RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,657
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 561
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 31 2013, 08:20 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Star Trek Into Darkness App Debuts

For fans waiting to download the new Star Trek into Darkness app, it has been released in the U.S. and Canada. The app will include missions with new missions becoming available weekly. Initially, the app will contain “between thirty to forty missions, with eight to ten available at any given point and the option to [...]

More...
TrekToday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 08:24 PM   #2
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness App Debuts

TrekToday wrote: View Post
it has been released in the U.S. and Canada.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 10:46 PM   #3
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Dont see it at ALL on Google Play!
Old January 31 2013, 10:49 PM   #4
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Anyway, I worked around the location limitation and downloaded the app. I did all the missions except the one where I have to go to San Francisco...I think
Nothing new for now, just the trailers and promo pics with some captions.

Old January 31 2013, 11:06 PM   #5
Franklin
Rear Admiral

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Anyway, I worked around the location limitation and downloaded the app. I did all the missions except the one where I have to go to San Francisco...I think
Nothing new for now, just the trailers and promo pics with some captions.

Well, you must be a Chief Petty Officer, now, too. Congrats. Not sure how to "go to SF," either. It just sent me to Google Maps, where I used my current location to get directions thinking that's all I had to do. Didn't work. Can't seem to do anything else.
Old January 31 2013, 11:08 PM   #6
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

I believe you must physically go to the SF location the map says to unlock it. So unless you live close by, you're out of luck.

Old January 31 2013, 11:59 PM   #7
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

They should do a British verson of the app where you have to go to London, and get told "If you are standing on this exact spot in 250 years time, you will be detonated."

Thanks for the pics, SalvorHardin!
Old February 1 2013, 12:12 AM   #8
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

King Daniel wrote: View Post
They should do a British verson of the app where you have to go to London, and get told "If you are standing on this exact spot in 250 years time, you will be detonated."

Thanks for the pics, SalvorHardin!
I think I read that there are versions in the works for the UK and elsewhere - just not yet released.

Edit:
TrekMovie.com @TrekMovie
The "Star Trek APP" is in iTunes App store now and will be avail in Google Play soon. Will update when that happens
TrekMovie.com @TrekMovie
Updating the Star Trek app update: It is "on the way" to UK and other Int' app stores but dont have an ETA
So yeah - "on the way"/no firm ETA for UK and Int'l markets. I imagine we'll be hearing more before too long, or check your friendly neighborhood app store for updates.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 12:16 AM   #9
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
I think I read that there are versions in the works for the UK and elsewhere - just not yet released.
I hope that's true. They should step up their marketing game outside North America this time.

Old February 1 2013, 01:58 AM   #10
Franklin
Rear Admiral

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
I believe you must physically go to the SF location the map says to unlock it. So unless you live close by, you're out of luck.
Hmm. Dulles to SF. A sourdough bagel. Tour Alcatraz. Fulfill Trek App task. Can't be bad. [Quick fare search to go Saturday and come back Monday. $700 to $2000!] Well, I'm manic, but not that manic.

Wait. Who's that Priceline guy? Doesn't he have some pull with "Star Trek"? I want those 20 points!
Old February 1 2013, 08:24 PM   #11
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Yeah, I just completed them all except the visit San Francisco one too.

Anyone close by actually go there yet?

www.madshipyard.com
MadMan1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 09:32 PM   #12
drumvan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

i've read elsewhere that you can access the visit starfleet mission by changing the gps location on your device to be san francisco (star fleet). it involved downloading another app to do that so i'm waiting till there's an easier solution.
drumvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 05:53 AM   #13
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

I'm less than impressed. It tells me that my device must be connected to the Internet for the initial app launch. It IS connected to the 'net. I see someone else online got the same notification, but no idea as to why this is happening.

I suppose I'd have problems even if I could get it to work as we (the husband and I) absolutely cannot get our Droid to work with maps (finding out location). It seems simple but he's never been able to get it to work properly and when I got the phone, neither could I, even though I'm pretty good with gadgets. I assume this app needs GPS working, does it not?

Oh well, you get what you pay for. All I got was the poster on the screen.

Edit: Well I'll be damned. I got the GPS and map working. It's sure quirky. When I first got the phone, the map absolutely refused to work. Bet it doesn't next time I try it.

No go on the app though.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.

Last edited by T'Bonz; February 2 2013 at 06:24 AM.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 01:28 PM   #14
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

MadMan1701A wrote: View Post
Yeah, I just completed them all except the visit San Francisco one too.

Anyone close by actually go there yet?

I downloaded an app called Location Spoofer and was able to fool the ST app into thinking I went to San Francisco.
I got the extra 20 points but nothing new unlocked yet.

Old February 2 2013, 03:54 PM   #15
Franklin
Rear Admiral

I think I'll be deleting this app. It would've been nice to get a nugget or two of juicy information early as incentive to keep going. Instead, it's just lots of pictures I've seen before that I can download from any one of a dozen sites in a far less convoluted manner than this app does it.
The stupid map exercise is apparently truly based on people physically visiting that spot in SF to get the points (hard to believe). But if there's another way to do it, the exercise is buggy as hell and not allowing it. Rather stupid, either way.

At the same time, officer thinking, SalvorHardin. You'll be an officer in four years, and have your own ship in eight.