TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 2 2013, 12:55 AM   #31
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Re: Dallas - Season 2

wissaboo wrote: View Post
I was thinking how great it would be if they included a montage of great JR scenes in his funeral episode, but I doubt they have the rights to them
Again, not necessarily. Warner Bros. is still producing the show, so if they still own the rights to the original series, they could easily do a montage as you suggest. One of the considerations however would be aspect ratio - the old show was shot entirely 4:3, and I feel like the revival is shot in HD 16:9. Not impossible to get around, but certainly something to consider.

Side notes, I saw Bobby and Sue Ellen on a talk show and said the send off for JR was handled beautifully. Did you guys know it was Linda Gray's legs on The Graduate poster?
I did! So cool.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 01:24 AM   #32
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ General Hospital has been doing a lot of flashbacks recently. They look really stretched out and therefore really bad.

Better they should have the black bars on the sides.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 02:50 AM   #33
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Looks like the Six Million Dollar Man is coming to DALLAS!

I wonder what this means about Ian McShane? Will we ever hear about or (gasp) see Don Lockwood again?
Old February 5 2013, 12:39 AM   #34
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Also: Heads up to anyone interested: Linda Gray and Patrick Duffy are on the cover of last week's TV Guide:

Article here.

And... And showrunner Cynthia Cidre answers some questions. (WARNING: SPOILERS BEHIND THIS LINK!
Old February 5 2013, 03:56 AM   #35
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

It can only get very interesting when Bobby asks J.R. for his particular brand of "help".

Also, Annie get yer gun...and shoot that worm.
Old February 5 2013, 04:58 AM   #36
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

I know that we all will miss Larry Hagman on Dallas, but I really do think that the new cast will be able to carry the show, which will result in very high ratings for TNT. I hope so anyway.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 06:06 AM   #37
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Well now, Annie just turned into a real, real interesting character.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 07:07 PM   #38
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Also, Annie get yer gun...and shoot that worm.
Did you cheer? I cheered!

Non-sequitor: Every time I see Pamela Rebecca she reminds of both Denise Richards and Tricia Helfer, like if it were possible for those two actresses to have a love child together, it would grow up to be Julie Gonzalo.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2013, 09:35 PM   #39
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ I kinda saw it coming in that scene. Especially after Bobby asked for J.R.'s help.

Anne was a little too calm.
Old February 5 2013, 11:26 PM   #40
billcosby
Commodore

Wow, I didn't see it coming.
I just realized that J.R. could be
a) murdered
b) it could take until the end of the current series to resolve it

Just a possibility in the sea of ideas to keep the show about JR even if he's not actually in it.
I would also go for some prolonged exploration of John Ross and Pamela. Each of them have heaps of crazy... both products of two bitter lifelong rivals. Could anyone see them getting married, producing a son and then of course getting down and dirty with drawn out divorces?

All of this has happened before... waitaminute!!

Anyway... does anyone else think we are going to get another "Who Shot JR?"

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 01:12 AM   #41
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
Wow, I didn't see it coming.
I just realized that J.R. could be
a) murdered
b) it could take until the end of the current series to resolve it
Well, really who cares how long it takes as long as it's riveting? i think the writers have got a shot at making this memorable.

Just a possibility in the sea of ideas to keep the show about JR even if he's not actually in it.
I would also go for some prolonged exploration of John Ross and Pamela. Each of them have heaps of crazy... both products of two bitter lifelong rivals. Could anyone see them getting married, producing a son and then of course getting down and dirty with drawn out divorces?
Well, on the divorce angle, screwing Christopher over's good practice for Pamela.

All of this has happened before... waitaminute!!

Anyway... does anyone else think we are going to get another "Who Shot JR?"
If the writers are smart. If they can't have JR himself they need to carry his name to the rest of the season...

Old February 6 2013, 05:14 AM   #42
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

J.R.'s funeral is already planned for episode 2x08, which airs on March 11th; the cause of his death will apparently be a mystery played out over the remainder of the season along with the other continuing plotlines.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 04:00 PM   #43
Agent Richard07
Retired

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Also: Heads up to anyone interested: Linda Gray and Patrick Duffy are on the cover of last week's TV Guide:

Article here.
A touching and informative article. Thanks for posting it. I didn't stop to think that they'd milk J.R.'s death. It's a great way to keep his spirit alive and ease into a Dallas without him.

Keith1701 wrote: View Post
I know that we all will miss Larry Hagman on Dallas, but I really do think that the new cast will be able to carry the show, which will result in very high ratings for TNT. I hope so anyway.
As do I.

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
Well now, Annie just turned into a real, real interesting character.
It looked like Ryland was dead, but with Mitch Pileggi's name in the opening credits, I figured that he couldn't be.

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Every time I see Pamela Rebecca she reminds of both Denise Richards and Tricia Helfer, like if it were possible for those two actresses to have a love child together, it would grow up to be Julie Gonzalo.
I always think of Tricia Helfer too when I look at her. And in one scene, I thought she looked a bit like Jenna from the old show.

And another thing... Judith Light's character doesn't look old enough to be Harris Ryland's mother. I looked her up and Light is only three years older that Pileggi.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2013, 06:28 PM   #44
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Every time I see Pamela Rebecca she reminds of both Denise Richards and Tricia Helfer, like if it were possible for those two actresses to have a love child together, it would grow up to be Julie Gonzalo.
I always think of Tricia Helfer too when I look at her.
For me it's Tricia's mouth and Denise's eyes.

And in one scene, I thought she looked a bit like Jenna from the old show.
That's the eyebrows...

And another thing... Judith Light's character doesn't look old enough to be Harris Ryland's mother. I looked her up and Light is only three years older that Pileggi.
I'm thinking she's had work done since he was born...

Most likely they couldn't find anyone old enough that fit the part, or simply were pressed to cast someone quickly, so they just decided to "old up" a veteran soap actress.

Old February 6 2013, 06:47 PM   #45
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I just had an interesting thought...

What if Ann is the same call girl Brenda Strong played on the old show?

Think about it.

Cliff hooked up with said call girl in the final season of the show (1990-1991) when he had, ostensibly, been dumped by Liz Adams.

It's unlikely Bobby would have met the Brenda Strong character then, but also very likely that Cliff would have forgotten all about her. Never mind the fact that Harris Ryland is just sleazy enough to have probably hooked up with her at the time too.

How fucked up would it be if Emma is really Cliff's daughter, and Ann played Harris into marrying her? Or, perhaps she really is Harris' daughter.

It would also explain why Judith despises Ann so much, and Emma's age works out almost perfectly for it as well.

I don't know that this isn't too farfetched an idea, but it's fun to think about!