New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 29 2013, 04:00 PM   #511
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

panthers34343 wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
It would help if Trek fans would ever get over being butthurt about the fact that Star Wars has been, by far, the premier space science fiction franchise in the theaters since 1977. The least successful of the six Star Wars films made almost 100 million dollars more worldwide than the most successful Star Trek movie.

As far as people buying tickets to the movies are concerned, for over thirty years Star Trek has been in second place - and for most of that time a distant second.
That's a really flawed way of looking at things.
No.

Why don't you count the people who watched Star Trek on television?
Uh, because I'm talking about movies and said so, dude.

Some people are upset about Star Trek movies always being treated like they're second to Star Wars movies. The reason that's so is because Star Trek is second to Star Wars in terms of box office. You got that?

Jesus.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 04:29 PM   #512
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Some people are upset about Star Trek movies always being treated like they're second to Star Wars movies. The reason that's so is because Star Trek is second to Star Wars in terms of box office. You got that?

Jesus.
Star Wars has generated $22 billion over the past 30 years when you add all of the shit in together. Whereas Trek has made $4 billion. It's not even close.

Edited to add: Which begs the question why would Lucas sell the franchise to Disney for 18% of their generated profits over 30 years?

Star Wars' initial release was followed by another five blockbuster films and a mini-industry of tapes and DVDs, toys, videogames and books. Taken together over its 30 years of cultural dominance, the Star Wars franchise has earned more than $22 billion.
The original TV show started in 1966, and with 10 movies and four more TV series, lasted into the 21st century. Spock action figures and models of the Enterprise sold by Playmates Toys, Hasbro, and Hallmark have made the franchise $4 billion.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 04:32 PM   #513
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

DarthTom wrote: View Post

Jesus.
Star Wars has generated $22 billion over the past 30 years when you add all of the shit in together. Whereas Trek has made $4 billion. It's not even close.

Star Wars' initial release was followed by another five blockbuster films and a mini-industry of tapes and DVDs, toys, videogames and books. Taken together over its 30 years of cultural dominance, the Star Wars franchise has earned more than $22 billion.
The original TV show started in 1966, and with 10 movies and four more TV series, lasted into the 21st century. Spock action figures and models of the Enterprise sold by Playmates Toys, Hasbro, and Hallmark have made the franchise $4 billion.
Four billion is still good coin, but Star Wars is in another league.
Old January 29 2013, 04:38 PM   #514
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

Four billion is still good coin, but Star Wars is in another league.
Yea, I love this quote from the same article. Where Star Wars cleans up and Trek not so much is with the toys, DVD's and other shit. Lets face it, more people want a Han Solo action toy than a Captain Kirk one.

And that's just the start. Games and DVDs pull in more money, but the Jedi toys really rake in the bucks. Forbes estimates that those little Chewbaccas and tie fighters have made about $9 billion.
Han Solo was right -- hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster. Especially when it's made by Hasbro and sells for $19.99.
Old January 29 2013, 04:49 PM   #515
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

I prefer Star Trek quite a bit to Star Wars (still enjoy the latter, just not as much as the former) but on the toy front, there are way more cool ships in Star Wars than in Trek to catch the eye of my seven year old son, for instance (he's never seen Star Wars and only one episode of TOS, but he's scarily knowledgeable about Star Wars ships--way more than his old man).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 06:08 PM   #516
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Star Trek has nothing to be ashamed of. It's a successful, popular series that's been going strong for nearly fifty years now, and inspired a passionate fan following. That's nothing to sneeze at. Most series would be thrilled to be half as popular as Star Trek is. I'm proud to have been a Trekkie my entire life.

But, when it comes to mass popularity, Star Wars is on a whole other level and always has been, especially where young kids are concerned. That's not a value judgement; it's just a matter of fact. You can buy Yoda bedsheets and lunchboxes at Wal-Mart. He's like Mickey Mouse.
Old January 29 2013, 06:12 PM   #517
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Just look at most of the Star Trek toy lines over the decades. With the exception of the Mego action figures with fabric clothing that were released before Star Wars first hit theaters the Trek lines have paled and suffered in comparison to the toys and collectibles associated with the six live action SW films and their numerous spinoffs. The Playmates action figures of the nineties and 00's were a noble effort to mainstream Trek toys and lay claim to a chunk of the market, but for the most part they were unsold and unloved except by die-hard Trekkers who wanted plastic representations of their favorite characters.

Star Wars toys are bought in legions by kids who know nothing of the Saga other than Darth Vader, Ahsoka Tano and Jar Jar Binks...not necessarily in that order. The marketing by Lucasfilm outstrips Paramount's handling of Trek by light years.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 06:21 PM   #518
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Just look at most of the Star Trek toy lines over the decades. With the exception of the Mego action figures with fabric clothing that were released before Star Wars first hit theaters the Trek lines have paled and suffered in comparison to the toys and collectibles associated with the six live action SW films and their numerous spinoffs. The Playmates action figures of the nineties and 00's were a noble effort to mainstream Trek toys and lay claim to a chunk of the market, but for the most part they were unsold and unloved except by die-hard Trekkers who wanted plastic representations of their favorite characters.
Exactly. Star Wars unlike Trek has characters that appeal to younger children who are the primary consumers of action figures. I don't know any children who desired the Trek action figures even after the huge commercial success of the last film. Whereas as someone said up-thread children still want a Yoda lunch box.

And to paraphrase Mel Brooks in Space Balls - 'the real money is in the merchandizing.'
Old January 29 2013, 06:29 PM   #519
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Speaking of Star Wars toys (and if anyone's interested), here's the just-revealed line of 6" action figures that will start hitting stores later this year. I have to give Hasbro credit....this thing looks remarkably like Mark Hamill in Episode IV.

Not too bad.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 06:32 PM   #520
BillJ
Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Exactly. Star Wars unlike Trek has characters that appeal to younger children who are the primary consumers of action figures. I don't know any children who desired the Trek action figures even after the huge commercial success of the last film. Whereas as someone said up-thread children still want a Yoda lunch box.

And to paraphrase Mel Brooks in Space Balls - 'the real money is in the merchandizing.'
I think variation in theme plays a big part as well as the fact that Star Wars is more akin to cowboys and indians. Much easier for kids to get into.

Back to variation of theme... we have basically four or five Picard figures that essentially all look alike (early TNG, late TNG, TNG jacket and First Contact). With just vague changes in the color scheme. Most of the ships are also just variation on a theme. Star Wars just destroys Trek on this front.
Old January 29 2013, 06:35 PM   #521
Franklin
Rear Admiral

I may be dichotomizing this too much, but compared to "Star Wars", what is there in "Star Trek" to attract kids? Kathryn Janeway coffee mugs? Spock sheets?
Especially if a kid knows nothing of either franchise, is a six year-old more likely to be attracted to a Spock action figure in the toy aisle, or a C3PO one? What nine year-old is going to want a McCoy doll over a Wookie or R2D2? Which character looks more swash-buckling to a kid, Kirk in uniform holding a phaser, or Hans Solo dressed as a Jedi Knight wielding a light saber? Which would be cooler to a kid, being Darth Vader on Halloween or being a Klingon?

Comparatively, "Star Wars" is the strange, new world, with new life and new civilizations that "Star Trek" is always supposedly seeking out. "Star Trek" is us. Its world is familiar. It also has to make some sense. SW is totally alien, and doesn't want to be familiar to anyone (after all, it takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away), and it therefore has more weird and cool things that don't even have to make sense. The weirder and cooler the better.
Old January 29 2013, 06:37 PM   #522
BillJ
Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
The weirder and cooler the better.
Agreed. I think Trek lost this when it became a "franchise".
Old January 29 2013, 06:38 PM   #523
lurok
Commodore

if I collected, wouldn't mind this

lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 06:43 PM   #524
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I think variation in theme plays a big part as well as the fact that Star Wars is more akin to cowboys and indians. Much easier for kids to get into.
I'm hoping that Abrams can give Star Wars more depth than it's had before in terms of a plot and quite frankly finding some actors who actually are good at their craft while not losing the child appeal that the series has had.

One thing I think JK Rowling did brilliantly with the Potter series is that she deepened and darkened the story without IMO making it less appealing to children. In so doing it broadened the fan base.
Old January 29 2013, 06:57 PM   #525
Jeyl
Commodore

Speaking of Star Wars toys (and if anyone's interested), here's the just-revealed line of 6" action figures that will start hitting stores later this year. I have to give Hasbro credit....this thing looks remarkably like Mark Hamill in Episode IV.
Geezos cripes. Comparing that to Playmates' line of figures for JJ's Star Trek, it's almost Hot Toys quality in comparison.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote