Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 31 2013, 03:47 PM   #16
Boo! Did I Scare Ya?
Admiral

Re: Galileo Restoration Update - Jan 2012

Thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing the end result. It must be a lot of fun working on this project.
Boo! Did I Scare Ya? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 08:34 PM   #17
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Regarding the "Ship of Theseus" paradox, it looks like the original metal frame is that which survives. Having 1:1 replacement wood components and an accurate paint job is essential, and probably a lot harder than it sounds.
The woman who owned it for the last 20 years asked the Smithsonian how much she could replace and still call it a restoration. I think they told her as long as it's more than 50% original, it was good.
By weight or volume?
Old January 31 2013, 09:18 PM   #18
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Gary7 wrote: View Post
All kidding aside, based on the size... seems like The Smithsonian would be ideal.
You got to be still kidding? Considering what the Smithsonian had done to the Big E they'd probably refuse the Galileo shuttlecraft unless it's wheathered, stained and tainted...

Bob
Robert Comsol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 09:25 PM   #19
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
All kidding aside, based on the size... seems like The Smithsonian would be ideal.
You got to be still kidding? Considering what the Smithsonian had done to the Big E they'd probably refuse the Galileo shuttlecraft unless it's wheathered, stained and tainted...

Bob
Ed Mireki's controversial work on the Enterprise is his doing, not the Smithsonian's.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 09:38 PM   #20
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Maurice wrote: View Post
Ed Mireki's controversial work on the Enterprise is his doing, not the Smithsonian's.
(Sorry for being off-topic) I was under the impression that the Enterprise had been in the National Air and Space Museum for several decades (untainted original except for the replacement parts), then got this "overhaul" and was then returned to the NASM. Who decided she needed this...overhaul?

Bob
Old January 31 2013, 10:05 PM   #21
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

I'm surprised Paul Allen never bought it for the Science Fiction Museum.
Old February 1 2013, 03:20 AM   #22
mach7
Commander

The Science Fiction museum is just a shadow of what it was.

Not much is on display any more. They don't have near the room to display it.

My understanding on the Galileo is it's almost been complete replaced. Only a few parts are original.
mach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 04:07 AM   #23
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I was under the impression that the Enterprise had been in the National Air and Space Museum for several decades (untainted original except for the replacement parts), then got this "overhaul" and was then returned to the NASM. Who decided she needed this...overhaul?
I first saw the USS Enterprise filming model at the Smithsonian in January 1984:

USS Enterprise at Smithsonian by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

In January 1992, it had just been taken off display, in order to have essential renovation in time for the September 1992 25th Anniversary celebrations, so I missed seeing it. It was decreed that it was no longer structurally-sound enough to be safely hung from the roof.

Controversially, the "weathered" paint job has been criticized as not being "screen accurate", but it certainly photographs beautifully. Here it is in January 2013, in its perspex display case:

USS Enterprise at the Smithsonian by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 05:47 AM   #24
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post

Bob
Exactly. Thanks.
Old February 1 2013, 06:01 AM   #25
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The nitpicking meanness gets ridiculous sometimes.

The only reason the old Enterprise model still exists is almost certainly the fact that it's been owned and displayed by the Smithsonian for decades. And BTW, over time the thing falls apart as a result of the limitations of its own construction - heavy wooden and wooden-framed parts bolted together without a metal armature sag and warp under their own weight. If you go take a good close look at it in the gift shop, it's happening again. The thing is not built like a shooting miniature but like a big old piece of furniture.

Imagine that shuttlecraft uptopic being treated the way it has, but without a steel framework holding it together to begin with. That is what your blessed Enterprise model would probably be like today without NASM.

For a pittance (the Smithsonian was unwilling to fund an archival restoration) Ed completely disassembled the model, reconstructed cracked and broken parts, fabricated replacements for missing parts, rewired the thing so everything that was supposed to light up now lights up - he even got those nacelle caps rotating again, something that had never been attempted by the Smithsonian "restorers." The previous reconstructions of the model were far less attentive and faithful to the original than Ed - the ship had always been displayed with bright cherry-red nacelle caps and a great big bowl of a deflector dish, most of the model painted over with primer grey.

At no time during its previous history since leaving Paramount had the model been displayed in as authentic condition as after Ed worked on it.

And in the process, he airbrushed some heavy lines onto the surface. Boo-fucking-hoo.

"Gratitude" is not chief among the attributes of many vocal fans.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 06:37 AM   #26
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
And in the process, he airbrushed some heavy lines onto the surface. Boo-fucking-hoo.

It is hard to show complete gratitude when the 1701 was subjected to something seen as unnecessary. Honestly, why heavy lines/weathering? One would think he tried to "upgrade" the look of the miniature to reflect the "worn" trend seen in science fiction miniatures post-Star Wars.

I believe a happy medium would have been his lighting, nacelle cap, deflector dish repairs, but leave the hull with--at least--the 1970s appearance. The lines carry the overboard look of many a customized AMT kit.
Old February 1 2013, 08:23 AM   #27
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
I first saw the USS Enterprise filming model at the Smithsonian in January 1984:

USS Enterprise at Smithsonian by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

In January 1992, it had just been taken off display, in order to have essential renovation in time for the September 1992 25th Anniversary celebrations, so I missed seeing it. It was decreed that it was no longer structurally-sound enough to be safely hung from the roof.

Controversially, the "weathered" paint job has been criticized as not being "screen accurate", but it certainly photographs beautifully. Here it is in January 2013, in its perspex display case:

USS Enterprise at the Smithsonian by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
I saw her about 3 times, the last around May 1990. The first, it was as in your first photo, suspended near a staircase. Even though it looked terrible, with flashing red nacelle caps, it was like visiting a shrine, and I studied it for 15 minutes (with no camera). The last time, I think it was near the gift shop and looked a bit better. I think it had a spinning engine effect. Must have been before the Miarecki restoration, or before it was completed.
Old February 1 2013, 09:36 AM   #28
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Melakon wrote: View Post
Must have been before the Miarecki restoration, or before it was completed.
No, as far as I know, the model went from the ceiling of the flight exhibit, to off-display (November 1991-August 1992), and then to the lower level of the gift shop, fully restored.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 12:10 PM   #29
Robert Comsol
Commodore

...most of the model painted over with primer grey.
That's bull. That was the original color, unless you seriously want to claim, that all the original markings down to the small print at the saucer's underside were painstakingly recreated after such a previous paint job.

At no time during its previous history since leaving Paramount had the model been displayed in as authentic condition as after Ed worked on it.
I should add that I was utterly disappointed to learn that this was Ed Miarecki's doing. I held the man in high esteem for his original starship models for the TNG Wolf 359 graveyard scene for which I am - still today - grateful.

There's a difference between "restoration" and "revisionism".

The creator of the Enterprise, Walter Matt Jefferies, deliberately gave the ship a smooth surface and fought all aspirations to add any protruding elemens. Before the "restoration" the ship looked like it could belong to the 23rd Century, constructed with advanced technology.
Now, it looks archaic and even our welding techniques today no longer leave welding lines or weathering stains (there is no weather promoting rust in space).

What is this? I altered the original model and pray I don't alter it any further?
At least one good thing that came out of the "restoration" were previously unavailable close-up shots of the original model my friend Andy is using to make an exact recreation of the original model.
For that we are very grateful.

Bob
Old February 1 2013, 01:59 PM   #30
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Yes, Ed Miarecki did restore the big 11-footer to a structurally sound condition. But those ridiculous heavy weathering lines are a travesty.

At no time in the production of Trek TOS did the Enterprise look even remotely like that. And fans are supposed to be grateful? What Miarecki did is the equivalent of an art restorer "improving" Leonardo's Mona Lisa by giving her a modern hairdo and an Ultra-Brite smile.