Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 30 2013, 04:39 PM   #61
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: If Not Wonder Woman...Then Who?

I guess what I was getting at with my post is the Marvel has more female characters that I would be interested in seeing having solo projects, not so much that they already have popular solo female characters. Ms. Marvel, for instance, I would love to see developed as a solo franchise, or at least introduced in the next Avengers movie. I think Marvel has some fantastic female characters that have a lot of potential to be far more popular then they are.
Old January 30 2013, 04:43 PM   #62
Christopher
Writer

^Ms. Marvel is called Captain Marvel these days, and she's got a solo title that's apparently been quite well-received critically, though I'm not sure how it's selling.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 04:52 PM   #63
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, good. Honestly, if they don't introduce her in any of the movies, she sounds like a great character to include in the new SHIELD TV show.
Old January 30 2013, 05:04 PM   #64
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Ms. Marvel is called Captain Marvel these days, and she's got a solo title that's apparently been quite well-received critically, though I'm not sure how it's selling.
it IS a great book. Sadly, I've heard rumblings it's going to be cancelled. Sales...
Old January 30 2013, 05:09 PM   #65
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

It's already past the magic cancellation number. So unless Ultron War boosts sales, it's a goner.

Fearless Defenders won't make it past 20 issues.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 05:35 PM   #66
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

You know, Mystique might have movie potential. A shape-changing mutant spy could work, especially since the character is very familiar to movie audiences at this point.
Old January 31 2013, 02:12 AM   #67
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
it IS a great book. Sadly, I've heard rumblings it's going to be cancelled. Sales...
I've found it to be poorly written. Not too keen on DeConnick's Avenger's Assembled either.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 02:24 AM   #68
stj
Rear Admiral

I can acknowledge that Whedon was at least trying to do something interesting with Black Widow. Unfortunately it didn't work. Nolan's didn't even try to do anything with Catwoman, she just falls for Batman. Most of the other females mentioned in the thread are unfamiliar or were never very good characters.

It seems to me that an original is the most likely and the most desirable. But an original has the same problem as Wonder Woman adaptations. Hot chick playing badass because it's sexy, or a real woman who might appeal to female audiences? The fear, irrational or not, that real women won't get the boys in, will make an acceptable script a really tough call for Hollywood.

Since it's so tough, shouldn't an indie production tackle it? Maybe they could go dark, like a boy stumbles onto a magic ring that gives him superpowers...and breasts.
Old January 31 2013, 02:36 AM   #69
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Hmm, I thought Catwoman was shown to be quite capable, played men's preconceptions against them, and even took out the big heavy. She was a hottie, yeah, but Christian Bale doesn't look like the average guy either.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 03:37 AM   #70
JD
Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post

And she strikes me as Marvel's equivalent to Wonder Woman.
Ever since I became familiar with the characters, I've thought of Ms./Capt. Marvel as Marvel's equivalent to Wonder Woman.
Old January 31 2013, 03:41 AM   #71
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
I can acknowledge that Whedon was at least trying to do something interesting with Black Widow. Unfortunately it didn't work. Nolan's didn't even try to do anything with Catwoman, she just falls for Batman. Most of the other females mentioned in the thread are unfamiliar or were never very good characters.
Nolan just doesn't understand Batman period as TDKR demonstrates. The same goes for Whedon and the Avengers, but at least Whedon had the bare bones of Millar's Ultimates story to work from.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 04:27 AM   #72
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
I can acknowledge that Whedon was at least trying to do something interesting with Black Widow. Unfortunately it didn't work.
I believe it did work for the majority of move-goers, especially for those not familiar with geek culture.
Old January 31 2013, 05:30 AM   #73
stj
Rear Admiral

Well, a woman in her twenties who has been a Shield agent for some years after other years when she was a Russian assassin must have started her career in murder when she was twelve? And this was supposed to be in the new democratic Russia too, when the main people being attacked were Chechens. Or was Yeltsin's secret imperialist assault on the West foiled by Shield before it got into the papers?

I don't know is the Romanov story actually contributed to the popularity of the Avengers movie or not. I suspect the spectacle and some one liners did far more. But it is painfully obvious that it shouldn't have. Wasn't the most crowd thrilling moment for her when she was called a "mewling quim," which is Whedon-speak for "whining cunt?" Speaks for itself, I think.
Old January 31 2013, 05:42 AM   #74
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Well, actually about 30 seconds later.

And her recruitment as a child was established when she went to enlist Banner, yeah.
Old January 31 2013, 05:49 AM   #75
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Black Widow and Banner were the two break-out characters in the movie I watched. I have a suspicion that many other people saw something similar.