Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 2 2013, 11:15 PM   #61
Dale Sams
Captain

Re: 30 Rock: Final Season (Discussion, spoilers, etc.)

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Good riddance. Fey was nowhere near as clever as she thought she was, and her cleavage only got her so far.
Cleavage? Are you sure you're not thinking of someone else?
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 11:26 PM   #62
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

^ Quite. Pretty much all the episodes I've seen feature her in something low cut enough for boobage (such as it is) to be on display.
Old February 2 2013, 11:30 PM   #63
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Good riddance. Fey was nowhere near as clever as she thought she was, and her cleavage only got her so far.
Hey now, not every show can be as awesome and popular as LOST. Then again, J.J. Abrams is just too damned good to confine himself to television, you know?
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 11:43 PM   #64
FFunctionalData
Lieutenant Commander

cleavage?

what show were you watching?
FFunctionalData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 11:48 PM   #65
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

FFunctionalData wrote: View Post
cleavage?

what show were you watching?
I'm not sure. In fact, it was a bit of a running joke that Liz Lemon was boyish.
Old February 3 2013, 01:04 AM   #66
the G-man
Commodore

Actually BfoD is (partially) correct. While Liz was supposed to be boyish, Fey herself displayed a fair amount of (very fine IMO) cleavage in a number of episodes, often with Liz wearing a moderately low cut shirt under her blazer.

Basically, Liz/Fey was an example of that old TV trope where the "ugly" character is actually a knockout. Everyone talked about how plain she was but objectively she had a very pretty face and nice, curvy, body.

That being said, I think Fey's talents extended well beyond her looks.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 01:14 AM   #67
J. Allen
Best Pony™

the G-man wrote: View Post
Actually BfoD is (partially) correct. While Liz was supposed to be boyish, Fey herself displayed a fair amount of (very fine IMO) cleavage in a number of episodes, often with Liz wearing a moderately low cut shirt under her blazer.

Basically, Liz/Fey was an example of that old TV trope where the "ugly" character is actually a knockout. Everyone talked about how plain she was but objectively she had a very pretty face and nice, curvy, body.

That being said, I think Fey's talents extended well beyond her looks.
I'll give him partial credit that she does, indeed, have cleavage. The rest of his analysis is lacking, though. I mean, I understand that they can't all be Star Trek: The Animated Series, but it's still a good show.
Old February 3 2013, 01:36 AM   #68
boobatuba
Rear Admiral

Totally disagree. Tina Fey is a fine actress, and I find that remark incredibly sexist.
Old February 3 2013, 01:55 AM   #69
J.T.B.
Commodore

Hard for me to judge how clever she thought she was, her usual mode being self-deprecation. But she got seven years of critical acclaim, awards and network support for a show with fairly marginal ratings (plus writing a number-one selling book along the way), so I'd say she's pretty goddamn clever.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 02:00 AM   #70
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Tina Fey is a national treasure.

Cute, smart, and talented.

Didn't she score really high when she was the BOTW?
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 02:28 AM   #71
the G-man
Commodore

boobatuba wrote: View Post
Totally disagree. Tina Fey is a fine actress, and I find that remark incredibly sexist.
I disagree with his assessment of her talent but I don't think it's necessarily sexist. There are a lot of people, male and female, in show biz who try to get by on their physical attributes. If BfoD thinks she is one of them, so be it.
Old February 3 2013, 02:38 AM   #72
boobatuba
Rear Admiral

I disagree with his assessment of her talent but I don't think it's necessarily sexist. There are a lot of people, male and female, in show biz who try to get by on their physical attributes. If BfoD thinks she is one of them, so be it.
Where's his evidence? As noted, she's received multiple awards and countless accolades for her work. It doesn't seem like she needs to rely on her physical attributes at all.

That's why I find such a comment sexist.
Old February 3 2013, 02:41 AM   #73
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Boobs and cleavage aren't the first things that come to mind when thinking about Tina Fey or Liz Lemon. So I find the idea that her success is based on her looks to be odd.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 02:50 AM   #74
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Boobs and cleavage aren't the first things that come to mind when thinking about Tina Fey or Liz Lemon. So I find the idea that her success is based on her looks to be odd.
What else would a woman be valued for?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 04:46 AM   #75
the G-man
Commodore

boobatuba wrote: View Post
Where's his evidence? As noted, she's received multiple awards and countless accolades for her work. It doesn't seem like she needs to rely on her physical attributes at all.

That's why I find such a comment sexist.
I think I've made it clear I'm a fan of hers and I disagree with BfoD's view. She's a good writer and a good actress. At the same time, you can find many Glamour shots she's done over the years and a lot of her early Saturday Night Live hype was in the vein of "hot chick does comedy." Therefore while I find her enjoyable both for her looks and her talent, if somebody doesn't appreciate her talent I can see how they would think she got where she was on her looks. I don't see it as any more sexist then if somebody didn't like George Clooney and thought he got where he was based on his jaw line.