New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 31 2013, 09:56 PM   #46
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: House of Cards (Netflix)

Well, they need to get to work on a space opera.
Old January 31 2013, 10:02 PM   #47
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

They need Star Trek! Seriously, even if I didn't like Star Trek, that would be my #1 piece of advice for Netflix. They've already got all the series on streaming, probably all the movies, so they must know exactly how big their fanbase is, and who to advertise to.

On another site where they were also talking about Netflix development, a bunch of people were squalling for Firefly (of course ). I felt like reminding them that with a big hit movie and another on the way, Star Trek is a far bigger brand name with the kind of drawing power Netflix needs, plus CBS has a good working relationship with Netflix and I'm not so sure about FOX, but also being a Browncoat, I figured I shouldn't start anything. It's just a cold-blooded business decision.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 10:05 PM   #48
RoJoHen
Awesome

I'd rather have a Farscape sequel than Firefly at this point, but yeah, Star Trek wouldn't be bad. Even a Star Trek miniseries would be kind of cool (and something the franchise has never done). The Trek universe is so huge that I think several 4-5 episode miniseries would be a cool way to have lots of different adventures without being tied down to anything.
Old February 1 2013, 07:06 AM   #49
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

There has been rumors for years of a Firefly series of movies on Netflix, like making 1-2 every summer.
Old February 1 2013, 07:17 AM   #50
lurok
Commodore

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
See, that's exclusionary. In order to make the most money, you need to have a broad spectrum advertising plan.
Not in the wonderful new digital world, it's all about narrowcasting and precise targetting now. The old mass market/Neilsens model is doomed. DOOMED!
True. Broadcasting will only really be relevant now for mass events like Superbowl or Olympics. Or Downton Abbey
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 08:35 AM   #51
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Can't speak for the US but here in the UK broadcast is as popular as ever. The same amount of people watch broadcast TV and last year the average amount of time actually increased. 80% goes to the networks and their digital spin offs, the rest to cable and digital. Then of course online catch up via iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD etc. are owned and operated by the networks themselves. But services like Netflix are add ons to TV rather than replacements, for the most part.

But I guess our TV environments are quite different. I get 150 channels and a DVR without subscription.
Old February 1 2013, 08:53 AM   #52
tighr
Commodore

lurok wrote: View Post
True. Broadcasting will only really be relevant now for mass events like Superbowl or Olympics. Or Downton Abbey
The same Olympics that for the last two times were streamed live in their entirety on NBC Sports website?

Or Super Bowl XLVI, which was also streamed live to NBC Sports website, NFL.com, and the Verizon Mobile NFL app?

I don't know enough about Downton Abbey to know if ITV posts those episodes immediately or if there is some sort of delay. I'm assuming by your post that all episodes of that show are available online.
Old February 1 2013, 06:25 PM   #53
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I haven't tried - can you watch pro sprots live, online for no additional charge with no need to prove you have a cable subscription and no ads? I googled around and found something called NFL Game Rewind but it looks like a subscription.

I'm sure sports like everything else will be sold online if it isn't already. But sports fans have proven to cable co's that they are willing to pay up the wazoo for live sports, which keeps the price high so Netflix won't be able to afford to add live sports and keep their cheap prices.

Chart of wholesale cable costs. Notice how out of whack sports channels are compared woth everything else. The sports biz isn't going to undercut their ability to command those prices by giving away their golden goose for free.

As TV enters its death spiral, live events will be the last thing it holds onto, since ads can still be effective for something that loses value when its DVRed.
Old February 1 2013, 06:35 PM   #54
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Now I remembered why I came back to this thread! How Netflix will judge HoC's success.

This is a clever marketing move for the streaming service, which costs $7.99 a month in the U.S. Netflix says this morning that for the month of February it will enable non-subscribers to see the first episode of its first original series, House Of Cards, at this web address. Members can see all 13 episodes of the political drama that stars Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright and Kate Mara beginning today. Investors and analysts will be looking to see how the production affects Netflix’s subscriptions.

Execs talked down the likely benefit from House Of Cards. “Some of us are optimistic that it may in fact be substantial, but we really don’t know and we don’t want to count on it until it happens,” CEO Reed Hastings said. Wells added that marketing efforts will be focused on “influencers in big markets.”
Imagine using the same approach for a new Star Trek series.
Old February 1 2013, 07:12 PM   #55
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Well the fact they are making original content has been the decider on whether I keep Netflix or LoveFilm.

I've watched the first 4 episodes and I wouldn't say so far that it was fantastic but I like it enough to keep watching.
Old February 1 2013, 07:52 PM   #56
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It could be that they're just looking at the impact pf new subscriptions to judge HoC because they aren't giving it a fair trial in seeing how it helps retain subscriptions.

I looked for the show on my Mac, my iPad and Roku. If I depended on just those for my new show recommendations, I would not know it existed! Okay maybe my Mac browser is so futzed up that it's blocking the popup ad for the show, but that could not be true for iPad and certainly not Roku, which doesn't allow for the same degree of customization /screwing things up.

On Roku (my main way of accessing Netflix), the show was not in my Top Ten or Popular on Netflix. It should have been there or better yet, advertised in its own special "ribbon" for new original content, so it was the first thing I saw. I literally had to type "h-o-u-s-e" into search to find the damn thing. Madness! I seriously wonder if there is some technical reason Netflix wants subscribers to not watch this show during the free trial period. Why would a company not advertise a new product to their captive audience of existing customers, who can be reached with ridiculous ease?
Old February 1 2013, 08:28 PM   #57
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

It had it's own special ad and page on Netflix site for me and a special space for a trailer my Xbox a few weeks ago.
Old February 2 2013, 01:07 AM   #58
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

It does seem odd that Netflix isn't consistently displaying the banner ad for the show to all users on the website. That's a definite fail. I can't recall if a trailer space like Bob mentioned was visible in the Netflix app on my Xbox at any time in the past, but I haven't seen any special notice about the show today when I've looked.

Speaking of failure... I'm not seeing any way on the show's landing page on the website to add it to my Instant Queue, which is just plain bizarre. I had to search for the show in the Xbox app to do that. That's a rather unintuitive way to add a show to my queue, and I can't think of any licensed shows or movies that I've had to add through such a workaround.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 01:11 AM   #59
RoJoHen
Awesome

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
It does seem odd that Netflix isn't consistently displaying the banner ad for the show to all users on the website. That's a definite fail. I can't recall if a trailer space like Bob mentioned was visible in the Netflix app on my Xbox at any time in the past, but I haven't seen any special notice about the show today when I've looked.
Netflix on my PS3 had a banner ad for "House of Cards" about 3 weeks ago, but it only showed up once. Pretty poor advertising strategy if you ask me.
Old February 2 2013, 01:50 AM   #60
tighr
Commodore

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Netflix on my PS3 had a banner ad for "House of Cards" about 3 weeks ago, but it only showed up once. Pretty poor advertising strategy if you ask me.
I got an email today telling me episodes were available. Pretty effective advertising strategy if you ask me.