Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 29 2013, 03:41 AM   #46
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Re: 30 Rock: Final Season (Discussion, spoilers, etc.)

I've watched every episode of the show, but honestly I've always felt rather lukewarm about it. I think the reason is that so many of the jokes derive from contemporary pop culture references, a great deal of which I don't pay attention to / give a damn about, so a lot of it just flies right past me. Half the time a celebrity appears playing themselves, I have no clue who they are. 30 Rock is a show that is NOT going to age well. Mostly, I'm just glad it's ending so we have Community back on the air next week.
Old January 31 2013, 06:45 AM   #47
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
I've watched every episode of the show, but honestly I've always felt rather lukewarm about it. I think the reason is that so many of the jokes derive from contemporary pop culture references, a great deal of which I don't pay attention to / give a damn about, so a lot of it just flies right past me. Half the time a celebrity appears playing themselves, I have no clue who they are. 30 Rock is a show that is NOT going to age well. Mostly, I'm just glad it's ending so we have Community back on the air next week.
I'm not sure if you like or watch Farscape, bu that seemed to have more pop culture references than 30 Rock did and I think FS has aged really well. If there's a show that doesn't have the replay value, I would think, it would be Family guy.
Old February 1 2013, 07:01 AM   #48
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I'm satisfied with that ending. The last bit with Kenneth and Liz's granddaughter was perfect.

Everyone got some attention, and everyone seemed to have a happy ending.

Except Pete.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 07:35 AM   #49
FFunctionalData
Lieutenant Commander

What a great finale. I watched 30 Rock from the beginning and I must say the show has been consistent with the laughs all the way through it's 7 seasons.

Now i will have a sandwich from Blimpies.
FFunctionalData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 01:33 PM   #50
Beagleman
Captain

Very satisfying finale, perfect ending for a great show.
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 04:15 PM   #51

"I'm going to crush this problem...with my ASS."

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old February 2 2013, 03:48 AM   #52
the G-man
Commodore

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Evil Twin wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if you like or watch Farscape, bu that seemed to have more pop culture references than 30 Rock did and I think FS has aged really well. If there's a show that doesn't have the replay value, I would think, it would be Family guy.
And, yet, Family Guy seems to do very, very, well in rerurns so go figure.

As far as shows that didn't age well due to current references, I'd have to go with "Murphy Brown." Jokes about long out of office politicians don't hold up well in reruns.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 05:17 AM   #53
the G-man
Commodore

I thought the finale was okay but, to be honest I do think last weeks episode would've been a better finale.
Old February 2 2013, 05:30 AM   #54
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

I can't recall a pure comedy tv show ever making me cry...but I *am* a big baby.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 12:28 PM   #55
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

It was terrific. I've watched the show's entire run and it's always made me laugh. The comedy was smartly written, and the dynamic between Jack and Liz was pitch perfect. The dynamic between Tracy and Jenna was hilarious, too.

Of course, I may miss Dr. Leo Spaceman most of all.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 09:08 PM   #56
FFunctionalData
Lieutenant Commander

J. Allen wrote: View Post
It was terrific. I've watched the show's entire run and it's always made me laugh. The comedy was smartly written, and the dynamic between Jack and Liz was pitch perfect. The dynamic between Tracy and Jenna was hilarious, too.

Dr. Space Man!
FFunctionalData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 09:25 PM   #57
J.T.B.
Commodore

As far as "special" 30 Rocks go, I thought the 100th and the live broadcasts were funnier. Still, it was a good episode and tied things up. I wouldn't have minded Hazel and Paul L'Astname appearing in the finale, but there was a lot going on.

The writing was about the best around. It did have some pop culture references, but it had to have some of that to satirize the entertainment business. SCTV and The Larry Sanders show did the same thing, and they are regarded as classics.

More importantly, the jokes generally didn't depend on getting the reference. Most of the humor came from its kind of bizarre worldview and very strongly defined characters. Probably my favorite comedy character ensemble since King of the Hill. I too will really miss this show.

Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2013, 09:44 PM   #58

FFunctionalData wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post

Dr. Space Man!
I loved Dr. Spaceman. He always had great lines.

"I've always said humans need more animal blood. It keeps the spine straight."
Old February 2 2013, 10:12 PM   #59
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Good riddance. Fey was nowhere near as clever as she thought she was, and her cleavage only got her so far.
Old February 2 2013, 10:43 PM   #60
the G-man
Commodore

the G-man wrote: View Post
This past episode actually felt like a series finale. Until I saw the preview for next week I started to think I'd just watched the final episode.
the G-man wrote: View Post
I thought the finale was okay but, to be honest I do think last weeks episode would've been a better finale.
I was thinking...

This is a show that has always prided itself on being "meta."

One of the plot points of the finale was that they were unexpectedly called back to do one more episode of TGS.

Is is possible that the second to last episode was, in fact, written as the series finale and then they were called back and/or allowed to do one more episode as the finale?