TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 30 2013, 12:35 AM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: David Bradley is William Hartnell...

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Doesn't BBCA run a lot of BBC programs they have no hand in making?
Sure, that's pretty much most of what they do. Last year's Copper was BBC America's first original dramatic production; before that, they just rebroadcast BBC productions, or at most BBC/BBCA co-productions such as Jekyll. (Although these days they rerun some American series like ST:TNG.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 12:54 AM   #17
StCoop
Commodore

And Brian Cox as Sydney Newman. (So is all the mian cast going to consist of people who were already in DW?)

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/0201-...space-and-time
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 01:05 AM   #18
diankra
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Doesn't BBCA run a lot of BBC programs they have no hand in making?
Sure, that's pretty much most of what they do. Last year's Copper was BBC America's first original dramatic production; before that, they just rebroadcast BBC productions, or at most BBC/BBCA co-productions such as Jekyll. (Although these days they rerun some American series like ST:TNG.)
Has BBCA run any of the previous BBC biopics (or 'Comedy is Misery', as they got nicknamed): The Curse of Steptoe (Phil Davis and Jason Isaacs as the two stars of Steptoe and Son), Fantabulosa (Michael Sheen as Kenneth Williams), Sooner You Than Me (David Walliams as Frankie Howerd), etc etc? Not that it would stop them taking the Who one if they didn't.

Anyway, can we start an internet meme of calling this 'The Real Anniversary Special'? Just to see how much it annoys BBC publicity...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 01:06 AM   #19
StCoop
Commodore

And the proper Press Release:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho...-of-Doctor-Who
Old January 30 2013, 01:42 AM   #20
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

diankra wrote: View Post
Has BBCA run any of the previous BBC biopics (or 'Comedy is Misery', as they got nicknamed): The Curse of Steptoe (Phil Davis and Jason Isaacs as the two stars of Steptoe and Son), Fantabulosa (Michael Sheen as Kenneth Williams), Sooner You Than Me (David Walliams as Frankie Howerd), etc etc? Not that it would stop them taking the Who one if they didn't.
In answer to your question, no, they haven't. One-off films like that, if they show up here at all, show up as direct-to-DVD features.

I could see BBC America picking this up because there's a marketing hook for it.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 02:03 AM   #21
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

StCoop wrote: View Post
And Brian Cox as Sydney Newman. (So is all the main cast going to consist of people who were already in DW?)

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/0201-...space-and-time
That seems to be the trend considering Jessica Raine, who will be portraying Verity Lambert, is going to guest star on Doctor Who when series 7 returns.

David Bradley is a great choice to portray William Hartnell as is Brian Cox.

I'm still crossing my fingers that William Russell and Carole Ann Ford will make a cameo appearance in it.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 02:35 AM   #22
StCoop
Commodore

Not that there was any real doubt:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglopheni...ctor-who-50th/
Old January 30 2013, 04:50 AM   #23
Orac
Admiral

No he isn't! I am! I'm William Hartnell! I'M WILLIAM HARTNELL!!!

VOTE | TOS Avatar Contest #62: Day of the Dove
Orac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 08:03 PM   #24
MacLeod
Admiral

Redfern wrote: View Post
I just hope BBC America airs this presentation.

(I suspect it will. Seems like it may doing more with DW this anniversary year than the BBC itself.)

Sincerely,

Bill
I suspect that the BBC will have a DW themed night, and perhaps as it gets closer to the actual anniversary to perhaps a story from each Doctor on BBC three.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 11:00 PM   #25
davejames
Vice Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post

Wouldn't it be interesting if he played Hartnell in the documentary and played the 1st Doctor in the anniversary special? Nice way to tie into itself! But, I'm getting ahead of myself there!
That would be pretty cool. And even better if Moffat took advantage of the same sets and had Smith's Doctor visiting the old console room as well.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 02:10 AM   #26
Iamnotspock
Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
I suspect that the BBC will have a DW themed night, and perhaps as it gets closer to the actual anniversary to perhaps a story from each Doctor on BBC three.
Probably, although I'd have thought BBC Two or Four would be better suited.

From this week's Radio Times; An Unearthly Child director Waris Hussein meets actor Sacha Dhawan, who'll be playing him in the drama.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 03:26 AM   #27
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
diankra wrote: View Post
In answer to your question, no, they haven't. One-off films like that, if they show up here at all, show up as direct-to-DVD features.

I could see BBC America picking this up because there's a marketing hook for it.
I don't think most of the BBC America audience would be familiar enough with the source material to find those films interesting.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2013, 09:00 AM   #28
Candlelight
Admiral

Wouldn't it be interesting if he played Hartnell in the documentary and played the 1st Doctor in the anniversary special? Nice way to tie into itself! But, I'm getting ahead of myself there!
Moffat isn't that smart to join the dots.
Old January 31 2013, 09:08 AM   #29
Saul
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Redfern wrote: View Post
I just hope BBC America airs this presentation.

(I suspect it will. Seems like it may doing more with DW this anniversary year than the BBC itself.)

Sincerely,

Bill
BBC haven't done a themed night for a long long time. I think they stopped doing those sorts of things. They were fun to watch, the Star Trek night, Red Dwarf night, Godzilla night.

Might be funny to stick a Police Box in the background of Eastenders.
Old January 31 2013, 09:18 AM   #30
Starkers
Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
Moffat isn't that smart to join the dots.
Seriously wouldn't it bother people seeing an actor playing another actor playing a character, then seeing the actor just playing the character? Never mind breaking the fourth wall that's smashing it down with a mechanical digger!
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote