Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 29 2013, 03:57 AM   #46
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Re: Sci-Fi TV Shows that you're pretty sure only you watched.

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
^No you weren't! I loved that Show!

I think I'm the only one who watched John Doe though...
I loved Journeyman too. It filled some of the whole left by Quantum Leap--my favorite laugh was when he landed on a plane in the seventies.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 03:59 AM   #47
Christopher
Writer

If we're talking about SF pilots we remember, I still have a tape of a pilot called Project: Tin Man with Catherine Mary Stewart. It was a pretty similar idea to Roddenberry's The Questor Tapes, or maybe Short Circuit -- prototype military android develops emotions and conscience, goes on run from military, sets up Fugitive-type scenario. Sounds lame and formulaic, but I remember it being pretty good.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 04:06 AM   #48
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Did anybody mention The Powers of Matthew Star or The Misfits of Science?
Old January 29 2013, 04:06 AM   #49
sojourner
Admiral

Mann and Machine.
Old January 29 2013, 04:10 AM   #50
theenglish
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Mann and Machine.
Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E.
Old January 29 2013, 04:15 AM   #51
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Cliffhangers.
Old January 29 2013, 04:19 AM   #52
freakishdane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to freakishdane

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Ah, it was "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun" and his character was named Glenn. Damn, that was a good movie.
Or Doppelgänger as the original title is, but how could you forget a Jerry Anderson production? -That's what I want to know!
Old January 29 2013, 04:20 AM   #53
DeepSpaceWine
Commander

Earth: Final Conflict. All 5 seasons. In 2001, I felt I couldn't endure two horrendously bad seasons of sci-fi shows and had to choose between X-Files and Earth: Final Conflict. I felt EFC Season 5 would have been less bad.
(Anyone watch both X-Files Season 9 & Earth Final Conflict Season 5 back in 01-02? There should be some kind of medal for that. I'd like to hear opinions on which was worse)

Conan the Barbarian. The live-action tv show. Saw the 1992-94 cartoon series too (the syndicated one. Never saw the CBS one). That was a great, highly underrated cartoon. Best fantasy genre cartoon that side of Avatar: The Last Airbender. The live-action series was BAD. Liked the midget from Seinfeld though.

Brimstone. Great show. Probably the one-season show I wished most wasn't cancelled.

The Adventures of Sinbad. Seems like no one remembers it. Really liked the cast. Maeve > Bryn, though having seen Bryn's IMDB pics, she's gotten better with age.

Cleopatra 2525. Jennifer Sky was eye-catching in that outfit, but the series wasn't worth losing Amarice in Xena as the new sidekick. With her on the show as originally intended, maybe they wouldn't have needed so many comedies to cover for the action-limited Xena: Pregnant Princess, which would have averted several of the worst episodes in the series.

The Jack of All Trades.

The Outer Limits (II). On Showtime. Even to 2000. And then on Sci-Fi Channel. How many subscribed back to Showtime then to see Stargate SG-1, The Outer Limits, and The Legacy?

Poltergeist: The Legacy. On Showtime & Sci-Fi Channel.

Woops. Famously bad nuclear apocalypse sitcom on Fox.

Roar. Starred Heath Ledger before anybody had ever heard of him.

Timecop. On ABC.

Nowhere Man. Good UPN mystery/thriller.

The Burning Zone.

Harsh Realm.

Dark Skies. Forgotten original companion series to The Pretender & Profiler on NBC Saturday nights. X-Files-esque conspiracy series intended to last 5 years set in a different decade each season from the 1960s- 2000s.

Sleepwalkers. Yes, I actually saw the only 2 episodes it aired nationally before being yanked.

Deadly Games. Man fights bosses from a video game he created, all of whom were based on people he hated. The main villain was Christopher Lloyd.

And, not sci-fi, but The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer, considered the worst series ever made by UPN.

I didn't watch First Wave, Tremor: The Series, Black Scorpion, The Lone Gunmen, Freakylinks, 7 Days, Prey, Dinotopia, Highlander: The Raven, or Tracker though.
DeepSpaceWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 04:24 AM   #54
diankra
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
If we're talking about SF pilots we remember, I still have a tape of a pilot called Project: Tin Man with Catherine Mary Stewart.
I like it already! :-)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 04:27 AM   #55
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Re: The 90's Outer Limits...I only saw the one with Wil Wheaton, but remember it as being quite good.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 04:30 AM   #56
diankra
Commodore

DeepSpaceWine wrote: View Post
Dark Skies. Forgotten original companion series to The Pretender & Profiler on NBC Saturday nights. X-Files-esque conspiracy series intended to last 5 years set in a different decade each season from the 1960s- 2000s.
A great pity that got cancelled: I believe it went in part because it was an entirely bought-in show, whereas Pretender and Profiler were both made by NBC subsidiaries.

It's a great pity Dark Skies didn't get its five year run, as the plan was that about halfway through season four, in December 1999, the series's 'setting' would overtake reality (IYSWIM), with an episode set on New Years Eve 1999 where the whole conspiracy angle would be exposed to the world.
The remaining season and a half would have then carried on from 2000 through to 2013.. as already seen in flash forwards in the one season we did get.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 04:33 AM   #57
freakishdane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to freakishdane

Earth: Final Conflict. All 5 seasons. In 2001, I felt I couldn't endure two horrendously bad seasons of sci-fi shows and had to choose between X-Files and Earth: Final Conflict. I felt EFC Season 5 would have been less bad.
(Anyone watch both X-Files Season 9 & Earth Final Conflict Season 5 back in 01-02? There should be some kind of medal for that. I'd like to hear opinions on which was worse)
They didn't conflict around here (but then, we usually got the episodes a few years later anyway ) so I was able to follow both, which I did. Don't remember a lot of X-Files last season though...

Not at all forgotten! -Loved it (despite the horrendous visual effects) and would have been hanging on...

War of the Worlds - "Humanity must resume its war against the Martians after they revive after decades of hibernation after their defeat in the 1950's." -I never cared enough to watch it all.
Old January 29 2013, 04:42 AM   #58
Christopher
Writer

Roar. Starred Heath Ledger before anybody had ever heard of him.
I have that whole series on VHS. I keep meaning to transfer it to DVD.

Nowhere Man. Good UPN mystery/thriller.
Didn't care for it. It would've made a great miniseries or movie, but as a weekly ongoing series, it just didn't work. It was trying to do a paranoid thing like The Prisoner, but out in the real world Fugitive-style, with the lead on the run and moving from place to place -- so it pretty much required 99% of the population of the United States to be participating in the sooper-seekrit conspiracy against this one guy. Not to mention that the lead's paranoia always failed him at just the right moments to get him into trouble.

Deadly Games. Man fights bosses from a video game he created, all of whom were based on people he hated. The main villain was Christopher Lloyd.
Oh yeah, I remember that. Cynthia Gibb was in that. And Leonard Nimoy executive-produced it.

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
War of the Worlds - "Humanity must resume its war against the Martians after they revive after decades of hibernation after their defeat in the 1950's." -I never cared enough to watch it all.
The first time around, I kind of liked the first season of that, mainly because of the cast and their good chemistry, though the second season was atrocious. But recently I rewatched the first season on DVD -- and it was mostly awful. I reviewed it on my blog if anyone's interested.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 04:43 AM   #59
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Re: The 90's Outer Limits...I only saw the one with Wil Wheaton, but remember it as being quite good.
That was a pretty popular series, well rated for cable and got a lot of awards and accolades, didnt feel forgotten to me really.
Old January 29 2013, 04:44 AM   #60
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
If we're talking about SF pilots we remember, I still have a tape of a pilot called Project: Tin Man with Catherine Mary Stewart. It was a pretty similar idea to Roddenberry's The Questor Tapes, or maybe Short Circuit -- prototype military android develops emotions and conscience, goes on run from military, sets up Fugitive-type scenario. Sounds lame and formulaic, but I remember it being pretty good.

I saw Project:Tin Man...did you see The Bakery?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1136605/