Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 31 2013, 11:24 PM   #31
Wingsley
Commodore

Re: Starfleet Command Insignia

This absolutely does not explain the rectangular badge worn by the crew of the U.S.S. Exeter ("The Omega Glory", 1968) as seen on both Capt. Tracey and the ship's C.M.O.
Old January 31 2013, 11:27 PM   #32
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Wingsley wrote: View Post
This absolutely does not explain the rectangular badge worn by the crew of the U.S.S. Exeter ("The Omega Glory", 1968) as seen on both Capt. Tracey and the ship's C.M.O.
So, it's referring to Decker's pretzel?

Maybe there are some more memos?
Old January 31 2013, 11:59 PM   #33
Harvey
Admiral

I haven't been able to find any further memorandum on this issue.

I'm not sure what dailies Justman was watching (I found the memo in a box and folder devoted to wardrobe items, not a particular episode).

The information I have indicates that "The Omega Glory" was filmed on December 18-26, 1967. I was under the impression that it took 24 hours to turn around dailies, but perhaps a date is slightly wrong somewhere, and that's the episode Justman was watching dailies from.

Justman couldn't have been watching dailies from "The Doomsday Machine," though. That was filmed on June 20-26, and broadcast on October 20, 1967, months before Justman's insignia memo.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 12:05 AM   #34
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Well, that's strange then, and hard to square with Decker's unique pretzel insignia, a much more recent thing than the Antares insignia.
Old February 1 2013, 02:10 AM   #35
Wingsley
Commodore

Silly question: did anyone ever confirm what insignia (if any) were worn by the Defiant's crew in "The Tholian Web"?

Last edited by Wingsley; February 1 2013 at 02:10 AM. Reason: typo
Wingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 02:14 AM   #36
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Silly question: did anyone ever confirm what insignia (if any) were worn by the Defiant's crew in "The Tholian Web"?
You mean on screen?

Going by the fact that Bjo Trimble's Star Trek Concordance shows a completely different badge from that shown in ENT: In a Mirror, Darkly, Part II, and one evidently of fan origin, by Robert Wood, I'd have to say that I really, really doubt it.
Old February 1 2013, 02:29 AM   #37
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

There are a few shots of the dead crew where the insignia is clearly the delta/arrowhead.

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x...nwebhd0270.jpg
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 02:45 AM   #38
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
There are a few shots of the dead crew where the insignia is clearly the delta/arrowhead.

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x...nwebhd0270.jpg
I won't go so far as to say that it's "clear" in that shot, because I have to squint to see it, even on this HD image. And I'd bet that was impossible to make out on first run broadcasts.

But I agree that it is the arrowhead on the redshirt there. Thanks for that.

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x...nwebhd0228.jpg is much clearer.
Old February 1 2013, 11:37 AM   #39
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post

Under penalty of death!

Signed this 18th day of December, in the year of our Lord, 1967, by

ROBERT H. JUSTMAN
Chief Inquisitor
I really love Bobby Justman's style. Hopefully his memo will put an end to these unfounded claims / excuses for lack of proper TOS research that "they often didn't know what they were doing." (which were also quite upsetting my stomach, I should add).

That passionate devotion to detail clearly indicates the contrary.

"The Tholian Web" is just another beautiful example, that you can either choose the "Thermian" or the "Brandon" approach.

For the Thermians - taking the on-screen information literal - there'd be enough evidence that the crew of the Defiant also wore the Enterprise insignia.

The fact, however, that almost all the bodies of the extras were deliberately positioned to obscure the insignia, would indicate it would or should have been a different one, but because of schedule and/or budget restrictions that was probably not possible.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 02:38 PM   #40
J.T.B.
Commodore

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I really love Bobby Justman's style. Hopefully his memo will put an end to these unfounded claims / excuses for lack of proper TOS research that "they often didn't know what they were doing." (which were also quite upsetting my stomach, I should add).

That passionate devotion to detail clearly indicates the contrary.
But the memo doesn't really support that. It shows one producer relying on memory, and apparently forgetting the Matt Decker insignia and the "Balance of Terror" Outpost insignia.

The wardrobe department could easily have put together a notebook or file with the previously-used insignia and what they were supposed to mean (and maybe what the commander/lieutenant commander stripes were, while they were at it). If there's a question, look here, there's the answer. Apparently they didn't have anything to reference. And that's completely understandable, they had bigger things to worry about. But it doesn't really indicate a passionate devotion to detail.

Interesting memo, though, thanks to Harvey for posting.

Justin
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 08:58 AM   #41
Maurice
Vice Admiral

The Outpost insignia isn't germane because it's not starship crew.

Re the Justman memo: production dates below.

Ultimate Computer
Lucas, John Meredyth
Prod #53
Shoot dates: 12/7-12/14/67

The Omega Glory
McEveety, Vincent
Prod #54
Shoot dates: 12/18-12/26/67

As I recall, the dates I have here are confirmed shoot dates, but I understand some days may not be accounted for. The Dec. 18th memo date and the admonition not to change the insignia would indicate the episode in question would be Omega Glory, since the previous episode would have wrapped and there'd be nothing to fix.
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; February 2 2013 at 07:56 PM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 08:24 PM   #42
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain

View DakotaSmith's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to DakotaSmith Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DakotaSmith Send a message via Yahoo to DakotaSmith

Masao wrote: View Post
Good work, DakotaSmith!
Now, can you track this down?

Pfftt ... nope. I totally stumbled across the initial pic on a Google search -- they made the connection, not me. I just looked up what it was called and found some online.

Dakota Smith

DakotaSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 06:03 AM   #43
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

I have this pet theory according to which every seven years the achievements of Starfleet's starships are evaluated and the "best" ship is honored by adapting its insignia for Starfleet (all non-starship personnel).
I hadn't really thought about that before, and I will admit I've always preferred having a single Starfleet uniform emblem (as with TNG on) than the way individual ship insignia were portrayed in TOS, but I do find the idea interesting.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 08:03 PM   #44
Robert Comsol
Commodore

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
But the memo doesn't really support that. It shows one producer relying on memory, and apparently forgetting the Matt Decker insignia.
The Justman memo shows that he cared about such details and possibly somehow missed "The Doomsday Machine".
It's interesting (thanks Maurice) that he wrote this memo the day they started shooting "The Omega Glory" (can I please see the memo he wrote after seeing the dailies for this episode ).

It would almost seem they deliberately decided not to come up with a new insignia for the Defiant in "The Tholian Web" just to appease Bob Justman.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 02:46 AM   #45
Wingsley
Commodore

Really silly question:

Discounting what we saw in ENT's "In a Mirror, Darkly", were there ever any clear images of the Defiant personnel's badges? Or were the visibility of the badges in "The Tholian Web" so poor as to make it academic?