Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 30 2013, 12:47 AM   #541
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
Star Trek fans have a stereotype of being nerds so JJ Abrams' mean-spirited "This isn't aimed at THOSE people!" remarks were just to make his product appear cooler and more mainstream.
And yet, you loved his first Star Trek movie:

Loved it, the core 3 were perfectly recast.
I was really not expecting the film to do this well, brilliant. Trek is back and bigger than ever!
But DalekJim was on drugs when he saw the movie and posted those comments!
Old January 30 2013, 12:50 AM   #542
panthers34343
Ensign

Franklin wrote: View Post
panthers34343 wrote: View Post

That's a really flawed way of looking at things. Why don't you count the people who watched Star Trek on television? It's like saying the NFL is more successful than MLB because more people watch on average the NFL games than the MLB games, leaving out the fact that MLB has vastly more games a season (162 vs 16).

I mean yes the NFL does make more money than MLB but the point is you framed it in a way that made it more one-sided than it is.

I'm sure Star Wars has made more money if you count everything (toys, tickets, books, etc) than Star Trek but doing a pure movie vs movie comparison is ridiculous.

Star Wars is primarily a movie franchise, Star Trek is more television.
Legion: Can someone get butthurt from penis envy? I didn't necessarily know so many Trek fans felt that way. Indeed, if it weren't for SW in 1977, we all may have gotten "Star Trek Phase II: The Entire Series", Special Edition, on Blu-Ray for Christmas. Oh, why can't we all just get along?

As far as the popularity of the NFL over MLB goes, panthers34343, poll after poll says NFL football is by far the favorite sport of Americans.
I wasn't disputing the fact that the NFL was more popular than Major League Baseball, I specifically said "Yes the NFL makes more money than MLB", what I was disputing was the methodology of just counting movie grosses when Trek is primarily a TV product.

The freaking joke called the NFL Pro Bowl draws more TV viewers than World Series games and the NBA Finals do.
Are you kidding? Where do you get this stuff from?

The recent Pro Bowl got 12.2 million viewers in one game,

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/29/39...3-ratings-down

The most recent NBA Finals got an average of 16.9 million viewers in five games.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-years/139086/

So that's 12.2 million view vs about 84.5 million views.

poll after poll says NFL football is by far the favorite sport of Americans. College football is second. Major League Baseball is a distant third, down there with the NBA.
By sheer revenue Major League Baseball is only 2 billion behind the NFL. 9 billion vs 7 billion

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-b...-sports-2011-3

So hey what does this have to do with Star Trek/Star Wars? Maybe the gap between the popularity of the two isn't as big as you'd think, and even if it was using movie tickets sales is a flawed way of determining it.

Last edited by panthers34343; January 30 2013 at 01:05 AM.
panthers34343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 12:50 AM   #543
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Star Trek fans have a stereotype of being nerds so JJ Abrams' mean-spirited "This isn't aimed at THOSE people!" remarks were just to make his product appear cooler and more mainstream.
And yet, you loved his first Star Trek movie:

I was really not expecting the film to do this well, brilliant. Trek is back and bigger than ever!
But DalekJim was on drugs when he saw the movie and posted those comments!
It must have been a magical experience.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 01:16 AM   #544
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

You Abrams lickers should totally restart the conversation that got the last one closed again. Wizard idea.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 01:20 AM   #545
BillJ
Admiral

You Abrams lickers should totally restart the conversation that got the last one closed again. Wizard idea.
Didn't restart the last one...

I'm pretty sure the comments Legion posted are from this forum.
Old January 30 2013, 01:21 AM   #546
panthers34343
Ensign

DarthTom wrote: View Post
This article on CNN I think pretty much sums up all of the angst about this. Has anyone monitored popular Wars posting sites? I bet they are going nuts as well. LOL

CNN

"In the annals of geek history, there's always been the argument: Which one is better, 'Star Wars' or 'Star Trek'? And until this point, we've never had a director sit down and do both of them," he says. "This is the first time, where we will literally have somebody who's played both sides of the field, and I think a lot of nerds and geeks are a little bit terrified of that."
JJ Abrams as the common denominator? NO thank you. The guy made technically made a Star Trek movie (with the title and characters whatever) but he didn't really make a real Star Trek movie. It didn't have a soul. As he himself said he made a Star Trek movie that he himself would want to watch, not something based on the appeal of the previous series.

The guy even admited he was at heart a Star Wars fan, and the theater is essentially Star Wars' homefield so the whole premise is deeply biased in favor of Star Wars.
panthers34343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 01:23 AM   #547
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The guy made technically made a Star Trek movie (with the title and characters and but he didn't really make a real Star Trek movie.
Yes he did. He made a great Star Trek movie.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 01:24 AM   #548
BillJ
Admiral

The guy even admited he was at heart a Star Wars fan, and the theater is essentially Star Wars' homefield so the whole premise is deeply biased in favor of Star Wars.
The beauty of the Trek format is that its flexible enough for all kinds of stories from many different creators.
Old January 30 2013, 01:26 AM   #549
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

I'd really rather that didn't happen, if it's all the same to you.

And no licking. Definitely no licking - J.J. Abrams or anyone else.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 01:29 AM   #550
BillJ
Admiral

I guess I still don't get it.

I'm pretty critical of parts of the film to this day, but I don't think it's the worst Trek by a long-shot. I also don't think it's the best.

But it's definitely Trek.
Old January 30 2013, 01:58 AM   #551
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post

That's a really flawed way of looking at things. Why don't you count the people who watched Star Trek on television? It's like saying the NFL is more successful than MLB because more people watch on average the NFL games than the MLB games, leaving out the fact that MLB has vastly more games a season (162 vs 16).

I mean yes the NFL does make more money than MLB but the point is you framed it in a way that made it more one-sided than it is.

I'm sure Star Wars has made more money if you count everything (toys, tickets, books, etc) than Star Trek but doing a pure movie vs movie comparison is ridiculous.

Star Wars is primarily a movie franchise, Star Trek is more television.
Legion: Can someone get butthurt from penis envy? I didn't necessarily know so many Trek fans felt that way. Indeed, if it weren't for SW in 1977, we all may have gotten "Star Trek Phase II: The Entire Series", Special Edition, on Blu-Ray for Christmas. Oh, why can't we all just get along?

As far as the popularity of the NFL over MLB goes, panthers34343, poll after poll says NFL football is by far the favorite sport of Americans.
I wasn't disputing the fact that the NFL was more popular than Major League Baseball, I specifically said "Yes the NFL makes more money than MLB", what I was disputing was the methodology of just counting movie grosses when Trek is primarily a TV product.

The freaking joke called the NFL Pro Bowl draws more TV viewers than World Series games and the NBA Finals do.
Are you kidding? Where do you get this stuff from?

The recent Pro Bowl got 12.2 million viewers in one game,

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/29/39...3-ratings-down

The most recent NBA Finals got an average of 16.9 million viewers in five games.

So that's 12.2 million view vs about 84.5 million views.

poll after poll says NFL football is by far the favorite sport of Americans. College football is second. Major League Baseball is a distant third, down there with the NBA.
By sheer revenue Major League Baseball is only 2 billion behind the NFL. 9 billion vs 7 billion

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-b...-sports-2011-3

So hey what does this have to do with Star Trek/Star Wars? Maybe the gap between the popularity of the two isn't as big as you'd think, and even if it was using movie tickets sales is a flawed way of determining it.
Well, NBA Finals ratings had been trending down before 2012. Pro Bowl ratings are down, too. Game-by-game over the years, the ratings are terribly close, however. And the Pro Bowl is a meaningless game. The NBA Finals are the capstone to the NBA season.

On topic, it's difficult to pin down a real number for the amount of revenue the entire Trek franchise has brought in since 1966. The consensus numbers are between $4 billion to $6 billion from all sources, but those are just educated guesses.

SW has brought in about $6 billion just in its movies, and in a February 10, 2012 story, "Forbes" reported that in 2007 the franchise had made $9 billion in revenue from toys to that point, and $1.6 billion from video games. In the same story, Lucas Licensing reported over $20 billion in revenue world-wide from consumer sales.

Both are popular and wildly successful and long-lived, but to continue a sports analogy, SW is the Yankees with an astonishing 27 World Series wins, and Trek is the Cardinals, with the second most World Series titles, at "only" 11.

It's an embarrassment of riches for all (SW, Trek, the Yankees, and the Cardinals), but if popularity is measured by fans' voting with the money out of their wallets over the years, SW wins hands down.

http://247wallst.com/2012/02/10/the-...n-and-growing/

Last edited by Franklin; January 30 2013 at 02:25 AM.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 04:03 AM   #552
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

No Orci and Kurtzman is why I'm optimistic. Most of the problems with Trek 09 are with the shitty script. The visual style irritates me a lot too at times but otherwise it's very cinematic and not too bad. Frankly, the writers of Transformers 2 have no interesting thoughts to ever offer me.
This is very true.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 04:07 AM   #553
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It's really not.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 06:49 AM   #554
Aragorn
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
The beauty of the Trek format is that its flexible enough for all kinds of stories from many different creators.
What message board are you on? Star Trek is supposed to be 100% rigidly in line with what one individual person who has nothing to do with Star Trek at any creative level believes Star Trek should be and can only be, and any deviation to such understanding makes it not Star Trek.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2013, 07:11 AM   #555
controlfreak
Commander

Abrams is the Nerd King of all of us.. Star Trek and Star Wars, and they'll both be worth watching!! Maybe a Trek vs. Wars film in the vein of AVP...I don't think Abrams is going to abandon the Trek franchise any time soon. He's only doing the one Star Wars for now. I like how everyone is freaking out, though.. I don't see why he can't do both. Wouldn't you want to do both if you could?