Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 29 2013, 08:51 PM   #196
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: Officially no series 8 in 2013

Power of Three is really good until the ludicrous deus ex machina ending.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 08:53 PM   #197
Konata Izumi
Commander

I don't really see how it's any more ludicrous than anything else in Who to reverse the heart attack program.

Ah there's the finding the entrance randomly too. I guess there's something surreal about it so I don't mind.

No recollection of how they got rid of the aliens though.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 08:58 PM   #198
The Wormhole
Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
I understand the reasons why they feel the need to mix things up a bit. To try and keep things feeling fresh. But to be honest, if your priority is to save money because the BBC can't give you as much as they used to, then the last thing you should be doing is green-lighting new Cyberman costumes or new TARDIS sets. It's an incompetent management of resources that could be better used elsewhere, IMO.
The TARDIS set had to be rebuilt anyway, so why not do a new design? And the Cybus Industries Cybermen look are the longest running for the Cybermen period. In classic Who they had a new look nearly every story. There's nothing wrong with a new look seven years after the previous one was introduced.

Besides, Moffat already failed in two previous attempts to redesign the Cybermen. There was no money to do it in The Pandorica Opens and only enough money to remove the Cybus logo in A Good Man Goes to War.
Old January 29 2013, 09:38 PM   #199
Starkers
Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
but they do seem to have embraced money saving where they can (filming mutilple epiosdes when they went to Spain/Croatia).
No, that's not embracing money saving. Moving your production to another country is the complete opposite of money saving. Embracing money saving would have been NOT going to Spain/Croatia to film some episodes.

Moffat needs to realize that Doctor Who doesn't have the budget of Game of Thrones. He needs to run the show like the low budget series it is. Babylon 5, the Stargates, and Farscape managed to do epic well with extremely limited budgets. Doctor Who can do it to.
Well they could just go back to filming every episode in a quarry...
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 09:46 PM   #200
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

How is Moffat going to Spain different from RTD having one episode in Italy and another in Dubai? Moffat might have gone to too many places(Utah,New York, Spain)

Were RTD's trips like a family holiday?

"Ok, we've saved enough cash this year to go abroad"

Compared to Moffat

"Spend it while you have it! Deal with the consequences later!"
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 09:51 PM   #201
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
How is Moffat going to Spain different from RTD having one episode in Italy and another in Dubai? Moffat might have gone to too many places(Utah,New York, Spain)

Were RTD's trips like a family holiday?

"Ok, we've saved enough cash this year to go abroad"

Compared to Moffat

"Spend it while you have it! Deal with the consequences later!"
Utah and New York were co-paid by BBCA. If they hadn't gone, they wouldn't have had the extra money from going

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 10:02 PM   #202
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
How is Moffat going to Spain different from RTD having one episode in Italy and another in Dubai?
Because Spain is alright and Dubai is a human rights hell-hole that RTD should be held morally accountable for supporting?

Let's just say that it's a good job they didn't film any Captain Jack scenes over there...
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 11:58 PM   #203
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Woah, let's not go crazy here. There's being responsible with your money and then there's just being a Scrooge.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 03:52 AM   #204
DWF
Vice Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
but they do seem to have embraced money saving where they can (filming mutilple epiosdes when they went to Spain/Croatia).
No, that's not embracing money saving. Moving your production to another country is the complete opposite of money saving. Embracing money saving would have been NOT going to Spain/Croatia to film some episodes.

Moffat needs to realize that Doctor Who doesn't have the budget of Game of Thrones. He needs to run the show like the low budget series it is. Babylon 5, the Stargates, and Farscape managed to do epic well with extremely limited budgets. Doctor Who can do it to.
I could live with that actually.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 03:55 AM   #205
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Alidar, if that's the case, they should just be upfront about it. None of this, "you'll get more than ever before" hyperbole! I think that is what frustrates people. The contradictory "information" and hyperbole. Just tell us the truth.

Sure, some people won't like it, but they're already not liking it the way it is!

Mr Awe
That depends on when they knew the money wouldn't be there. Certainly, he should be honest now if it's a budget constraint issue. There's no reason not to be candid.
Sure there is. That's calling being insubordinate and burning one's bosses.
I guess it depends on who "they" are in this context. I was thinking BBC as a whole.
Old January 30 2013, 02:06 PM   #206
Konata Izumi
Commander

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
[The Power of Three] feels like the Doctor's come to a visit even though he doesn't really do that much anymore.
So it's perfectly on-topic to post this The Power of Three reading:

The optimism's less random and more justified than I first gathered. The Doctor seems to think of himself as one of the 'creatures of hope'. So in the allegory he'd be one of the scientist guys who fix the internet when bad guys take it down. Or put a fatal virus. A bit scarier that one. Before I just thought they're randomly saying it's cool at the end like disregard all danger.

I guess even the chance discovery of the portal is kind of sensible too as The Doctor's not the only kind scientist in the world, so someone's bound to find one of them. It's an optimistic take on the immense connectivity and possibility within internet with a bit of sensible paranoia too.

Great how Brian's basically a mostly harmless and quite helpful version of the Shakri mindset. The kid's a troll hacker. No idea what she was in the plot. The Doctor could explode the ship because it was shit.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 09:37 AM   #207
Lonemagpie
Writer

TBH I think we'll see 8-part seasons in future for a simple reason - it seems to be the BBC's current paradigm for their top dramas.

Death In Paradise, Call The Midwife, Ripper Street, etc... all eight-episode runs.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 11:00 AM   #208
Starkers
Admiral

Good point. I guess as well that BBC series length has always varied somewhat, in fact aside from Who Torchwood and Merlin (and I guess Robin Hood may have been the same but I never watched it) it’s hard to think of another show I remember having a 13 episode stint since Blakes 7 (though I’m sure there must have been plenty) and it may just be that we need to get used to a truncated series length, I mean there’s nothing that even says a BBC drama always needs to have a set number of episodes per season, Spooks, as I recall, varied greatly from as low as 6 to a high of about ten episodes, and even though the examples you’ve given all have 8 ep runs, Silent Witness still gets 10. Plus of course Torchwood varied greatly too (13,13,5,10)

I suppose the only thing to point out is that Call the Midwife et al tend to be 60 rather than 45 minute shows, so 8 episodes of Who means less screen time than 8 episodes of Call the Midwife say.

I could live with 8 episodes a year plus the Christmas special, you’d have to hope that might filter out the crappier episodes but it might sound the final death knell for 2 parters (we might still get one). Part of me thinks the BBC should at least come clean about this, but I’m not sure they do likewise with other shows so it might not even occur to the higer ups that this is any kind of issue?
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 01:23 PM   #209
StCoop
Commodore

After the news that they're co-producing AAIT&S, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Series 8 is announced as a full-on BBC/BBC America co-production (rather than them chucking some money in every now and then as they do currently). That looks like being the only way of keeping up full-length (as we currently understand the term) series.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 03:18 PM   #210
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I could live with 8 episodes a year plus the Christmas special, you’d have to hope that might filter out the crappier episodes but it might sound the final death knell for 2 parters (we might still get one). Part of me thinks the BBC should at least come clean about this, but I’m not sure they do likewise with other shows so it might not even occur to the higer ups that this is any kind of issue?
That might work fine for the UK, but it could stunt the momentum it has going here in the States. Not saying that should influence the BBC's decision, just pointing it out. People here are already complaining about the lack of episodes.

The BBC should be transparent about their plans, whatever they are. The confusion between what is said versus what is done is angering fans and even damaging the brand in terms of marketing, merchandising, and broadcasting. It's hard to plan all of those things when the broadcast schedule is erratic!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote