Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 28 2013, 10:36 PM   #61
Metryq
Captain

Re: FAULTY - the two worst TOS remastering mistakes

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Now, can these large CGI displays of the Enterprise please stop? My stomach feels very upset again.
In other words, the CGI Enterprise needs yet another modification—namely a bulwark for you to heave over—while the original model was just fine without one.

Curious. Would the hurl go into orbit around the ship's artificial gravity field, or continue off into the void? Better duck, just in case. Wouldn't want to splash yourself on the back of the head.
Old January 28 2013, 11:39 PM   #62
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Metryq wrote: View Post
Curious. Would the hurl go into orbit around the ship's artificial gravity field, or continue off into the void? Better duck, just in case. Wouldn't want to splash yourself on the back of the head.
Another riddle of the CGI Enterprise solved. Now we know where all these weathering stains come from...

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 12:33 AM   #63
Warped9
Admiral

This is about the time RAMA should be popping in here to tell us how wrong we all are and that the cgi model in TOS-R is vastly superior in every way.
Old January 29 2013, 07:41 AM   #64
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

^Oh good, maybe he'll be showing off his pectorals.
Old January 29 2013, 11:36 AM   #65
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
This is about the time RAMA should be popping in here to tell us how wrong we all are and that the cgi model in TOS-R is vastly superior in every way.
Looks like a debate I missed, but I think I have some ideas.

One argument is probably that all windows are illuminated and that by the 23rd Century you don't need to feel concerned about saving room light energy any more.

But then, try to have an unobstructed view of the stars and galaxies from within one of these rooms.

And the mix of lit and unlit windows on the original VFX Enterprise added a sense of believability to a 20th Century viewer - again, "less" would have been "more".

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 11:40 AM   #66
Metryq
Captain

Many of you probably know of Scott Gammans' efforts to create his own nuFX for "The Doomsday Machine," begun before Paramount released their own version. YouTuber SpockBoy edited together a collection of shots from Scott's work. Take note of the specular detail in the hull plating, especially in the shot starting at 21 seconds—it is very similar to the "overexposed" shot discussed earlier in this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tO7cl6bmOs

Old January 29 2013, 03:21 PM   #67
TheRealSuluh
Ensign

Hull plating.
TheRealSuluh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 03:47 PM   #68
Metryq
Captain

TheRealSuluh wrote: View Post
Hull plating.
Old January 31 2013, 04:19 AM   #69
Warped9
Admiral

Many of you probably know of Scott Gammans' efforts to create his own nuFX for "The Doomsday Machine," begun before Paramount released their own version. YouTuber SpockBoy edited together a collection of shots from Scott's work. Take note of the specular detail in the hull plating, especially in the shot starting at 21 seconds—it is very similar to the "overexposed" shot discussed earlier in this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tO7cl6bmOs

Interesting he's used music from the Bond film Moonraker I believe.
Old January 31 2013, 06:05 AM   #70
Wingsley
Commodore

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post

This was the angle I was thinking of. I couldn't find it at Memory Alpha as they seem to be replacing a lot of the original studio model shots with remastered versions.

This is a case where the original is tough to compete with. They should have taken another pass at it.

You know what?

The lighting on the CGI version is brighter (and looks to be from multiple sources) as opposed to the "original" footage, where the image is darker. This comparison is in contrast to other comparisons I've noted, where the TOS-R Enterprise is darker than the "original".

It seems whenever the lighting on the TOS-R spacecraft gets brighter and more thorough (more sources), it ruins the CGI image.
Old January 31 2013, 06:02 PM   #71
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Another example of the timing being off for the new effects was in Mudd's Women. After they beam Mudd aboard, but just before they snag the chicks, Mudd's ship is hit by an asteroid. In the original, Farrell cries out "there she goes" By the time Kirk turns around, he see what we see: the ship exploding. Not the impact itself, but the result.

In the TOS-R version, Farrell cries out "there she goes," Kirk turns from Spock's scanner, looks at the screen and the asteroid STILL hasn't hit the ship yet, it strikes a second or two later so the audience can see a "cool" visual. However, when Farrell cried out, the asteroid was still a ways off from hitting the ship, so yelling out "there she goes" makes little sense. Yes, I guess he could be anticipating and making sure Kirk doesn't miss it, but that is another excuse for bad effects judgment.

I guess it's just me, but the new ship explosions never looked quite right. Far too quickly done and very Babylon 5 like (their ship detonations were pretty phony looking even for the time). I found the Klingon ship explosion in Day of the Dove to be very unsatisfying; we see the ship for a split second, not long enough to process the image. Too short to even justify drawing it.

However, some of the new effects are stunning. The Rigel 7 fortress, the Enterprise in Tomorrow is Yesterday and so on. But being complimentary is boring. LOL
Old January 31 2013, 07:22 PM   #72
Lieut. Arex
Fleet Captain

the worst mistake is the enbarassing modelnof the D7 and the amatuer texturing job done on them in enterprise incident jiminey cricket that looked like they werent even trying
Lieut. Arex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 04:40 PM   #73
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
However, some of the new effects are stunning. The Rigel 7 fortress, the Enterprise in Tomorrow is Yesterday and so on. But being complimentary is boring. LOL
More great TOS-R fx:

The view out Pike's hospital window on Starbase 11 as the camera swings around, replacing an in-camera diarama.

The cityscape on Scalos, replacing an in-camera cyclorama painting.

The cloud city Stratos, replacing a miniature that sits on a cotton cloud.

The supernova and destruction of Sarpiedon.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 05:33 PM   #74
Metryq
Captain

One original artifact that I didn't really notice until watching the color enhanced Remastered "The Immunity Syndrome" was the color offset during the "vibration" opticals:

The red-blue split makes the images look like anaglyphic 3D. The screen cap above was pulled from the original DVD version, although I did amp up the color a bit to highlight the color offset. (I could not pull a cap from the TOS-R HD version, as I do not have it in my library. I could probably pull a cap from streamed Netflix, but I think everyone gets the idea.)

I'm guessing the "vibration" effect could have been done without the color offset, but someone might have thought it looked better.
Old February 2 2013, 06:55 AM   #75
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

One original artifact that I didn't really notice until watching the color enhanced Remastered "The Immunity Syndrome" was the color offset during the "vibration" opticals
For comparison's sake:

from http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/thumbnail...bum=46&page=35
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote