IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 29 2013, 03:59 PM   #16
SicOne
Commodore

Re: Barnes & Nobel shrinking

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Patrick O'Brien wrote: View Post
CaptainDonovin wrote: View Post
Just read that B&N is planning to thin the herd by closing up to a third of their stores over the next decade. I figured they'd do a little better since theyre the only game in town for large bookstores. I know the ones by me are usually busy when I visit. Even though I have an e-reader I still love going to the bookstore.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...of-stores.html
Agreed. I still enjoy going to the B&N/bookstore a few times a year too. Where will authors have book signings once they are all gone?
Libraries and Star Trek conventions?
Record stores. Preferably one with a soda fountain.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 10:32 PM   #17
shanejayell
Captain

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
When I travel to the U.S, I always make it a point to stop in whenever I find a B&N. I have picked up many a good book that I can't find here. I would not be surprised if the same thing happens here with our 'Chapters' chain.
I think CHapters could use some thinning, as they have two branches within blocks of each other where I live.

Hopefully not TOO much tho.

(Is anyone else annoyed how much the stores' floor space is now taken up by towels, nick nacks and household crap other than, you know, BOOKS?)
Old January 29 2013, 10:44 PM   #18
CaptPapa
Commander

veritech wrote: View Post
I always bemoan the closing of book stores, but I really have no right to. I buy almost exclusively through Amazon or SFBC.

I'm right with you on that. I whine about it being a sign of the times, but I quit buying at B&N years ago when they so drastically cut back on their Star Trek section (at both my local stores). I buy my new Star Trek books online from Walmart now at 25 to 30 percent below what B&N sells for.
Almost everything else I read, I buy at library book stores and sales, and pat myself on the back for getting such a good deal. So, I'm the bad guy of my own story . . . crap .
Old January 30 2013, 01:31 AM   #19
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Online, I'd be limited to books from any series that I currently know.
Why?

There are often recommendations from ST fans, right here, about great new and favourite authors and SF series. There are lots of ways to leave yourself open to trusted recommendations apart from casual browsing the shelves, although that's always fun.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 03:03 AM   #20
Reanok
Commodore

I like my Local Barnes &Noble I've ordered Startrek Novels from them and they've been really nice about ordering them for me.I've bought alot of great science fiction and Mystery books from their store.I don't want my local bookstore to go out business. It's the largest new book store in my town and and it's a very popular bookstore.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 03:38 AM   #21
JD
Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Online, I'd be limited to books from any series that I currently know.
Why?

There are often recommendations from ST fans, right here, about great new and favourite authors and SF series. There are lots of ways to leave yourself open to trusted recommendations apart from casual browsing the shelves, although that's always fun.
A lot of the sites, including Amazon and B&N's websites have similar books, and people who bought this also bought areas on the pages for individual books. That's how I've found several different books series that I'm reading.

As for B&N closing down stores, I really hope they don't close down the one near me. There are a couple others in town, but they're nowhere near as close as this one.
I actually buy pretty either as an e-book or at the Wal-Mart where I work. I own a Nook though, so I do go to the B&N store to get help whenever I have problems with it. I just hope the whole company doesn't go under, because I get pretty all of my e-books off their site.
Old January 30 2013, 04:22 AM   #22
comsol
Captain

I went to my local Waldenbooks store at least two or three times a month and loved looking through the shelves to find something that caught my eye (that's how I bought the majority of my books). The nearest Barnes & Nobel is the only bookstore in my area now and it is a bit out of my way, so my shopping there is often once in a blue moon. Still, the loss of it would be nothing short of disastrous for me because I would be limited to books that a few local grocery stores might carry, and they don't exactly have the best selection. Online, I'd be limited to books from any series that I currently know.
You could also go to your local library and find new titles there, and then if you like them you can then but copies at B&N or online - or try to find an independent bookstore to buy from. Now that can be a bit tricky depending on where you live considering the complexity of the various library systems in St. Louis, but it is a possibility.
Old January 30 2013, 04:31 AM   #23
CaptPapa
Commander

Upon further review, I'm thinking that by the end of the decade (assuming they mean 10 years and not just until 2020), that many more than one-third of their stores will be closed. I was thinking how things have changed in the book publishing/selling business in the last 10 years, and how technology speeds up development in a given area as time goes on and I have to wonder - will there be any book stores out there in ten years - will there be any printed books out there in ten years? I suppose it'll take longer than that, but that's certainly the direction we're headed. I'm one of those that are very reluctant to change, but I suppose when it comes right down to it, the most important thing is that we have books to read, whether it's in the form we've known all our lives, or if they are all, and only, electronic.
Old January 30 2013, 04:36 AM   #24
Christopher
Writer

^I think that the phrase "by the end of the decade" does generally mean "by the next year ending in 0." Consider it by analogy with "by the end of the century" -- which most everyone would interpret as meaning 2100 rather than exactly 100 years from now.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 04:51 AM   #25
CaptPapa
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I think that the phrase "by the end of the decade" does generally mean "by the next year ending in 0." Consider it by analogy with "by the end of the century" -- which most everyone would interpret as meaning 2100 rather than exactly 100 years from now.
Granted, but I didn't recall how the article was worded; whether it was by the end of the decade, or by the end of a decade. I opted to get the thought out of my brain and on paper, rather than stopping to check the source. Sometimes that leads to stepping in it, but I gotta balance that with the chance of losing the entire thought if I divert what little brain power is left away from what ever is the main focus of the moment.
Old January 30 2013, 04:53 AM   #26
Christopher
Writer

^Okay. The actual wording was "over the next decade," which would mean between now and 2023 after all.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 05:38 AM   #27
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Amazon has a browse feature. And I've found new books through other readers' listmania lists. I think that's how I found Prime Directive, which I just finished tonight. I wanted to start my foray into TOS lit with one thought of as the best.
Old January 30 2013, 05:46 AM   #28
jayceee
Commander

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
Almost everything else I read, I buy at library book stores and sales, and pat myself on the back for getting such a good deal.
I've been doing this too over the last few years. Sure beats paying retail, or even amazon prices.

Last edited by jayceee; January 30 2013 at 05:31 PM.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 06:33 AM   #29
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral

My nearest mall had a Waldenbooks and B. Dalton when I moved here 20 years ago. They were the only thing I went to the mall for. I bought most of my film/tv books and assorted magazines there. Then Walden closed, then B. Dalton, then one of the anchor stores left. Then Wal-Mart built a superstore there, but of course they don't sell the kinds of books I want. Then the rest of the anchors and most of the boutique chains disappeared. A CostCo also went in there, but I can't afford to step foot in the place since I don't have the money to blow on a membership.

There are some B&N (the initials remind me of railroads) stores here, but the closest one means at least a two hour excursion using public transportation and walking to the store roundtrip with a mobility handicap. I'd rather examine a book in person than just a few pages (if that) through the internet, so most of my book buying days are over.

There's no local bookstore in my neighborhood except Goodwill.

Last edited by Dr. Sevrin; January 30 2013 at 06:44 AM.
Dr. Sevrin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 05:12 PM   #30
CaptPapa
Commander

Melakon wrote: View Post
My nearest mall had a Waldenbooks and B. Dalton when I moved here 20 years ago. They were the only thing I went to the mall for. I bought most of my film/tv books and assorted magazines there. Then Walden closed, then B. Dalton, then one of the anchor stores left. Then Wal-Mart built a superstore there, but of course they don't sell the kinds of books I want. Then the rest of the anchors and most of the boutique chains disappeared. A CostCo also went in there, but I can't afford to step foot in the place since I don't have the money to blow on a membership.

There are some B&N (the initials remind me of railroads) stores here, but the closest one means at least a two hour excursion using public transportation and walking to the store roundtrip with a mobility handicap. I'd rather examine a book in person than just a few pages (if that) through the internet, so most of my book buying days are over.

There's no local bookstore in my neighborhood except Goodwill.
Do you have a library nearby? If so, they probably have a used book store there, and may have annual (or more frequent) book sales - for instance, mine has quarterly buck-a-bag sales, which I never miss. I find some incredible treasures there from time to time and for practically nothing.
Otherwise, you could always checkout books and sample them that way for possible future purchase. Our local branch is small, but hooked together with our county system and that of our neighboring county's, so I can reserve and have anything that the entire system has to offer sent to my local branch for pickup.