stay in that job for very long!

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 09:48 AM   #97
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

I'm totally angry & sad today. I had a somewhat shabby Schefflera plant on a window sill in the corridor at my office that I was nursing through a massive lice infestation and the idiotic janitor threw it out on the compost. It had 24 hours frost on its naked roots before I discovered it! I've had this one for 35 years but it looks very much like it's completely dead now. The sheer impertinence of throwing something away without asking who it belongs to! (Plus keeping the expensive pot.) I could kill that idiot!
Just in case I replanted and watered it but the chances are astronomically small. I am tempted to plant the janitor instead. Into a very small pot
Old February 1 2013, 01:31 PM   #98
Ghost07
Vice Admiral

Did you say something to the janitor? What excuse did he give you?

Do not worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia...Charles Schulz

LJ
Ghost07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 04:42 AM   #99
Ghost07
Vice Admiral

Maintenance came today and put together my new computer desk; then dragged the old monster desk out for me.

When he transferred my computer to the new desk, he had to unplug all the wires in the back of the tower thing in order to put it on it's shelf...then plug everything back in again...

He plugged SOMEthing in wrong, because now I have no sound; and I have no idea which wire is in the wrong spot. Now what do I do?

Do not worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia...Charles Schulz

LJ
Ghost07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 04:46 AM   #100
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
du [doo] is reserved to very close acquaintances (usually after several years), friends and family.
And of course Rammstein fans.

Old February 2 2013, 04:54 AM   #101
trekkiedane
Admiral

Ghost07 wrote: View Post
He plugged SOMEthing in wrong, because now I have no sound; and I have no idea which wire is in the wrong spot. Now what do I do?
You trace the wire going from your speakers to your computer; it should be plugged into a hole marked with the colour green on your computer. If it isn't then move it and make your computer make some sound and see if it worked.
Old February 3 2013, 04:57 AM   #102
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Why do furniture drawers require 2 hands to open?!?! A significant percentage of the times you need to open them, it is to PUT SOMETHING IN. Which you will naturally be holding where? With your magical third hand? Between your knees? On your head?

Grrrr!!!! As you might imagine, I'm doing laundry, and I'm starting to think this injustice is why so often my folded things end up in piles around my room until I can't tell what's clean and what's dirty.
Old February 3 2013, 05:04 AM   #103
trekkiedane
Admiral

Sakrysta wrote: View Post
Why do furniture drawers require 2 hands to open?!?! A significant percentage of the times you need to open them, it is to PUT SOMETHING IN. Which you will naturally be holding where? With your magical third hand? Between your knees? On your head?
Remove the two handles - put one back, but in the middle of the drawer... Problem solved.

Alternatively you could add a third handle in the middle drawer.

Sorry! - I mistook this for a problem-solving thread... not one for just "arrrgh!!!!!!'-ing about life...
Old February 3 2013, 05:21 AM   #104
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

^LOL! I was just about to tell you to stop trying to solve it and let me rant in peace!

Seriously, my furniture is all old bordering on antique. Changing the handles would a) ruin the look, 2) be way more work than I am willing, much less able to put in, and c) ... well ... there was a "c)" when I started typing. Oh yeah, the drawers are too wide and heavy for a single central handle to work well.

The solution is new furniture! Yeah, that's going to happen...
Old February 3 2013, 05:51 AM   #105
trekkiedane
Admiral

Sakrysta wrote: View Post
^LOL! I was just about to tell you to stop trying to solve it and let me rant in peace!

Seriously, my furniture is all old bordering on antique. Changing the handles would a) ruin the look, 2) be way more work than I am willing, much less able to put in, and c) ... well ... there was a "c)" when I started typing. Oh yeah, the drawers are too wide and heavy for a single central handle to work well.

The solution is new furniture! Yeah, that's going to happen...
I'll still try to solve it

Attach a cloth'y thing in the middle of the drawer -on the inside, let a part of it hang loose on the outside. -just ½ half an inch of it should do