RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,685
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 926
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old January 29 2013, 06:25 AM   #31
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Re: NuTrek spinoff series: you're the producer

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

You won't see it again period. When Abrams moves on, we'll simply get another reboot.
Well, I'm keeping the dream alive .

There's a single English word that covers this: "denial."
I'd call it hope, as I would much rather see a Trek series return to the real universe as well.
Old January 29 2013, 06:50 AM   #32
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
I'd call it hope, as I would much rather see a Trek series return to the real universe as well.
Then you're lucky, because a new Star Trek movie will be released in the real universe in a couple of months.
Old January 29 2013, 06:50 AM   #33
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

"Real".
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 10:24 AM   #34
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

"Real" universe as opposed to "alternate" universe. I see Real and Prime as interchangable, since they are both one and the same.
Old January 29 2013, 10:57 AM   #35
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

"Real" universe as opposed to "alternate" universe. I see Real and Prime as interchangable, since they are both one and the same.
I'm sure you understand that the word "real" is intrinsically problematic when talking about fictional universes. The old Trek universe is exactly as "real" as the current Trek universe, i.e. not at all.
Old January 29 2013, 01:00 PM   #36
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I'm sure you understand that the word "real" is intrinsically problematic when talking about fictional universes. The old Trek universe is exactly as "real" as the current Trek universe, i.e. not at all.
True. But I'm sure everyone knows its fictional (sorry to break the news if you didn't ), so to me the Prime Universe is the "real" one--within the context of Star Trek being a fictional TV/film franchise.

Anyways, this could make in interestic topic of its own but not here, so lets get back on topic.
Old January 29 2013, 05:44 PM   #37
R. Star
Rear Admiral

This would be the pilot:

Followed by

All rights to the great General Grin who is my co-producer.
Old January 31 2013, 04:53 PM   #38
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Neither is more real than the other.

Abrams and Paramount call the old continuity "Prime" pretty much to flatter the old fans.

It's simpler and more accurate to call the two versions "old" and "new."

They're not going back to the old. That defeats their purpose in restarting Star Trek.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 01:43 AM   #39
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Whether it's an alternate timeline, alternater universe or whatever you want to call it the Abrams Star Trek exists in the ST universe. Where else would it be...the Babylon 5 'verse? Duh. it's still Star Trek.
Old February 4 2013, 01:45 PM   #40
Dix
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would much rather see a Trek series return to the real universe as well.
I think the great of majority of viewers as well as Trek fans would want that. I don't think people would be interested in following the adventures of a crew in some fake "alternate" universe.

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Whether it's an alternate timeline, alternater universe or whatever you want to call it the Abrams Star Trek exists in the ST universe. Where else would it be...the Babylon 5 'verse? Duh. it's still Star Trek.
Actually, it's an alternate timeline in an alternate universe. They also call it Abramsverse.
Dix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 01:59 PM   #41
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Dix wrote: View Post
I think the great of majority of viewers as well as Trek fans would want that. I don't think people would be interested in following the adventures of a crew in some fake "alternate" universe.
I can prove that you're wrong. With, you know, graphs.
Old February 4 2013, 02:47 PM   #42
Dix
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can prove that you're wrong. With, you know, graphs.
I'm sure you can, with some fake graph. But people generally agree, as far as I'm aware, that a new Trek series should be set in the original continuity future. I also think that would be the best way for a new Trek show to proceed. Star Trek's about the future, after all.
Old February 4 2013, 03:01 PM   #43
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

New show, new ship, new crew, original timeline. It's the best way to go, as long as we have writers with original voices that think outside the well worn out Berman/Braga formula.

Not setting a Star Trek show in the Star Trek universe is just fucking stupid.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 05:45 PM   #44
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

I'm sure you can, with some fake graph. But people generally agree, as far as I'm aware, that a new Trek series should be set in the original continuity future. I also think that would be the best way for a new Trek show to proceed. Star Trek's about the future, after all.
Damn. My fake graphs plot has been unraveled.

Alright. No graphs. The old Star Trek continuity lives on in books, and that's all. It's never ever going back on television. From now on it's either the current continuity, the one which originated in Star Trek, or another reboot. Hollywood will not abandon something that works (back-to-basics Trek) in favor of something which has run its course and has been cancelled (old Trek).

Star Trek is, after all, about the future.
Old February 4 2013, 07:18 PM   #45
Dix
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The old Star Trek continuity lives on in books, and that's all. It's never ever going back on television. From now on it's either the current continuity, the one which originated in Star Trek, or another reboot. Hollywood will not abandon something that works (back-to-basics Trek) in favor of something which has run its course and has been cancelled (old Trek).
It's not "old" continuity, it's the continuity. The one and only in Trek. One cancelled Trek show doesn't mean the end of that original continuity, which, after all, is where Star Trek shows and films were set during their 40+ years existence. AbramsTrek does not represent any norm or standard for Trek. It's one thing to make a summer popcorn flick for the masses, and it's a completely another thing to make a permanent TV show. Yes, the original Trek continuity also lives on in books etc., but it will certainly continue in a new Trek show once it's made in the future. But first we have to say au revoir to Abr-Kur-Orc.