RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,232
Posts: 5,405,989
Members: 24,762
Currently online: 645
Newest member: PaulHicks

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 29 2013, 11:43 AM   #46
Marten
Captain
 
Location: Southern Sweden
Re: [SPOILER?] to be in the film?

Wouldn't the time window for a first Enterprise be extremly tight? There cannot be two ships of the same name active at the same time, and I do not believe that they would name a new ship Enterprise right after the first one was lost, destroyed or whaterever happened to it.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 11:57 AM   #47
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: [SPOILER?] to be in the film?

I don't think they will say there was another Enterprise before the movie one. Maybe April never actually captained any Enterprise.
Maybe he was assigned to captain the movie Enterprise while it was being built but something happened , they threw him out and replaced him with Pike.
__________________


Last edited by SalvorHardin; January 29 2013 at 12:44 PM.
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 12:14 PM   #48
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: [SPOILER?] to be in the film?

Marten wrote: View Post
Wouldn't the time window for a first Enterprise be extremly tight? There cannot be two ships of the same name active at the same time, and I do not believe that they would name a new ship Enterprise right after the first one was lost, destroyed or whaterever happened to it.
Since the launch date of 2245 for the TOS Enterprise is pure conjecture from the old Encyclopedia and Chronology books (the novelization of "The Counter-Clock Incident" puts it further back, 40 years prior to TAS), there's Kirk's entire lifetime for an Enterprise to be launched and somehow lost.

The Enterprise-A came along very quickly after the destruction of the original, and the Enterprise-E was launched I think a year after the -D crashed. DS9's Defiant was replaced in even less time. On the other end of the spectrum, there was a huge gap between the retirement of the NX-01 Enterprise and launch of NCC-1701 (going by whichever launch date), and 20 years between the -C and -D.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 01:05 PM   #49
ralph
Captain
 
ralph's Avatar
 
Location: Brazil
Re: [SPOILER?] to be in the film?

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
I don't think they will say there was another Enterprise before the movie one. Maybe April never actually captained any Enterprise.
Why not?

Others ships appear in Star Trek: The Motion Picture among a series of illustrations depicting ships named Enterprise.

In comic he looks like an old spaceship captain. Perhaps he was the period of Captain Robau. Nobody knows if that period had some other ship name Enterprise.
__________________
Ralph Pinheiro
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 01:51 PM   #50
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: [SPOILER?] to be in the film?

ralph wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
I don't think they will say there was another Enterprise before the movie one. Maybe April never actually captained any Enterprise.
Why not?

Others ships appear in Star Trek: The Motion Picture among a series of illustrations depicting ships named Enterprise.

In comic he looks like an old spaceship captain. Perhaps he was the period of Captain Robau. Nobody knows if that period had some other ship name Enterprise.
I don't doubt that there is enough time gap that they could fit another Enterprise for April. It's a possibility. I just don't think they would go for that.
I think the movie Enterprise was intended to be the first one after Archer's.
I may of course be wrong. I'm just throwing another theory out there.
__________________

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 02:28 PM   #51
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: [SPOILER?] to be in the film?

If NX-01 was retired in 2161, and in the ST09 universe, Kirk's Enterprise was launched in 2258 instead of 2245 (which is not on-screen canon for TOS, anyway), that leaves a gap of just under 100 years for another starship Enterprise to have existed.

Nothing about Robert April is canon by the on-screen test, anyway. But if you take his Memory Alpha birthdate of 2195, he could've become captain of a starship in the early 2230s. After that, it's conjecture upon conjecture. But if he captained a ship in the 2230s, it could've been a ship called, Enterprise.

There were only thirteen years between the decommissioning of the WWII aircraft carrier Enterprise and the construction of the new one. So if April's Enterprise met its fate in the mid-2240s in the ST09 universe (or was at least thought to), having a new ship named Enterprise just over a decade later isn't a big deal.

Further, having April command a ship called Enterprise, but it's not NCC-1701, would fit in with the slight twists in continuity between the two universes.

It could also be that if any of this does translate to the movie, and Weller is April, then it's possible his Enterprise still exists somehow, and that could be the ship we see crashing into SF Bay. (Let's just say in 2258, having April in his mid-60s would be about right by any timeline. Weller is in his mid-60s. Not that it means anything, just pointing that out.) The flyover and memorial we see in the trailer could be for April, who if he started a villain, somehow redeemed and sacrificed himself in the movie.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain

Last edited by Franklin; January 29 2013 at 03:12 PM.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 04:12 PM   #52
Saul
Rear Admiral
 
Saul's Avatar
 
Location: 東京
Re: [SPOILER?] to be in the film?

The old Star Trek: The first adventure/academy script featured an earlier Enterprise that was stolen from a museum. I don't see a problem with their been another Enterprise under a different register since we are on new terms here.
April's Enterprise against Kirk's Enterprise would be a wet dream.
__________________
"It's not that you can see the strings, it's that 40 years later you're still looking at them." - Steven Moffat
"This movie was big. Imagine how big it could have been with me in it?" William Shatner
Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 01:46 AM   #53
Procutus
Admiral
 
Procutus's Avatar
 
Location: Caught in a Prism...
Re: [SPOILER?] to be in the film?

Maxillius wrote: View Post

Archer's Enterprise would be 82 years old as of 2233. I don't know offhand the design life of the NX class, but I'd be real surprised if it was over 40 years.

Granted, that would be pushing it a bit, but consider that in the Trek novels, the U.S.S. Lovell, a Daedalus-class ship, was in service for over a hundred years. It's at least feasible that the NX-01 could be the ship April is referring to.
__________________
Proud user of Windows XP since 2006.
Procutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 04:28 AM   #54
throwback
Captain
 
Re: [SPOILER?] to be in the film?

Why would it wrong for Nero to discover dilithium deposits on Delta Vega? He was a civilian captain commanding a civilian ship.

If we accept what the Encyclopedia has to say on the Carolina, this starship was another example of a Daedalus-class ship in operation in the 2260s. This is more probable with the information from "Conspiracy" (where we have a starship with the registry NCC-42) and the Bozeman in operation in the 2370s.

From reading the comic, I know that Starfleet visited Phaedus in 2253. April's Enterprise could have come from this year, or in a year before this year. The jacket he was wearing was worn by Captain Pike in 2255. So, assuming that this jacket came with the uniform change, this might indicate that April served in Starfleet after 2233. So, the time span would 2233 to 2253.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 09:42 AM   #55
DaveyNY
Commodore
 
DaveyNY's Avatar
 
Location: DaveyNY
Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY
Re: [SPOILER?] to be in the film?

Franklin wrote: View Post
If NX-01 was retired in 2161, and in the ST09 universe, Kirk's Enterprise was launched in 2258 instead of 2245 (which is not on-screen canon for TOS, anyway), that leaves a gap of just under 100 years for another starship Enterprise to have existed.

Nothing about Robert April is canon by the on-screen test, anyway. But if you take his Memory Alpha birthdate of 2195, he could've become captain of a starship in the early 2230s. After that, it's conjecture upon conjecture. But if he captained a ship in the 2230s, it could've been a ship called, Enterprise.

There were only thirteen years between the decommissioning of the WWII aircraft carrier Enterprise and the construction of the new one. So if April's Enterprise met its fate in the mid-2240s in the ST09 universe (or was at least thought to), having a new ship named Enterprise just over a decade later isn't a big deal.

Further, having April command a ship called Enterprise, but it's not NCC-1701, would fit in with the slight twists in continuity between the two universes.

It could also be that if any of this does translate to the movie, and Weller is April, then it's possible his Enterprise still exists somehow, and that could be the ship we see crashing into SF Bay. (Let's just say in 2258, having April in his mid-60s would be about right by any timeline. Weller is in his mid-60s. Not that it means anything, just pointing that out.) The flyover and memorial we see in the trailer could be for April, who if he started a villain, somehow redeemed and sacrificed himself in the movie.
Wasn't it already said that Weller is playing Carol Marcus' Father?

That Nolan North fella in post #27, is IMO, a far likelier candidate to play April.
__________________
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 11:14 AM   #56
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: [SPOILER?] to be in the film?

daveyNY wrote: View Post
Wasn't it already said that Weller is playing Carol Marcus' Father?
No, that was just fan speculation.
__________________

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 03:53 PM   #57
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Police State
Re: [SPOILER?] to be in the film?

throwback wrote: View Post
Why would it wrong for Nero to discover dilithium deposits on Delta Vega? He was a civilian captain commanding a civilian ship.
Because it would be in Federation territory?
__________________
"Your advertising's just dandy. Folks'd never guess you ain't got a thing to sell."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 06:04 PM   #58
Marten
Captain
 
Location: Southern Sweden
Re: [SPOILER?] to be in the film?

Set Harth wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
Why would it wrong for Nero to discover dilithium deposits on Delta Vega? He was a civilian captain commanding a civilian ship.
Because it would be in Federation territory?
There could be a third Delta Vega!
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 09:57 PM   #59
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: [SPOILER?] to be in the film?

The Enterprise was mostly completed when we see her at the dockyards originally but somehow it still takes over 3 years to finish her even from what we see. So as of 2255 she was probably being built for a few years prior to that.

April could have been slated to be her Captain and present for much of the construction as Decker was for the refit 1701. Travel off world, many years for him to get into trouble, Pike takes over as his replacement, is the acting Captain of the vessel when the Vulcan emergency arises weeks before she's due to enter service.

Problem?
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 10:00 PM   #60
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: [SPOILER?] to be in the film?

I can't think of any…but I'm sure someone will find an objection. Just give it a little time.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.