Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

View Poll Results: Spanking, a valid form of punishment?
Spanking is a valid form of punishment 19 59.38%
Spanking isn't a valid form of punishment 13 40.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 30 2013, 04:57 PM   #46
Kenbushway
Captain

Re: Question for the Parents on TrekBBS

Kenbushway wrote: View Post
2/17/92. I am 20 about to turn 21.
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
You were born on the 2nd day of the 17th month?
Seriously...You are going to come after me for not putting a 0..
Old January 30 2013, 05:05 PM   #47
Pingfah
Admiral

No, he's coming after you for using crazy American date formats. In civilised countries such as the UK, we would put 17/02/92.
Old January 30 2013, 05:10 PM   #48
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

Civilised? Please, we both live in the westcountry. We're still getting to grips with this magical indoor plumbing stuff.
Old January 30 2013, 05:12 PM   #49
Pingfah
Admiral

I'm a pretty accomplished home plumber i'll have you know, I put in a new sink and toilet last year
Old January 30 2013, 05:37 PM   #50
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

We have the same birthday, 2/17.

I know we're talking mostly about the physical aspect of discipline. However I believe that the psychological damage done by verbal abuse is much worse in the long run. My father was abusive, occasionally physically but the verbal abuse was constant and often harsher then any physically he could have done. Beyond promising myself to be a much better father to my children then my father was to me, I make a full conscious effort to not hurt my children with verbal abuse. I know how it has effected me, throughout my life.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 05:55 PM   #51
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post
No, he's coming after you for using crazy American date formats. In civilised countries such as the UK, we would put 17/02/92.
If anyone was civilized, they'd use a format that couldn't be screwed up or misinterpreted, like 1992/02/17, which is what is required to be used on military documents.
Old January 30 2013, 06:50 PM   #52
mari
Captain

B.J. wrote: View Post
That's why you have socket covers.
If you have a particularly clever toddler, they don't work at all. In fact, they may find it a fun game to pull them all off!
My youngest sister intentionally stuck her finger in a socket twice. Because once is a fluke, twice is a coincidence, and three times is a pattern. I think after the second time we must have put those covers in, and laziness overrode curiosity.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 11:28 PM   #53
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Yup.

If anyone was civilized, they'd use a format that couldn't be screwed up or misinterpreted, like 1992/02/17, which is what is required to be used on military documents.
It's just as likely to be misinterpreted as 17/2/1992, which is what we use. If "the military" use that format, my guess is only only because being seen using anything European will send them into fits of convulsions.
Old January 30 2013, 11:38 PM   #54
B.J.
Rear Admiral

It's just as likely to be misinterpreted as 17/2/1992, which is what we use. If "the military" use that format, my guess is only only because being seen using anything European will send them into fits of convulsions.
It not likely to be misinterpreted since nobody uses YYYY/DD/MM as a format, only YYYY/MM/DD. When the year is last, either the day or month could be first.
Old January 30 2013, 11:51 PM   #55
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Only if putting the month first would make sense. Which it doesn't.
Old January 31 2013, 01:00 AM   #56
Kenbushway
Captain

I have a feeling the discussion is getting off topic. This could be another interesting thread topic though if the debate wants to continue.
Old January 31 2013, 01:27 AM   #57
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Yeah, true that. The OT is interesting enough for once.
Old January 31 2013, 07:52 AM   #58
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

You are both wrong! Any civilized person uses Stardates: 9202.17 is the logical way to do it.
Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
We have the same birthday, 2/17.

I know we're talking mostly about the physical aspect of discipline. However I believe that the psychological damage done by verbal abuse is much worse in the long run. My father was abusive, occasionally physically but the verbal abuse was constant and often harsher then any physically he could have done. Beyond promising myself to be a much better father to my children then my father was to me, I make a full conscious effort to not hurt my children with verbal abuse. I know how it has effected me, throughout my life.
I was a victim of physical abuse in the home. If I did not get a beating one day, I was living in constant fear of it happening. However, the verbal abuse was much worse.

When I became a parent, I chose to spank sparingly... but I still spanked when necessary. My little girl is a mother of 4 now. She still remembers the one real spanking she received for getting away from me at a busy county fair. When I found her I was holding her by one hand and spanking with the other. I happened to look up and see a sheriff deputy watching me and said, "I'm going to jail, huh?" His response was, "If it was my child, I'd be doing the same thing. Carry on." She was about 4, I think. She never ran off in public again, though.

My brother and I were taught: Punishment follows wrongdoing. Both of us became successful in life. Our younger siblings were raised in the school of "let's rap/talk about it" and were never spanked. Both are less successful in many areas of life.

I raised both my sister's children, including the little girl mentioned above. Although both went back to their mother in high school, to this day, both of them call my home "Home".

I am also in favor of the new wave of "public embarrassment as punishment". It also teaches them the moral of "Punishment follows wrongdoing." Prisons are full of people who never learned this lesson until it was too late.
Old January 31 2013, 03:44 PM   #59
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^In general, though, the data don't support your experience. Adults who were spanked as children are generally less successful than those who were not spanked. And I certainly don't think one has to be physically punished to be punished.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 04:32 PM   #60
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
When I became a parent, I chose to spank sparingly... but I still spanked when necessary. My little girl is a mother of 4 now. She still remembers the one real spanking she received for getting away from me at a busy county fair. When I found her I was holding her by one hand and spanking with the other. I happened to look up and see a sheriff deputy watching me and said, "I'm going to jail, huh?" His response was, "If it was my child, I'd be doing the same thing. Carry on." She was about 4, I think. She never ran off in public again, though.
The only real spanking my sixteen-year old son ever received was from my wife. We had a grocery store that was a block away from our house and she was there checking out when she let go of his hand to pay the cashier. She looked back down and he was gone. They locked down the store and called the police.

They found him sitting on our back porch. He decided he'd walk home instead of waiting. He was around four and got his ass reddened good by my wife.