RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,658
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 413
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 1 2013, 07:51 PM   #46
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: ELEMENTARY - News, Reviews, and Discussion

stj wrote: View Post
Would the police really want to pursue charges against Holmes?

They never like to pursue charges against official members who resort to torture and other forms of violence against perpetrators. Sadly it is highly unlikely they would want to make a case against an unofficial member. The unlikelihood of a conviction really makes it very improbable, were such a thing to somehow occur in reality.
Well, as Bell himself said last night, it would be easier for the NYPD to deal with Holmes if they paid him -- because then they could fire him.

He's not an official member of the police. He's an unofficial consultant.

And the real problem with charging Holmes with a crime is that Holmes would reflect badly on Gregson. He's let Holmes in on a number of investigations -- including the Moran affair -- and he would have to answer for why his unofficial consultant kidnapped, attempted to torture, and assaulted the subject the suspect.

For Gregson's own self-preservation, he needs to maintain the fiction that Moran got the drop on Holmes and Holmes attacked him in self-defense. That doesn't mean that he has to like it. And he clearly doesn't. But there's nothing he can really do.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 09:50 PM   #47
Christopher
Writer

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
We saw that Moran said that he got the jump on Holmes and the wound he received in the gut was inflicted by Holmes in self-defense.
Oh, right, I forgot that part.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 01:45 AM   #48
stj
Rear Admiral

He's let Holmes in on a number of investigations -- including the Moran affair -- and he would have to answer for why his unofficial consultant kidnapped, attempted to torture, and assaulted the subject the suspect.

For Gregson's own self-preservation, he needs to maintain the fiction that Moran got the drop on Holmes and Holmes attacked him in self-defense. That doesn't mean that he has to like it. And he clearly doesn't. But there's nothing he can really do.
To a first approximation, senior police figures never face consequences in the rare instances a lower level policeman being tried and convicted on charges. So literal self-preservation isn't realistically the problem. But it's true that his career might be on the line.

Aidan Quinn's Gregson might not be genuinely realistic. But he seems like a real person if you don't look too closely. More importantly he's pleasant company in my living room and essential to these insane but entertaining mysteries.
Old February 2 2013, 12:58 PM   #49
Saul
Rear Admiral

The series is getting better but still not really grabbing me.

Liked the Huddy episode

stj wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
It better not be Watson.
True. But, I wonder if Doherty has read the late, great Michael Dibdin's The Last Sherlock Holmes Story?

(Yes, I know I'm evil.)
A similar story was done in
'

Don't see why they couldn't do it again.
Old February 14 2013, 09:41 PM   #50
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I've become particularly interested in the true identity of Holms' father. He's always been portrayed as nothing more than some affluent faceless entity on the other side of a phone or text message. The fact that Holms tried to have someone fake his dad to Lucy Liu's character only added to the intrigue.

I'm even starting to believe in the possibility that
Old February 14 2013, 10:10 PM   #51
Christopher
Writer

^I've heard that theory before, but I think I prefer the idea that "M. Holmes" will turn out to be Mycroft, reinterpreted as father rather than big brother. The other possibility just seems a little too soap-opera-ish.

Old February 14 2013, 10:57 PM   #52
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0715953/

Why waste Roger Rees as a "friend" never to be seen again when Sherlock doesn't have friends?

1. Moriarty.
2. Mycroft
3. Daddy pretending he's not daddy.

Besides.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the fact that Sherlock is his own father.

It's his house, his money, he hired Joan, and he fired Joan.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 11:06 PM   #53
sojourner
Admiral

Did I miss an episode? when did Joan get fired? Last communication I saw with Holme's father, she was extending her stay.
Old February 14 2013, 11:14 PM   #54
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

SEconds later, the text back was "no thank you. Final check is in the mail". Then she started lying to Holmes. Meanwhile Joan's therapist is telling her that she's crazy to try and survive in New York without a current revenue stream.

It's really a question of why she wants to stay.

Is she a mystery junkie?

Is she concerned about Holmes?

Is she in love with him?

Old February 15 2013, 12:39 AM   #55
Christopher
Writer

It's really a question of why she wants to stay.

Is she a mystery junkie?

Is she concerned about Holmes?

Is she in love with him?
Clearly it's the first two. The show has laid it on quite thickly that she's drawn to the investigations, that she enjoys them more than her sober companion work. Holmes sees that in her, and Sherlock Holmes is not a man whose deductions about other people's motives should be dismissed. And she's clearly concerned with his well-being after what happened with Moran. Conversely, there's been absolutely no hint of any romantic interest between Holmes and Watson.

Old February 15 2013, 01:06 AM   #56
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Her face doesn't move.

I want to say inscrutable, but that's borderline racist.

Bad surgery or some sort of nerve damage?

We could just be not acutely observant enough to identify Lucy's emotions trying to surface through her plastic android shell?

(No, I don't think she's in love with him.)

Old February 15 2013, 02:02 AM   #57
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Right now, I'm leaning towards the fact that Sherlock is his own father.

It's his house, his money, he hired Joan, and he fired Joan.
I think the most recent episode with Holmes' drug dealer makes the "Holmes' father doesn't exist and is actually Holmes himself" theory, which I myself held for a long time, not possible -- Holmes called his father and got the 2.2 million that Rhys needed to pay off the Dominican cartel. If Holmes had the money himself, he wouldn't have needed to make that phone call.

allyngibson.net
Old February 15 2013, 02:10 AM   #58
sojourner
Admiral

I think the most recent episode with Holmes' drug dealer makes the "Holmes' father doesn't exist and is actually Holmes himself" theory, which I myself held for a long time, not possible -- Holmes called his father and got the 2.2 million that Rhys needed to pay off the Dominican cartel. If Holmes had the money himself, he wouldn't have needed to make that phone call.
The call was just for show? A possibility.

If you're going to have a cover story you have to make it look good.
Old February 15 2013, 03:14 AM   #59
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
The call was just for show? A possibility.

If you're going to have a cover story you have to make it look good.
I considered that possibility, but it doesn't fit the way the scene is staged. There's no need for a cover story if Holmes is going to go and sit on a park bench down a quiet street far from home away from Watson's prying eyes to place his call.

I also considered that "my father" was a code word that Holmes uses to access his resources. I can't dismiss this one as easily.

allyngibson.net
Old February 15 2013, 03:36 AM   #60
Christopher
Writer

Allyn's right. Holmes was alone when he made the call. There was no one to put on a show for.