RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,112
Posts: 5,432,844
Members: 24,932
Currently online: 687
Newest member: Cani

TrekToday headlines

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 29 2013, 09:15 PM   #46
USS KG5
Vice Admiral
 
USS KG5's Avatar
 
Location: England's green and pleasant land.
Re: Problem with the episode "Justice"

Captrek wrote: View Post
Thank you very much for that mental image.



ETA: Ugh. I think that emoticon just made it worse.
Sorry - was only kidding if that helps...
__________________
I believe in a better world, so I love Star Trek. I have to live in this one, so I love Battlestar Galactica.
USS KG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 09:39 PM   #47
Theodore Jay Miller
Commodore
 
Location: Howard Beach, NY, USA
Re: Problem with the episode "Justice"

Use of Time wrote: View Post
To be fair, Picard did question Tashat about reviewing laws and customs and she said "they listed nothing of punishment." That implies she was through with her research but maybe needed to ask the question in person once she arrived at Edo.
I picture Tasha getting a list of rules: no murder, no rape, no trampling newly-planted flowers, etc., and passing it on to everyone going on shore leave. There were no punishments listed (because everything's punished the same way), but Tasha incorrectly took for granted that the punishments would be proportional: murder, rape, etc. would be punished severely, while trampling flowers would be punished lightly.
Theodore Jay Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 05:42 PM   #48
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander
 
heavy lids's Avatar
 
Location: Denver
Re: Problem with the episode "Justice"

This is the REAL problem with "Justice":

"Sure we can run. Right, Commander!?!?!"
__________________
"Divine intervention is...unlikely" - The Doctor
heavy lids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 01:13 AM   #49
Trek or Treat!
Rear Admiral
 
Trek or Treat!'s Avatar
 
Location: going batty
Re: Problem with the episode "Justice"

That sounds like a line from a Saturday morning animated TNG.
__________________
Captrek
Trek or Treat! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 01:55 AM   #50
WalkerBait
Trekker4747
 
WalkerBait's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Problem with the episode "Justice"

heavy lids wrote: View Post
This is the REAL problem with "Justice":

"Sure we can run. Right, Commander!?!?!"
"We sure can!" (off they go in not a run but a brisk jog.)
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
WalkerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 10:36 AM   #51
USS KG5
Vice Admiral
 
USS KG5's Avatar
 
Location: England's green and pleasant land.
Re: Problem with the episode "Justice"

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
heavy lids wrote: View Post
This is the REAL problem with "Justice":

"Sure we can run. Right, Commander!?!?!"
"We sure can!" (off they go in not a run but a brisk jog.)
The funniest thing is that as a teenager Wesley was not trying to get his leg over the whole time, mind you he was showing off.
__________________
I believe in a better world, so I love Star Trek. I have to live in this one, so I love Battlestar Galactica.
USS KG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 05:38 PM   #52
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: Problem with the episode "Justice"

Theodore Jay Miller wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
To be fair, Picard did question Tashat about reviewing laws and customs and she said "they listed nothing of punishment." That implies she was through with her research but maybe needed to ask the question in person once she arrived at Edo.
I picture Tasha getting a list of rules: no murder, no rape, no trampling newly-planted flowers, etc., and passing it on to everyone going on shore leave. There were no punishments listed (because everything's punished the same way), but Tasha incorrectly took for granted that the punishments would be proportional: murder, rape, etc. would be punished severely, while trampling flowers would be punished lightly.

it still just doesn't work as an explanation. If you're investigating the laws of a society, punishment is a major part of that, and if she's researching it, and coming up with no results, she should be getting more suspicious, not jumping to conclusions based on nothing.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.