Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 1 2013, 08:39 PM   #136
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
1.) In a revolving door, so you (the man) are pushing it.

2.) On an escalator or stairs, so she won't worry if you're looking up her skirt.

3.) When entering a taxi, so she won't have to slide over or hike up her skirt doing so.
I knew #2, but I thought the other two were; if there's a war on -and- if they're both Muslim.

Old February 1 2013, 08:41 PM   #137
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

This story seems to have mutated, because the pastor is, in fact, a woman. She also apologized, and I have not seen any reports that she demanded the termination of multiple employees.
Old February 1 2013, 08:46 PM   #138
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

These stories do tend to mutate as a news agency without any kind of agenda reports the facts rather than the gossip.
Old February 1 2013, 08:50 PM   #139
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

I often get a pick up and fill it with crap then take out and leave all the crap in a field somewhere.
Old February 1 2013, 08:54 PM   #140
ITL
Vice Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
I often get a pick up and fill it with crap then take out and leave all the crap in a field somewhere.
*gasp*

You rotten swine!
Old February 1 2013, 08:55 PM   #141
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

ITL wrote: View Post
*gasp*

You rotten swine!
Shh!
Old February 1 2013, 09:09 PM   #142
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I knew it was him. All the crap had brown sauce on it. And stottie crumbs
Old February 1 2013, 09:13 PM   #143
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

The confession thread is thataway. *points*
Old February 1 2013, 09:30 PM   #144
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Deckerd wrote: View Post
I knew it was him. All the crap had brown sauce on it. And stottie crumbs
I'm not the only person who likes brown sauce and stotties. Prove it.
Old February 1 2013, 09:36 PM   #145
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

And, for those who might be curious or simply don't know, the three times it's acceptable for a man to go or walk ahead of a woman (per gentlemanly etiquette) are:

1.) In a revolving door, so you (the man) are pushing it.

2.) On an escalator or stairs, so she won't worry if you're looking up her skirt.

3.) When entering a taxi, so she won't have to slide over or hike up her skirt doing so.
Do I dare provoke a Miscellaneous Double Whammy by discussing the treatment of women in a tipping thread? Hmmm, I think I'll go for it. And if things work out, I'll toss in discussing circumcision and declawing cats to really tempt fate.

Anyway, that's pretty outdated and kind of insulting (I know that's not your intention, 005, so don't take it as a criticism of you, just the rules themselves).

1) It's polite to hold a door open for anyone, male or female, as long as you're not one of those jamokes who holds it open for people that are still forty feet away from the door, thus forcing them to do that awkward half run/half walk to get to the door faster lest they feel judged for taking their sweet time to reach the door they never asked you to prematurely hold for them in the first place.

But revolving doors don't have the same rules. Your only concern with a revolving door is making sure you don't get in a comical impasse with someone coming in the wrong way. Revolving doors don't weigh four tons and require a lot of strength to open like Victorian times, and the idea that women need a man to get the momentum started on the door because they're too dainty to push it themselves is equally outdated.

It's better to just let people go through in whatever order they reach the door, and let them set the pace for pushing it so you don't rush anyone through or slow them down. If you walk up to the door at the same time, sure, go through first. It doesn't really matter or call attention to anything. But if you rush past a woman to make sure you lead her through the door it will look like you're implying that she would have difficulty pushing it herself, and that's just insulting rather than "gentlemanly" or polite.

2) Maybe it's just my tall man's perspective, but it seems to me that you'd have to be standing pretty far behind a woman on an escalator or stairs in order to be able to see up her skirt (not counting those pervs who take the upskirt photos with their cellphones held near the ground) anyway. Unless she was in the WNBA star in a miniskirt and you were a Hobbit, it would seem that we would have to require pretty large gaps between people on the stairs or escalator for this to even potentially become an issue, in which case you should just not be a letch and don't stare. Waiting until a woman has reached the top of the escalator or stairs before the next man starts up seems awkward and calling attention to someone again.

If you're a woman's friend or companion and you're protecting her from the thought of you staring up her skirt, or she thinks you're the type of person who would do that yet is still hanging around with you regardless, you two have bigger trust issues to deal with.

3) What kind of douche is the first person to enter a cab but doesn't scoot down to the end of the seat and makes everyone else maneuver around them (or walks around to the rear door on the driver's side if traffic is light and it's not locked)? That's just rude all around, regardless of sex. If you're headed to different locations you should have the person who's leaving first sit closest to the door(s), obviously, male or female, but they should also be the last to enter the taxi.

ETA - Of course, as I was in the middle of my post I had to go take care of something, so when I came back and submitted it there have been a bunch of posts in between where people feel differently than me. So, what do I know? Everyone reacts differently.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 09:39 PM   #146
lurok
Commodore

I give Trek 10%.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 09:41 PM   #147
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
ITL, Bob and me know he's completely on-topic.
Old February 1 2013, 09:51 PM   #148
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
ETA - Of course, as I was in the middle of my post I had to go take care of something, so when I came back and submitted it there have been a bunch of posts in between where people feel differently than me. So, what do I know? Everyone reacts differently.
No, you have good points. I'm pretty damn weak and I don't need anyone to push a revolving door for me, but I have known people who awkwardly jump in the same compartment with me (behind me) so I like people to go first in general. I don't worry too much about the skirt on stairs/elevator thing. I think the last time that was a concern was when I was in high school and we had to wear our tennis skirts all day on game days. Tennis skirts are just ridiculously short. The skirts I wear aren't so short that anyone would be looking up them I hope.

I do really hate scooting across a seat when I'm in a dress or skirt though.

Edited to add that when RM resurrected this thread, I was going to threaten to resurrect his Treatment of Women thread. But I thought of you and didn't want to send you into a panic attack or something, even with a joke!
Old February 1 2013, 10:00 PM   #149
ITL
Vice Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post
ITL, Bob and me know he's completely on-topic.
He's pretty fly, that guy.
Old February 1 2013, 10:01 PM   #150
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

the 4th hanson bro wrote: View Post
Yeah, that story was awful. Not only did this pastor get their congregation to stir up shit for that Applebee's, but the waitress in question was fired. Fucking ridiculous.
Yeah, my response to a message like that would be, "Because I have bills to pay and God doesn't, you sanctimonious shitbag." I mean, if I'm gonna get fired anyway...
The correct answer should have been "What does God need 10% for?"
"The God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister!"
- Bono
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote