Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 29 2013, 08:26 AM   #61
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane
Re: How to know when you're too old for your clothes

teacake wrote: View Post
People are not nearly as unthinking as is assumed.
Strange... in my experience the opposite is true...
Old January 29 2013, 08:47 AM   #62
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

I am not sure if I can explain that. It's difficult enough to explain feelings in one's native tongue, but in a foreign language..
What I mean is: it's ok if they draw it on their body where others don't see it (unless they especially desire it). However, most of the times tatoos are plain ugly and you'd really prefer not to see them. Yet if they are displayed in plain sight you can't avoid seeing them - you are practically being forced to do something you dislike. The feeling of being forced against your will makes you aggressive and angry and you'll dislike the tatoos even more.

Oh dear - I really express myself quite poorly. My point is that I would prefer to have a choice. I don't want to have no alternative to looking at bad tatoos. People who don't cover their tatoos violate other people's rights to not be offended esthetically.

Plus, people covered in really bad tatoos always remind me of old school tables, daubed with scribbles, doodles etc.
Old January 29 2013, 08:51 AM   #63
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
I am not sure if I can explain that. It's difficult enough to explain feelings in one's native tongue, but in a foreign language..
What I mean is: it's ok if they draw it on their body where others don't see it (unless they especially desire it). However, most of the times tatoos are plain ugly and you'd really prefer not to see them. Yet if they are displayed in plain sight you can't avoid seeing them - you are practically being forced to do something you dislike. The feeling of being forced against your will makes you aggressive and angry and you'll dislike the tatoos even more.

Oh dear - I really express myself quite poorly. My point is that I would prefer to have a choice. I don't want to have no alternative to looking at bad tatoos. People who don't cover their tatoos violate other people's rights to not be offended esthetically.

Plus, people covered in really bad tatoos always remind me of old school tables, daubed with scribbles, doodles etc.
I think you're doing quite well explanatory-wise; And tattoos are a bit like nudity: There's a place for that sort; a bedroom or a beach I'd say.

Dang! -I just made an enemy of 90% of the posters on this board with that sentence
Old January 29 2013, 08:53 AM   #64
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Well that's a whole new level of entitlement I've not come across before.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 10:06 AM   #65
RoJoHen
Awesome

teacake wrote: View Post

Well that's a whole new level of entitlement I've not come across before.
No kidding. I didn't realize people found tattoos so offensive. Maybe I just know a lot of people with tattoos, but I honestly get surprised when I don't see a visible tattoo on somebody these days.
Old January 29 2013, 02:37 PM   #66
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral

People who don't cover their tatoos violate other people's rights to not be offended esthetically.
Wow.

By that logic, I have a right "to not be offended esthetically" by my friend's ugly sweater. Or by my neighbor's strange choice of color for his front door.

Nope, doesn't work that way.
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 03:27 PM   #67
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

precisely. I was taught as a kid that your own rights end where other people's right starts and that you should not molest others or make them feel uncomfortable. Some colours can indeed be an offense. If you need sunglasses to avoid damage to your eyes when passing your neighbour's neon-yellow door, you can request that next time he paints his door he might perhaps consider a less exotic shade. In extreme cases you'd stand good chances at court if you'd sue him for causing you physical and emotional harm.

I think trekkiedane's comparism with nudity is very apt. Some people like to look at it, others don't. It sure depends on both the displayed body and the watcher's personal attitude toward nudity. But almost all countries have laws that forbid nudity in public or at least restrict it to certain areas. Doubtlessly, that's not out of concern for nekkid people to catch a cold but rather in order to spare people the view. If they'd like to see someone naked they can do so any time, privately at home.
Much the same goes for tattoos in my opinion. They are something not everyone wants to see and that should therefore be looked at privately, but not be forced upon all the world. Besides, which medium could be more private than one's skin?
Old January 29 2013, 03:51 PM   #68
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I think that's a bit of an extreme attitude. Sure there are tattoos I'd rather not look at, but there are also people I'd rather not look at. You know what I do in those cases? I don't look.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 09:02 PM   #69
Kestra
Vice Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I think that's a bit of an extreme attitude. Sure there are tattoos I'd rather not look at, but there are also people I'd rather not look at. You know what I do in those cases? I don't look.
Yeah, I don't like that attitude either. Everyone is not going to be aesthetically pleasing, tattoos or not. I mean I know when I don't wear makeup, I'm not a pretty sight. But fuck it, people don't have to look at me. I'm not forcing anything horrible on anyone else and neither is anyone with tattoos. Nudity is kind of a weird situation because that's so tied into our prudishness as a society.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 10:15 PM   #70
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

no, there's a difference. Peaple are like they are, by nature and nobody is completely unattractive but everyone has something that's really pretty.
But painting pictures on the skin is not at all natural and only seldom pretty.
Old January 29 2013, 10:20 PM   #71
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

In your opinion. There are a lot of people out there who would disagree with you.
Old January 29 2013, 10:21 PM   #72
Kestra
Vice Admiral

no, there's a difference. Peaple are like they are, by nature and nobody is completely unattractive but everyone has something that's really pretty.
But painting pictures on the skin is not at all natural and only seldom pretty.
The nature and natural thing doesn't make any sense to me because just because something is natural doesn't mean that it's beautiful. Nature makes some really ugly things. And in regards to tattoos or "painting on the skin," I don't have much of an opinion either way about whether it's pretty or not. What I object to is the broader notion that someone should have to cover up something that you personally find unattractive.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 10:25 PM   #73
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Kestra wrote: View Post
What I object to is the broader notion that someone should have to cover up something that you personally find unattractive.
Exactly.
Old January 29 2013, 10:33 PM   #74
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Ok, I think I didn't manage to describe precisely what I mean.
Let me give you an example:

That's the kind of tattoo I meant when I said some should really better be covered in order to spare others the view.

That's one of the cases where I think nature would in any case be a good deal better than the painted skin.
(and the guy even has pretty eyes! What a shame he ruined every chance of them getting noticed by a nice girl )

A tattoo like this I consider non-offensive because it's well done, esthetically pleasing and unobtrusive:
Old January 29 2013, 10:35 PM   #75
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

He may look like an idiot but it should still be his right to do it no matter how uncomfortable it makes you feel.