Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 31 2013, 10:38 PM   #31
Ood Sigma
Commander

Re: Weird things we do in our sleep

My wife once told me that I got up in the middle of the night, picked up the phone (which wasn't ringing), put the handset to my ear, waited a few seconds, turned to her, and asked, "Who's Mohammed?", then hung up the phone and went back to bed.

I do not believe that actually happened. It seems more likely that she dreamed it as I have never been known to sleepwalk before or since.
Ood Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 10:40 PM   #32
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Once when I was a freshman in college, my roommate produced an audio recording of what he claimed was me snoring. I dispute this claim. If I snored that loud, I would wake myself up. And the ASPCA would have arrested me for torturing an elephant, because that's what it sounded like.
Old January 31 2013, 10:52 PM   #33
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Snoring doesn't necessarily wake you up, and if it does, you probably wouldn't know why you woke up.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 11:34 PM   #34
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
Now that I'm older, I have some really strange sleeping positions, but the oddest thing is that sometimes I will go to sleep inside the covers, in a certain position, and then wake up in the middle of the night in the same exact position except on top of the covers. And they are perfectly straightened like the bed has just been made. Usually I wake up from feeling cold, and then I feel confused and freaked out about how I ended up on top of my blankets in the same position, especially since I am a very light sleeper now and even just the cat silently walking into my room wakes me up.
It may be time to set up a video camera. Paranormal activity or (even more cool!) alien abduction may be involved...
Old January 31 2013, 11:38 PM   #35
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

Kestra wrote: View Post
Snoring doesn't necessarily wake you up, and if it does, you probably wouldn't know why you woke up.
Trust me, it would wake me up, and I'd know why. I am an extremely light sleeper.
Old January 31 2013, 11:39 PM   #36
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Kestra wrote: View Post
Trust me, it would wake me up, and I'd know why. I am an extremely light sleeper.
Sorry, it doesn't always work like that. I'm not saying that you definitely snore, I'm just saying that you can't really know.
Old January 31 2013, 11:41 PM   #37
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Well, I stop breathing. I.e. I have sleep apnea. When i had it examined it was discovered that I have on average 70 breathing "halts" per hour. The normal is five. With treatment with a CPAP that has now been remedied to about one per hour. So slight improvement.

I used to sleepwalk a lot when I was a kid.
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
I talk in my sleep, walk in my sleep, and shop online in my sleep.
When you say talk, is it gibberish or coherent? I'm just asking since my cousin talks pretty damned coherently in his sleep. My mom was witness to a conversation his parents had while they both where sleeping, in which they both where convinced they where out tenting. and the rain was pouring in and they where looking for the bucket
Old January 31 2013, 11:48 PM   #38
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

I've heard talk that some people actually have sex in their sleep - sometimes with an unwilling partner. I always wondered how that could possibly be prosecuted in court, if at all. Obviously you can't control what you do in your sleep, so if somebody is sleeping and they assault someone in this manner, how could that possibly be punished?
Old January 31 2013, 11:53 PM   #39
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

When we were kids, my youngest brother would talk in his sleep. I discovered he also answered questions... which made for interesting interrogations! He never did find out how I knew everything he was doing.
Old February 1 2013, 12:34 AM   #40
propita
Rear Admiral

My husband has talked in his sleep, not very coherently, sometimes in English, sometimes in Spanish. When he's spoken in English, I've asked, "What?", initially because I thought he was talking to me. He would wake up. When he's spoken in Spanish, I've asked, "Que?" He would wake up.

THE MAN NEVER HEARS ME TALK TO HIM WHEN HE'S WIDE AWAKE, BUT WHEN HE'S ASLEEP, MY WHISPERING WAKES HIM UP?! WTF?!
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 01:03 AM   #41
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I used to sleep walk when I was a kid and would sometimes go up and talk to family members---not making any sense, of course. It used to freak me out to wake up in the living room or in my parents room, when I went to bed in my own room.

As an adult, I don't do anything particularly strange when I sleep. However, hubby tells me that, on cold nights, I'll roll over and wrap all the covers around me, like a window-shade--leaving him without so much of an inch of the quilt.

Lately, I've been waking up with both my arms draped over my head, like I'm pushing my head down. Not a good idea, as it causes quite a sore neck from all the pressure.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 01:42 AM   #42
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I've heard talk that some people actually have sex in their sleep - sometimes with an unwilling partner. I always wondered how that could possibly be prosecuted in court, if at all. Obviously you can't control what you do in your sleep, so if somebody is sleeping and they assault someone in this manner, how could that possibly be punished?
http://health.usnews.com/health-news...alking-defense
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 01:56 AM   #43
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I firmly believe that any person who wants to share my bed has to be prepared to stand his ground and defend himself from being pushed off the bed or having the covers stolen. If I can push you around in my sleep, what am I going to be like when I'm awake?
Old February 1 2013, 03:36 AM   #44
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

every bed should have two sets of covers. it would solve a lot of problems.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 03:42 AM   #45
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Emher wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
I talk in my sleep, walk in my sleep, and shop online in my sleep.
When you say talk, is it gibberish or coherent? I'm just asking since my cousin talks pretty damned coherently in his sleep. My mom was witness to a conversation his parents had while they both where sleeping, in which they both where convinced they where out tenting. and the rain was pouring in and they where looking for the bucket
I am coherent, according to the family, roommates, friends, and boyfriends who have seen it. I have conversations, but apparently it doesn't take too long before they realize that I'm asleep. It weirds me out!

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote