Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old February 2 2013, 12:26 AM   #46
Avon
Fleet Captain

Re: David Foster reveals his plans for a new Star Trek series?

i'd take elaborate revenge fantasies over a group of bland people standing in grey rooms technobabbling to each other.

and since when has trek been 'intellectually nourishing'? were ent's showerscenes 'nourishing' enough? or voyager's skintight-catsuited ladyborg? ds9's holo-loungesinging? tng's rapegasm?

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 11:57 AM   #47
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Elaborate revenge fantasy or current day terrorism alegory? TOS had Klingons standing in for the Soviets. Into Darkness has a homegrown terrorist attacking the Federation. I'm sure the terrorists of recent times and their leaders thought they were getting righteous revenge for something or other.
Old February 3 2013, 04:59 PM   #48
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

JJ's Trek is a return to the more light-weight, frothier side of TOS (And especially the TOS films!) as opposed to stuff like The Cage which informed the mantra of TNG+ Trek. As such I find it kinda alienating and simplistic but it's still informed by previous Trek. Just not my favourite kind.

Star Trek 2009 isn't really far removed from Search for Spock at all. Although its villain is much shitter. Nero is the pits and Bana's performance was Razzie-worthy. I expect Harrison to be several classes above.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 03:10 AM   #49
billcosby
Commodore

junxon wrote: View Post
and since when has trek been 'intellectually nourishing'? were ent's showerscenes 'nourishing' enough? or voyager's skintight-catsuited ladyborg? ds9's holo-loungesinging? tng's rapegasm?
TNG (the series with which I am most fond of and familiar) presented dozens of excellent and intricate moral challenges throughout it's run. Did Data fire on Kivas Fajo or not in The Most Toys? What about the attack on religion as portrayed in Who Watches the Watchers? When Dr. Marr destroys the crystilline entity in Silicon Avatar, is Picard right to try and stop her? Then there are the what-constitutes-sentience as explored in both The Measure of a Man and The Offspring. Nearly every episode comes loaded with some form of philosophical material for reflection.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 03:23 AM   #50
Avon
Fleet Captain

fine, but by that reasoning, old trek had lots of bad 'romance' episodes. therefore new trek should be a romcom. because if it doesn't, it doesn't fit the spirit of trek.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 03:05 AM   #51
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
JJ's Trek is a return to the more light-weight, frothier side of TOS (And especially the TOS films!) as opposed to stuff like The Cage which informed the mantra of TNG+ Trek. As such I find it kinda alienating and simplistic but it's still informed by previous Trek. Just not my favourite kind.

Star Trek 2009 isn't really far removed from Search for Spock at all. Although its villain is much shitter. Nero is the pits and Bana's performance was Razzie-worthy. I expect Harrison to be several classes above.
HOly cow, do we reach! Amen to both paragraphs. I'm hoping that Trex XII has more to it. And Bana had like 12 lines and people were raving. i still don't get it. Old Salieri was better in Insurrection!
Old February 17 2013, 03:44 AM   #52
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

billcosby wrote: View Post
TNG (the series with which I am most fond of and familiar) presented dozens of excellent and intricate moral challenges throughout it's run. Did Data fire on Kivas Fajo or not in The Most Toys? What about the attack on religion as portrayed in Who Watches the Watchers? When Dr. Marr destroys the crystilline entity in Silicon Avatar, is Picard right to try and stop her? Then there are the what-constitutes-sentience as explored in both The Measure of a Man and The Offspring. Nearly every episode comes loaded with some form of philosophical material for reflection.
There's not a question about Data firing at Fajo - we saw him do it, and then lie about it.

Most of these examples aren't at all intricate or challenging - they were pretty simplistic put-up jobs. No one watching the show really sympathizes with the argument that Data or his daughter aren't sentient beings who should have rights, for example - or, at least, so few viewers do that it's of no importance (I mean, I'm sure there are a few folks watching things like Psycho who identify with Norman Bates, too).
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 08:43 AM   #53
yousirname
Commander

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Most of these examples aren't at all intricate or challenging - they were pretty simplistic put-up jobs. No one watching the show really sympathizes with the argument that Data or his daughter aren't sentient beings who should have rights, for example - or, at least, so few viewers do that it's of no importance (I mean, I'm sure there are a few folks watching things like Psycho who identify with Norman Bates, too).
I mostly agree. Broadcast TV can't really get too into metaphysical debate. It's more that the issues are presented in a way that their broad outline is conveyed, so the viewer is able to take them and chew them over for themselves if so inclined. But none of the movies really even did much of that, so ST09 as a movie doesn't particularly break with tradition.

I can imagine certain kinds of hardcore dualists having an issue with Data's personhood, though.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 03:10 PM   #54
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

My only issue with Data's personhood was that it opened the door for some atrocious Voyager episodes.
Old February 17 2013, 08:15 PM   #55
plynch
Commodore

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
billcosby wrote: View Post
There's not a question about Data firing at Fajo - we saw him do it, and then lie about it.

Yeah, but at least they're broaching the idea of what constitutes personhood. An idea/issue to mull. Certainly many eps provide grist for the bbs mill to mull. See any of several Tuvix threads.

This is why I like (cover your ears, many of you) Insurrection, of the movies.
Old February 17 2013, 08:37 PM   #56
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

plynch wrote: View Post

Old February 17 2013, 09:00 PM   #57
plynch
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post

I know, I know. And TMP. But TWOK too.

Long after JJTrek, thanks in part to post-ers here, I saw there was the theme of forging your own life, both in Spock and Kirk. But scifi often has a what-if issue/idea to ponder. Didn't really get that on '09. (What was the original topic, again? )
Old February 17 2013, 10:44 PM   #58
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
While an animated series is still the most likely, I keep hoping for Netflix to do an original series in conjunction with CBS. Netflix is making a bigger push into original content lately (and their stock price is zooming, so they aren't hard up for funds.)

Star Trek is a good overlap with their early-adopter tech enthusiast streaming customer base (most likely a better fit than HBO or Showtime) and the famous brand name will give them positive PR for their overall original content development efforts.

As licensing rights have gotten pricier and harder to land, and the streaming business has grown more competitive, Netflix has focused on adding exclusive programming to entice viewers.
For House of Cards (debuting soon):

The show is no low-budget Web series, but an HBO-style production for which Netflix reportedly paid in the neighborhood of $100 million for two seasons.
Couldn't they do a Star Trek series for $100M, for two cable-length seasons (26 episodes total)?
Streaming shows and webisodes are the future, ratings for "proper" network and basic cable channels are lower than ever, falling every year. We may see a time shortly where such niche shows are the desired paradigm, tailored to a particular group of viewer's taste, and less concerned with ratings.

RAMA
Old February 18 2013, 12:38 AM   #59
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Didn't really get that on '09
But we did get "body like a boy" Uhura stripping down to her granny underwear.

Seriously, there wasn't a Victoria's Secret anywhere near the studio?

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 12:57 AM   #60
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Sorry, but if Saldana looks anything like a boy to someone then they either need a new prescription or a reassessment of their biases.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote