Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 22 2013, 03:57 AM   #61
lennier1
Commodore

Re: Jurassic Park 4 Coming June 14, 20...2014!!!

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mind a reboot closer to the book.
Spielberg's movie is a prime example of good entertainment, but the novel is much darker and has so much more to offer (better events prior to the main story, more believable characters, Malcolm's injury, Nedry's introduction and demise, realistic kids, Raptors turning the tables on Sattler and the others during the blackout).
The only problem is that it needs much more time than a standard movie to tell its story (e.g., the audio book is almost 14 hours long).
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 04:20 AM   #62
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

lennier1 wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mind a reboot closer to the book.
Spielberg's movie is a prime example of good entertainment, but the novel is much darker and has so much more to offer (better events prior to the main story, more believable characters, Malcolm's injury, Nedry's introduction and demise, realistic kids, Raptors turning the tables on Sattler and the others during the blackout).
The only problem is that it needs much more time than a standard movie to tell its story (e.g., the audio book is almost 14 hours long).
That's pretty common, however, when adapting a books into movies. Stuff will get changed and cut out, not everything will be Jackson-ian note-for-note near page-for-page adaptation. There's quite a bit in a book that'll be cut out. (And well, books are going to take longer to read aloud than movies to view since books have to describe things with words as opposed to visuals.)

A much darker tone would be nice though, hell there's things the park had in the book that weren't alluded to in the movie (like tracking/monitoring devices around the park for ensuring the population controls.) Wong, the guy who actually developed the cloning process, had a much bigger part. A lot of good stuff in the book.

Again, the first movie is fantastic and aside from a touch bit much in the Spierlbergian family shmaltz it's a great, great movie. The scene on the road at night in the T-Rex Paddock remains one of these best action pieces of all time for me. The special effects in that movie are still very top-notch and has better early CGI in it than what's done today!

I think the third movie gets too much gruff but it does have its flaws (as pointed out by Shameful Sequels above.) The second one I go either way on, I really didn't like the San Diego stuff.

JP4... I just don't know. But I am going to be sure to see Jurassic Park in 3D when it comes to theaters this spring.
Old January 22 2013, 05:32 AM   #63
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I think there will be a reboot but not yet. 15+ years ago I remember something about JP rights and Universal has the rights to up to 6 movies until 2026 or something insane like that.

Now of course I could very well be wrong, or it could change. But I'm sure sometime in most of our lifetimes there will be a reboot... or a TV show.
Old February 2 2013, 08:37 PM   #64
wamdue
Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
lurok wrote: View Post
I just want dinosaurs with frikkin' lasers.
The first JP4 had dinosaurs with fingers, so guns / lasers might have been in it...

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/hum...4-concept-art/
reading some of the comments, made me wonder.

What if there was a Jurassic Park, in the Planet of the Apes verse?

What would the Apes do, if they found Jurassic Park?
Old February 2 2013, 10:13 PM   #65
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

wamdue wrote: View Post
reading some of the comments, made me wonder.

What if there was a Jurassic Park, in the Planet of the Apes verse?

What would the Apes do, if they found Jurassic Park?
Go apeshit, obviously.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2013, 11:40 PM   #66
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Well, huh. I wasn't paying super-close attention to this here discussion, but I did read in both IGN and the AV Club of Safety Not Guaranteed director Colin Trevorrow's selection as JP4 helmer a few weeks back, and it seems he's only ever been mentioned in one TrekBBS thread, and not this year, at that. So, for the record, in case a virus wipes out all the internet except for us, that was a thing that was announced. Anyhoo...

... Jurassic Park 3D
's stereoscopy scores a so-so 25/35 over at Cinema Blend. Compare this to 23/35 for Titanic, 27/35 for Avengers, and 14/35 for GI Blah 2 among recent post-convert jobs. Unfortunately, it doesn't specifically say how good the crowning "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth" shot works, or even really mention the Rex stuff at all.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote