Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 30 2013, 12:45 PM   #46
Metryq
Captain

Re: Need a good starter episode for a newbie

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
revealing that some ideas of Star Wars had been there first in TOS (even if the VFX, admittedly, didn't look that great).
And pretty much all of the ideas existed pre-STAR TREK, too. I would not be surprised if FORBIDDEN PLANET had strongly influenced Roddenberry.

"Balance of Terror" is the TOS version of THE ENEMY BELOW.

In an interview, Spinrad said "The Doomsday Machine" was MOBY DICK inspired, but I had always thought it was derived from Saberhagen's BERSERKER. And if you want super-weapons, the Disruptor from Edmond Hamilton's THE STAR KINGS (which is also very STAR WARS-like) can destroy "space itself."

TOS is a great show for any sci-fi fan, as many stories are based on popular novels and short stories. Many episodes were written by popular sci-fi writers. That STAR TREK succeeded so well outside the genre is a tribute to the synergy of all the threads that make it up.

Old January 30 2013, 05:34 PM   #47
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Metryq wrote: View Post
And pretty much all of the ideas existed pre-STAR TREK, too. I would not be surprised if FORBIDDEN PLANET had strongly influenced Roddenberry.
Apparently it did. Considering that the two Star Trek pilots dealt with mind power stories (not very original after FORBIDDEN PLANET) I'm relieved they got their act together and presented a solid and original Star Trek story with "The Corbomite Maneuver" highlighting the adventureous but also dangerous business of going where no man had gone before.

"Balance of Terror" is the TOS version of THE ENEMY BELOW.
Yes. Now was it Curd Jürgens or Hardy Krüger playing the German submarine captain ?

In an interview, Spinrad said "The Doomsday Machine" was MOBY DICK inspired.
Indeed, Commodore Decker displayed quite an Ahab Complex.
Much better though than what we saw with Khan in ST II (too derivative, IMHO, I would have expected more ingenuity from the "superior intellect" ).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 06:06 PM   #48
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I know the decision was made in August, but "Space Seed" is also a good choice. It was one of the earliest episodes released in VHS, to tie in with the video release of TWOK (there was even a trailer for the film).
Old January 30 2013, 06:52 PM   #49
Metryq
Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I would not be surprised if FORBIDDEN PLANET had strongly influenced Roddenberry.
Apparently it did.
Do you know of any documentation? I'm not doubting you—I made the suggestion myself. I was just wondering if any of the TREK books mention this definitively.

And while FORBIDDEN PLANET is Shakespeare's THE TEMPEST in space, SERENITY (the FIREFLY feature film) made several allusions to both:
  • C-57D is the registration number of the United Planets cruiser. We see the name number on the crashed "Research & Rescue" ship on Miranda. A smaller craft (shuttle?) with the number is also found on Miranda.
  • Miranda is the name of the "forbidden planet" in SERENITY, and also the name of Prospero's daughter in THE TEMPEST.
  • The crew of Serenity confront an "id monster" in the form of the Reavers.
One of the most TREK-like aspects of FORBIDDEN PLANET is the scene where engineer Quinn is telling the captain how difficult it will be to replace a certain piece of damaged equipment. Adams cuts the engineer short, "All right, it's impossible. How long will it take?"

"Scotty, I need warp speed in three minutes, or we're all dead."
Old January 30 2013, 08:00 PM   #50
MacLeod
Admiral

A good story can compensate for lacklustre effects, the reverse is not true however the best effects in the world can't compensate for a lacklustre story.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote