New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 2 2013, 06:37 PM   #91
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

I would guess there was a bit of hunting and destroying after the initial slaughter. I doubt Obi-Wan and Yoda were the only survivors of the it.
Old February 2 2013, 07:13 PM   #92
Albertese
Commodore

In fairness to epIII I should point out that Yoda and Obi-Wan monkeyed with the radio at the Temple to warn all the surviving Jedi not to come back there. So, there are evidently a bunch of them out there who dodged the clones well enough to require some hunting down on Vader's part...

--Alex
Old February 2 2013, 07:40 PM   #93
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

RandyS wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Albertese wrote: View Post
released in the grim-dark of the 1970's
The grim-dark of the 1970s? I take it you weren't there.
Yeah. particularly when you take TODAY into account.

The 70's were practically Pollyanna compared to now...
Indeed.

Haha! My parents conceived me in the Summer of '79, baby!

But, I was actually making a hyberbolic reference to an earlier comment about how gritty and dark movies of the post-Vietnam era tended to be, which supposedly Star Wars broke the mold of. A sentiment I don't totally agree with...

Actually from what I can tell the '70s seemed like a pretty rocking good time. Sometimes I wish I was 10 or 15 years older so I could have experienced the decade first hand!
Heh. You're wise not to agree-- the 70s were about as far from grim and dark as we've ever been. Being fifteen years older would have been about perfect. I spent my teenage years in the 70s and it was wonderful.
Old February 2 2013, 08:32 PM   #94
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
released in the grim-dark of the 1970's
The grim-dark of the 1970s? I take it you weren't there.

Haha! My parents conceived me in the Summer of '79, baby!

But, I was actually making a hyberbolic reference to an earlier comment about how gritty and dark movies of the post-Vietnam era tended to be, which supposedly Star Wars broke the mold of. A sentiment I don't totally agree with...

Actually from what I can tell the '70s seemed like a pretty rocking good time. Sometimes I wish I was 10 or 15 years older so I could have experienced the decade first hand!

--Alex
Take it from somebody whose parents conceived him in the summer 0f '69 (I take it you were born in April of 1980? If so, we're exactly ten years apart in age.), you missed some fun. Hell, I remember being seven years old and seeing the first run of Star Wars in a Drive-in!

For our younger posters, consult a history website for THAT reference.

But, in fairness, the 1980's were an interesting time to be a teenager.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 08:36 PM   #95
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Being young is fantastic so any modern times are great to be a teenager.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 10:50 PM   #96
JD
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
If you follow the EU then there were dozens (hundreds?) of Jedi who survived the initial implementation of Order 66, and Vader spent most of the time between the two trilogies hunting down the last of them. I'm not sure but I swear I remember reading somewhere that by the time of ANH he was closing in on the last few Jedi.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 12:18 AM   #97
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ No doubt. But screen time should mean something, and the fact that we got a montage of several Jedi being killed pretty much instantly, with only Yoda surviving, suggests - or should, at any rate - that most, if not necessarily all, of the Order met similarly immediate deaths.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 02:21 AM   #98
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Yeah, This:
JD wrote: View Post
If you follow the EU then there were dozens (hundreds?) of Jedi who survived the initial implementation of Order 66, and Vader spent most of the time between the two trilogies hunting down the last of them. I'm not sure but I swear I remember reading somewhere that by the time of ANH he was closing in on the last few Jedi.
And this:
Gaith wrote: View Post
^ No doubt. But screen time should mean something, and the fact that we got a montage of several Jedi being killed pretty much instantly, with only Yoda surviving, suggests - or should, at any rate - that most, if not necessarily all, of the Order met similarly immediate deaths.
Don't seem mutually exclusive or contradictory to me.
Old February 3 2013, 02:25 AM   #99
The Wormhole
Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Ultimately the main reason for the failure of the Jedi is that they simply were caught off guard and did not realize that even their own troops would become enemies. It has also been suggested that the clones did not have malice, per se, that might have been sensed by the Jedi; they were just following orders.
Ki-Adi-Mundi (not sure if I got the name right, the coneheaded Jedi master) noticed something was up with his clone troopers, and was still unable to put up much of a fight against them.
Old February 3 2013, 02:38 AM   #100
Gaith
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Don't seem mutually exclusive or contradictory to me.
Aye, but the point is that the survival of a handful of Jedi here and there doesn't discredit the Reason to Hate.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 04:24 AM   #101
Forbin
Admiral

Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 05:03 AM   #102
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

^ That's hilarious! Suns Times!

(It's Mos Eisley and Tosche Station, though. )
Old February 3 2013, 10:41 AM   #103
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ I wonder if they have a comics section.

RandyS wrote: View Post
Take it from somebody whose parents conceived him in the summer 0f '69 (I take it you were born in April of 1980? If so, we're exactly ten years apart in age.), you missed some fun. Hell, I remember being seven years old and seeing the first run of Star Wars in a Drive-in!
The last time I saw a movie at a Drive-In was in the early 80s, somewhere around Hartford. They do still exist, but they are rare.

But, in fairness, the 1980's were an interesting time to be a teenager.
I will grant you that the early 80s were probably an interesting time to be a teenager. It was certainly an interesting time to be a young adult out on his own for the first. time.

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Being young is fantastic so any modern times are great to be a teenager.
Yeah, I would hope that anybody would make the most of their teenage years no matter what era they are born into.
Old February 3 2013, 03:17 PM   #104
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Forbin wrote: View Post

I wonder if investigators thought this was a house of death when they discovered unmarked graves of Anakin's mother (by the time of ANH), and her husband?
Old February 3 2013, 03:23 PM   #105
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Ki-Adi-Mundi (not sure if I got the name right, the coneheaded Jedi master) noticed something was up with his clone troopers, and was still unable to put up much of a fight against them.
On that note, how conveinent it was for George Lucas to have Jedi fall so easily in the Order 66 scenes, yet Obi-Wan and Yoda slaughter an entire company of clones outside the Jedi temple without a scratch. Similarly, in Return of the Jedi, Luke slaughtered an boatload of Jabba's armed killers, and barely recieves some artificial skin shot off of his hand.