Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 29 2013, 08:08 AM   #106
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Re: Young Justice, Green Lantern return January 5th

Any news of a replacement, then? These animated shows seem to be hitting their point of limited returns earlier and earlier these days. However, there's always something new from WB/Marvel/Lucas/Hasbro to replace a canceled show!

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 08:25 AM   #107
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ Teen Titans Go and Beware the Batman
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 11:15 PM   #108
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Any news of a replacement, then? These animated shows seem to be hitting their point of limited returns earlier and earlier these days. However, there's always something new from WB/Marvel/Lucas/Hasbro to replace a canceled show!

Mark
I don't know why Lucas is in there Clone Wars is going to season 6, it's just changing networks.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 05:44 AM   #109
Technobuilder
Commodore

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
^ Teen Titans Go and Beware the Batman
Both of these shows just don't seem like they're made to fill the storytelling hole that cancelling Young Justice & Green Lantern is going to create.

Based upon description, they're taking all the good elements from Teen Titans and removing them to focus on just the "down-time" angle while for Batman, making it more "cartoon-y" as well.

I'm getting to a point where I just can't be bothered to care about some of the stuff that's supposed to be aimed at fans of genre in the first place...

Weisman is S.O.L. when it comes to his vision getting a chance to thrive.

Best news I could hear now would be a revival of Gargoyles via Marvel/Disney to directly compete with this DC Nation replacement tripe.

*Bitter*
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 04:10 PM   #110
Christopher
Writer

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
while for Batman, making it more "cartoon-y" as well.
What's your basis for that? I mean, one can't get any more "cartoony" than Batman: The Brave and the Bold already was. Beware the Batman definitely seems to be going in a darker, more serious direction.

Weisman is S.O.L. when it comes to his vision getting a chance to thrive.
I'm wondering how long DC will continue to publish the Young Justice tie-in comic which is canonical in the show's universe. If the comic goes on for a while, it might let Weisman wrap up the storylines he wanted to tell, as he briefly got to do in the Gargoyles comics.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 04:11 PM   #111
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

They already announced the cancellation of the comic awhile ago.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 09:53 PM   #112
Christopher
Writer

^Regrettable, but unsurprising.

Old February 2 2013, 08:54 PM   #113
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Damn Razer, you callous bastard.
Old February 2 2013, 10:21 PM   #114
Christopher
Writer

I'd say just the opposite -- he's trying to convince himself he doesn't love her because he's too afraid of being hurt by losing the one he loves a second time.

It's an interesting twist, wiping out the Anti-Monitor so soon and having Aya become the big bad. I wonder how long this status quo will last.

Over on YJ, they certainly found an interesting way of reinterpreting the lame Apache Chief character from Superfriends. It works a lot better this way. Apparently all of the "runaways" other than Static were based on the "ethnic hero" characters created for Superfriends. Eduardo (the kid whose voice sounded almost exactly like Jaime's, although the credits say it's a different actor) was based on El Dorado, who had superstrength and magical/psi powers including teleportation, and Asami was based on Samurai, who had wind powers (and was male).

Which isn't the first time a DC show has done pastiches of lame Superfriends characters. Justice League Unlimited had the Ultimen, who were based on Samurai, Apache Chief, Black Vulcan, and the Wonder Twins. And of course we've already met YJ versions of Marvin and Wendy. (And the same actor, Gregg Rainwater, has played both the Ultiman and YJ pastiches of Apache Chief, who were named Long Shadow and Tye Longshadow, respectively.)

Oh, and for the record, "Sumimasen" is basically a polite request for attention, like "Excuse me" or "Pardon me," though it can also mean "I'm sorry" or "Thank you." (And I can't believe I didn't recognize that Asami was played by Janice Kawaye, who was Jenny on My Life as a Teenage Robot.)

Old February 2 2013, 10:35 PM   #115
JD
Admiral

I really wish the description for GL on TV hadn't been a masive spoiler for the ending:
An emotionless Aya fuses with the Anti-Monitor, creating a dangerous villain.
It was still a pretty shocking turn of events though. As for the episode itself, I really enjoyed it.
YJ also had a pretty surprising twist at the end. I really enjoyed getting to see more of the new heroes created by the Reach, and I really hope this isn't the last we see of them. I wonder if they would have been the next "freshman" (in a recent interview Weisman referred to the different groups on the team as "seniors", "juniors" and "freshman") team members in season 3.
Old February 2 2013, 11:44 PM   #116
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'd say just the opposite -- he's trying to convince himself he doesn't love her because he's too afraid of being hurt by losing the one he loves a second time.
I guess I thought he could've chosen a better way to communicate his feelings to Aya. "I never loved you, I see now you're nothing but a machine."

Over on YJ, they certainly found an interesting way of reinterpreting the lame Apache Chief character from Superfriends. It works a lot better this way.
I agree with you there and I can't believe it didn't hit me the connection to Samurai.
Old February 2 2013, 11:47 PM   #117
JD
Admiral

Yeah. The whole universe is in danger now because Razer didn't know how to talk to a girl.
Old February 3 2013, 12:20 AM   #118
Christopher
Writer

JD wrote: View Post
Yeah. The whole universe is in danger now because Razer didn't know how to talk to a girl.
Well, in his defense, the universe wasn't really any less in danger before. We've just swapped out one relentless, emotionless AI villain for another. The difference being, of course, that Our Heroes will eventually be able to get through to Aya and reawaken her good side, which wouldn't have been possible with the Anti-Monitor.

(My problem with this version of the universe is that there's an Anti-Monitor but no Monitor, which seems imbalanced. I guess they're justifying the name through the connection to antimatter, though.)

Old February 3 2013, 06:17 PM   #119
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

(My problem with this version of the universe is that there's an Anti-Monitor but no Monitor, which seems imbalanced. I guess they're justifying the name through the connection to antimatter, though.)
I'm with you. In my head I just went: well, there's a Monitor. We just haven't seen him/her/it.
Old February 3 2013, 06:34 PM   #120
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

I'm with you. In my head I just went: well, there's a Monitor. We just haven't seen him/her/it.
Maybe he's with the rest of the Monitor off-screen endlessly debating over whether to do something or not
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote