TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 31 2013, 10:32 AM   #46
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Poor Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru... Oh Well!

^^ I could accept all that as true if the whole series wasn't infused with a cavalier inhumanity.

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
their mother was a necrophiliac--
Clearly I'm WAY behind on my Clone Wars viewing...
Urk. It's a kid's show people! Maybe I should just skip the current season?
I was half joking. It was a reference to how Amidala was all turned on when Anakin committed genocide. That creeped me out as much as Luke and Leia in Episode IV.
Old January 31 2013, 01:57 PM   #47
Beagleman
Captain

She's probably just one of those women who write letters to serial killers in prison and try to hook up with them...
Beagleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 02:48 PM   #48
Forbin
Admiral

This makes me wonder if Luke visited the old homestead when he returned to Tatooine during Return of the Jedi. And were the corpses still there? I mean, he appears to have scampered without burying them.

Or, if the local constabulary found the bodies, is there a warrant out for Luke?
I can see the Tatooine Times headline:
LOCAL COUPLE FOUND MURDERED. REBELLIOUS NEPHEW MISSING, SUSPECTED.

It's a wonder he didn't get nabbed the minute he set foot on-planet.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 03:02 PM   #49
TV's Frank
Fleet Captain

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
^ Well stated.
Thanks!
TV's Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 04:04 PM   #50
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Albertese wrote: View Post
and then his family turns up extra crispy after he realizes that something might be up with the droids.
He realized something was up before returning to the homestead; remember, it was the realization that Stormtroopers were killing witnesses while on the trail of the droids which filled him with fear for their safety, and sent him racing home.
Old January 31 2013, 04:09 PM   #51
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

gblews wrote: View Post
One additional scene, with Luke standing over their graves, saying some appropriate words conveying sorrow and determination and the reason to go on, would have helped. But I'll bet time/money constraints were the reason we never got this scene.
Owen and Beru were not quite finished in the original trilogy: they were referenced in a taunt by Vader (as "your family") in several drafts of The Empire Strikes Back's screenplay (during the lightsaber duel in the Carbon Freezing Chamber).
Old January 31 2013, 04:16 PM   #52
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

arch101 wrote: View Post
This has probably been discussed in another post, but, when you take into account the total deaths from Alderaan, the Death Star, Owen and Beru, Greedo, various Stormtroopers, Jawas and rebel pilots, this movie has one helluva death toll! And what did we all do? We sat in the audience and CHEERED! This is NOT a film about empathy.
Not only that..:

This Halloween while my friends and I walked all our little rugrats around, I joked how funny it would be to dress up my kid as "The Saw Guy" (I haven't seen the film), my wife and more than one person krinkled their noses and said it would be in poor taste.....meanwhile about 20 little Darth Vaders walked past us.

As for the OP, as someone else said...the fact that he calls them "Aunt and Uncle" says that somewhere along the line Owen and Beru had second thoughts about this whole 'getting a baby dumped on us' thing. Besides we only know Luke was given to them as a baby from ROTS, does it say anywhere in Star Wars (I refuse to call it A New Hope) how old he was when they started raising him?
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 04:21 PM   #53
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Forbin wrote: View Post
This makes me wonder if Luke visited the old homestead when he returned to Tatooine during Return of the Jedi. And were the corpses still there? I mean, he appears to have scampered without burying them.

Or, if the local constabulary found the bodies, is there a warrant out for Luke?
I can see the Tatooine Times headline:
LOCAL COUPLE FOUND MURDERED. REBELLIOUS NEPHEW MISSING, SUSPECTED.

It's a wonder he didn't get nabbed the minute he set foot on-planet.
"MASS JAWA GRAVE FOUND, PROTOCAL DROID SOUGHT AS 'PERSON OF INTEREST'."
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 04:53 PM   #54
Albertese
Commodore

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
and then his family turns up extra crispy after he realizes that something might be up with the droids.
He realized something was up before returning to the homestead; remember, it was the realization that Stormtroopers were killing witnesses while on the trail of the droids which filled him with fear for their safety, and sent him racing home.
Indeed! Which is why I wrote that "his family turns up extra crispy after he realizes that something might be up with the droids."

Dale Sams wrote: View Post

As for the OP, as someone else said...the fact that he calls them "Aunt and Uncle" says that somewhere along the line Owen and Beru had second thoughts about this whole 'getting a baby dumped on us' thing. Besides we only know Luke was given to them as a baby from ROTS, does it say anywhere in Star Wars (I refuse to call it A New Hope) how old he was when they started raising him?
No, but we can assume from Return of the Jedi that he was very young, since he tells Leia he has no memory of his real mother and there is absolutely nothing at all to suggest that there was some other intermediary family.

I don't think it's fair to say that the fact that Luke addresses them with the titles of Uncle and Aunt implies they have a sour relationship. Excluding the prequel movies, we have to assume that either Owen Lars and his wife, Beru, took in the boy at a very young age and have no relationship to him, but encouraged Luke to call them Uncle and Aunt to make him feel like he was among family or else that Beru was Anakin's sister and Owen was his brother-in-law and the Beru was Luke's natural aunt (not Owen, because otherwise his name should probably also be Skywalker instead of Lars.) The Prequels do establish that, in fact, Owen was Anakin's step-brother and they barely ever met and that Obi-wan made the hand-off of baby Luke when he was mere weeks old.

Luke is a nineteen year old kid who wants "to get off this rock" so, naturally, there's some tension between him and his father-figure, as I expect is true between the majority of teenagers and authority figures. But it's clear that both Owen and Beru care for Luke. Beru tries to convince Owen to let him go because he's "just not a farmer" and says so in a loving tone... not at all dismissive of Luke's feelings. And then Owen reveals why he doesn't: he's afraid that Luke will be "too much like his father" and go off and get himself in trouble. For all we know, Owen may just believe that Anakin was killed when the Jedi were hunted down by the Empire, so that's why he lied to Luke and made him accept as fact the much more boring idea that Anakin was a simple navigator on a spice freighter. If we go ahead and admit as evidence the prequels, then Owen probably does have an image in his mind of Anakin being kind of a weird guy. Granted, they only meet while Anakin is trying to find his mother and then is around for his mourning of her, and we have no reason to assume that he ever knew anything about the slaughtering of the sandpeople, but maybe he was left with a low opinion of Anakin anyhow.

I do not see any evidence that Owen and Breu had anything but a healthy, normal relationship with their "nephew"/informally adopted son.

Also, I'm not questioning the mythological archetype of Star Wars or it's position in time having been released in the grim-dark of the 1970's, All I'm saying is that it strikes me as odd that Luke never acknowledges this later in the movie. It is an oversight in the screenplay, but it doesn't effect my enjoyment of the film. I still love Star Wars and enjoy it every time I see it, warts and all.

--Alex
Old January 31 2013, 05:04 PM   #55
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

For all we know, Owen may just believe that Anakin was killed when the Jedi were hunted down by the Empire, so that's why he lied to Luke and made him accept as fact the much more boring idea that Anakin was a simple navigator on a spice freighter.
In retrospect, after Empire came out, Owen's admission that he was "afraid of" Luke turning out like his father fit perfectly as one of the things in the original film foreshadowing the revelation that Luke's father is Vader. To me, that line really plays like Owen is aware that Luke's father turned out bad.
Old January 31 2013, 06:56 PM   #56
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Luke's lack of a memory of his true parents always--and strongly suggested he was adopted at birth, since that would be the age when limited experiences would not be strong enough to be recalled later in life, hence Luke's "no memory" statement to Leia in Return of the Jedi.
Old January 31 2013, 07:09 PM   #57
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
In retrospect, after Empire came out, Owen's admission that he was "afraid of" Luke turning out like his father fit perfectly as one of the things in the original film foreshadowing the revelation that Luke's father is Vader. To me, that line really plays like Owen is aware that Luke's father turned out bad.
When watching Star Wars back in '77, Owen's line "that's what i'm afraid of" just screamed something horrible--possibly related to Vader. In the film--and when no one was thinking a sequel would be produced--Owen being fearful of some random Imperial officer would not make much sense, as they (the empire staffers) were faceless, but Vader was the standout--the mystery man with supernatural powers.

Who else would Owen refer to in that way?
Old January 31 2013, 07:35 PM   #58
sojourner
Admiral

I always took the line as "I'm afraid he'll turn into a reckless, carefree, adventure seeker like his father", as opposed to Owen's dependable, sensible farmer archetype.
Old January 31 2013, 08:36 PM   #59
The Wormhole
Admiral

Star Wars is not exactly known for its depth of characterization-- nor is George Lucas known for his depth or insight. The death of the aunt and uncle free Luke up to go off on a big adventure where things blow up; they are never mentioned or thought of again. Leia is both tortured and forced to watch her entire planet of billions of people incinerated, and it has no long-term effect on her. In the prequels, her mother is actually turned on when Darth Skywalker commits genocide.

Thinking about the SW characters as if they were real people is just creepy. It's best to just sit back and watch the explosions.
People in Star Wars, especially the OT just weren't emotional. In addition to these examples, you had Han Solo, after spending a couple of years frozen in carbonite and nearly fed to a giant vagina in the sand after being woken, the first thing he does is lead a rebel strike force against the Empire's premsuably most well-defended facility.

That's one of the things I like about Star Wars, what should be significant life changing events are just shrugged of by all concerned. Nothing is dwelt on, everything gets swept under the rug. Well, almost. Luke did have trouble accepting Vader was his father, and Leia had some trouble dealing with Luke being her brother. But still, they worked this stuff out a lot quicker than most people, who might require some pretty extensive therapy in those situations.

That's something that worries me about Abrams doing Episode 7. He's so into emotions. Someone's probably going to cry in that movie.
Old January 31 2013, 09:17 PM   #60
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

^^ I could accept all that as true if the whole series wasn't infused with a cavalier inhumanity.

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
Clearly I'm WAY behind on my Clone Wars viewing...
Urk. It's a kid's show people! Maybe I should just skip the current season?
I was half joking. It was a reference to how Amidala was all turned on when Anakin committed genocide. That creeped me out as much as Luke and Leia in Episode IV.
Then wouldn't she have been more attracted to one of the dead Sandpeople? I guess this is the point at which the conversation should be dropped.

In addition to these examples, you had Han Solo, after spending a couple of years frozen in carbonite and nearly fed to a giant vagina in the sand after being woken, the first thing he does is lead a rebel strike force against the Empire's premsuably most well-defended facility.
Now that makes sense, he was pissed!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote