Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 2 2013, 02:52 PM   #31
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Why does Batman leave his mouth exposed?

Zero-Hour took Joe Chill out of the Equation.

Joe was detoxing off heroin when he was supposed to be blowing away the Waynes.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 03:04 PM   #32
Christopher
Writer

In this day and age, I wonder if the whole idea of the Waynes going to a movie theater at all might be anachronistic. If they're so rich, wouldn't they have a fancy home-theater system in Wayne Manor? For that matter, why were they attending a theater in such a bad part of town in the first place, and why were they walking instead of being chauffeured?

Although I think the idea in the Bronze Age, when "Crime Alley" was introduced, was that Park Row was only starting to go into decline when the Waynes were murdered, that that was the harbinger of its deterioration into the cesspool it became.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 03:27 PM   #33
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Which is why Leslie built a clinic exactly there?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 03:50 PM   #34
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
In this day and age, I wonder if the whole idea of the Waynes going to a movie theater at all might be anachronistic. If they're so rich, wouldn't they have a fancy home-theater system in Wayne Manor? For that matter, why were they attending a theater in such a bad part of town in the first place, and why were they walking instead of being chauffeured?

Although I think the idea in the Bronze Age, when "Crime Alley" was introduced, was that Park Row was only starting to go into decline when the Waynes were murdered, that that was the harbinger of its deterioration into the cesspool it became.
In the modern re-telling, they are murdered when they step outside to see if the broadband cable has come out and that is why Netflix's has stopped.

Mark Waid recently did an update of Captain America's origins where the first President he meets is Obama which is sorta nice and the Punisher is now a Gulf war veteran.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 04:08 PM   #35
dru
Fleet Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I mean what's worse?

"My Parents died taking me to see Finding Nemo."
or "My parents died taking me to see Zorro"

From an 8 year olds perspective that's a world of difference.
Doesn't matter. He doesn't live in our world so who knows when Batman's Hollywood has released yet another Zorro film. Even in our real world, Zorro has seen many releases on the big screen (there's even a reboot in the works) and thus, it was a timeless choice. "Finding Nemo?" That's a very specific film from a very specific studio with a very specific release strategy. Doesn't work.

At the time of Detective Comics #27's release, Zorro was about to have his fourth feature and third actor in the role in the US. But Zorro hasn't had just a US film history. There have been some Mexican and many European productions as well. Perhaps the Waynes went to a quaint theater that shows foreign films and it happened to be a Zorro picture?
Old February 2 2013, 04:12 PM   #36
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Many years ago, my comic shop guy insisted that Batman had a Lazarus Pit.

But that was before Knightfall.
That would be silly and sort of ruin the "Everyman" appeal of Bruce Wayne, along the lines of how I feel about the Extremis with Tony Stark. It turned him from simply a brilliant "every man" to someone with a degree of "super"-human ability.
"Brilliant everyman" is kind of an oxymoron, don't you think?
Old February 2 2013, 04:17 PM   #37
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Even before you get into the powers aspect - difficult to describe a capitalist weapons manufacturer who has benefited from significant inherited wealth and is part of the military–industrial complex as an 'everyman'.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 05:33 PM   #38
Christopher
Writer

dru wrote: View Post
At the time of Detective Comics #27's release, Zorro was about to have his fourth feature and third actor in the role in the US. But Zorro hasn't had just a US film history. There have been some Mexican and many European productions as well. Perhaps the Waynes went to a quaint theater that shows foreign films and it happened to be a Zorro picture?
Again -- the movie wasn't identified as The Mark of Zorro until 1986, in The Dark Knight Returns. Before that it was just an unspecified movie. And Detective Comics #27 didn't say anything about Batman's origin -- the story wasn't told until #33 (and then reprinted in Batman #1):

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...dcmoment42.jpg

Note that it says the Waynes were walking home from a movie some 15 years before, which would've been 1924. It wouldn't even have been a talkie.

Old February 2 2013, 06:43 PM   #39
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Yeah. As much as I love Zorro, and as little as I care for Batman Begins, I gotta say Nolan made the right call by sending 'em to an opera.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 06:47 PM   #40
Christopher
Writer

^Right, because opera's a much more modern art form than movies.

But seriously, yeah, it makes sense that it would be some kind of live performance they could only see in a theater. And BB's version, where Bruce is in the alley because he ran out of the performance, makes more sense than having this rich family just walking along the streets in a dangerous part of town.

Old February 2 2013, 08:48 PM   #41
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
As much as I love Zorro, and as little as I care for Batman Begins, I gotta say Nolan made the right call by sending 'em to an opera.
Didn't he send them to Fledermaus? Huge mistake. It's a light operetta, hardly something that would cause a bat to be seen as a frightening symbol of terror... or something.
Old February 2 2013, 08:58 PM   #42
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ No.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 09:36 PM   #43
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Well in Nolan's Batman Begins the Waynes are killed leaving the Opera which makes a bit more sense for their lifestyle and such.

Even before you get into the powers aspect - difficult to describe a capitalist weapons manufacturer who has benefited from significant inherited wealth and is part of the military–industrial complex as an 'everyman'.
"Everyman" in the sense he has no superpowers, "the X-Gene" or any other super-human ability common in comic books. Tony Stark's only "powers" should be smarts and money.

Last edited by Trekker4747; February 3 2013 at 03:00 AM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 09:51 PM   #44
FFunctionalData
Lieutenant Commander

Sketcher wrote: View Post
It seems like a pretty obvious tactical error. It'd be easy for a criminal to inflict serious damage on the area. He could get his jaw/teeth broken by a fist, baseball bat, crowbar, etc. Not to mention it gives clues to his identity - skin color, shape of mouth, dental records (if anyone can get that close to him).
really the reason is because he has always been drawn that way. If batman was real I am sure he would have a helmet of some kind.
FFunctionalData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 09:54 PM   #45
Prince of Space
Lieutenant

Getting back to the original question, how many Golden Age heroes had full masks? The only ones I can think of (without research) is the Atom, Doctor Fate and Sandman, and the latter two also sported half-masks at various times. (Hawkman almost qualifies, but his chin wasn't covered.) Batman's mask is the rule rather than the exception.
Prince of Space is offline   Reply With Quote