RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 392
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 29 2013, 01:38 AM   #31
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Sci-Fi TV Shows that you're pretty sure only you watched.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Anyone else remember the Martin Kove series Hard Time on Planet Earth?
Yup It's what most scifi was like before STNG...cheap and tongue in cheek. Unfortunately it aired around the same time as STNG's second season.
Old January 29 2013, 01:43 AM   #32
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
The Phoenix-Ancient Aliens inspired series. Judson Scott was in it, and it lasted about as long as a gamer's attention span.
Believe it or not, I once attended a convention that was pretty much entirely devoted to that show. The art show was full of amateur drawings and paintings of Judson Scott, the dealer's room was full of xeroxed "Phoenix" fanfic, etc.

And Judson Scott was the Guest of Honor, of course.

In my experience, no show is so obscure that it doesn't have some sort of fan following. Once, just to be polite, I made the mistake of signing a petition to bring back the short-lived STARMAN tv series and found myself on a STARMAN mailing list for years thereafter . . . .
Old January 29 2013, 01:46 AM   #33
stj
Rear Admiral

The already forgotten Alphas...
The unfairly forgotten Sanctuary...
Earth: The Final Conflict, seasons two through three...
Threshold...
FlashForward...
The 4400...
Miracles...
Brimstone...
Strange Luck...
Old January 29 2013, 01:52 AM   #34
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
The Phoenix-Ancient Aliens inspired series. Judson Scott was in it, and it lasted about as long as a gamer's attention span.
Believe it or not, I once attended a convention that was pretty much entirely devoted to that show. The art show was full of amateur drawings and paintings of Judson Scott, the dealer's room was full of xeroxed "Phoenix" fanfic, etc.

And Judson Scott was the Guest of Honor, of course.

In my experience, no show is so obscure that it doesn't have some sort of fan following. Once, just to be polite, I made the mistake of signing a petition to bring back the short-lived STARMAN tv series and found myself on a STARMAN mailing list for years thereafter . . . .
Wow. I was 11 or 12 when it was on and my sister and I were mesmerized by Judson Scott. When I saw Judson Scott in STII a few years later on tv I thought it was the Phoenix who reached home!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SASk...&feature=share

That looks kinda cheap and cool at the same time..Where BSG failed, the Phoenix...um...failed worse. My 12 year old self thought it was pure awesomeness.

Last edited by RAMA; January 29 2013 at 03:11 AM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 02:00 AM   #35
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Terra Nova-I watched the whole first season, no one else bothered.
I did

Lexx - I thought I was the only one in this universe watching that show... then I registered on the Trek-BBS.

7 Days - Same story. -Except, I still wait for someone to come forward and admit they watched it.

Aeon Flux (the animated series) - Took me a while to figure out it actually had a bit of a cult-following.

Karaoke and the sequel, Cold Lazarus - Brilliant Dennis Potter tv-serials.

Earth; Final Conflict - ALL FIVE SEASONS!!!

Moonbase 3 - Fantastic British SciFi series! - Well, fantastic is just the thing it wasn't; instead it was realistic -probably that's why it didn't last more than one series back in 1973.

Mysterious Ways - Has it been mentioned upthread?

Paradox - Weird mashup of SciFi elements and police procedural. It's currently running around here

The Tripods - Too bad they never finished the story

Ultraviolet - The only vampire-series I ever wanted to watch -and then they pulled it.
Old January 29 2013, 02:12 AM   #36
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
Ultraviolet - The only vampire-series I ever wanted to watch -and then they pulled it.
Ultraviolet was pretty great.
Old January 29 2013, 02:23 AM   #37
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^Forgot Ultraviolet. I think that was the first time I saw the murderer-from-tragic-necessity angstfest that has become so cliche. Ultraviolet did it rather well, so well that for me it pretty much drained the well of emo dry. At some level when I see that trope I'm thinking, "Ultraviolet did it so much better it makes your feeble efforts look like My Little Pony!" I don't dwell on Ultraviolet much because, let's face it, mastering the noble-killer-tormented-by-irrational-guilt is sort of like master the art of the dusty limerick. Impressive but it's not really something to look for.

(Sorry, no real feelings there, but the thread was just crying out for a My Little Pony reference. How could the rest of you ignore those pitiful whimpers?)

And it probably got Stephen Moyer his True Blood gig, too.
Old January 29 2013, 02:31 AM   #38
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Anyone remember Wizards and Warriors? For years I thought I had imagined it.

The later Land of the Lost series is another one.

Star Cops-BBC show shown in USA soon after it's airing in UK. Good drama.
VR5- One of the best scifi shows of the 90s. Its one of the few FOX shows no one's ever heard of.
Surface-Not a great show, but it was growing on me.
Threshold-One of the best shows on here.
Flash Forward-I could still murder the execs who cancelled this show.
Max Headroom-A show that tried to be hip and actually was!
Automan(way back when)-Tron's first sequel! 12 people watched it.
Adventures of Jules Verne-Lots of fun, richly realized.
Captain Power-Should never have been aimed at kids, and to sell toys.
Hypernauts-By part of the B5 crew. Light years better kids scifi than Power Rangers, so of course no one watched it.
Space Rangers-Not a great show but I watched all 6 or 7 episodes.
Enterprise-Well its a ST show that got cancelled that's doesn't have miniskirts and beehive hairdos.
Defying Gravity-A disclaimer...I didn't watch it in first run either. I am sure I'm one of about 1,000 people who've seen it though.
Dr Who-Original (USA PBS) I thought I was the only person not answering phones on PBS who ever watched it at the time.
Terra Nova-I watched the whole first season, no one else bothered.
Phantom 2040-I'm certain I am the only one who has ever watched this show. Best version of Phantom ever. I have not seen it since the mid-90s though. Writing by Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens, designs by Peter Chung.
http://www.reeves-stevens.com/phantom.html
Good list, I've seen *most* of those. Loved Max Headroom as a kid. Saw a couple episodes of Hypernauts and Jules Verne. Never saw Phoenix though.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 02:45 AM   #39
sojourner
Admiral

The Kindred, The Embraced series. I used to think the lead on the show was the spitting image of Dr.No era Sean Connery. Too bad he died.
Old January 29 2013, 03:13 AM   #40
Christopher
Writer

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
I was trying to think of *any* sci-fi or horror shows from 75-80 that lasted more than one season. Without doing a through investigation, Buck Rogers was all I could think of.
The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman, The Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man, Space: 1999, Mork and Mindy, Jason of Star Command, Project UFO, Salvage 1, and in England, Sapphire and Steel and two Terry Nation series, Blake's 7 and Survivors.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Starman was a wonderful show. It's a shame it didn't catch on. Trivia: its lead actors, Robert Hays and Christopher Daniel Barnes, went on to play Iron Man and Spider-Man, respectively, in '90s animation, and had a reunion of sorts when Iron Man appeared on Spidey's show.

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
Moonbase 3 - Fantastic British SciFi series! - Well, fantastic is just the thing it wasn't; instead it was realistic -probably that's why it didn't last more than one series back in 1973.
I saw that once -- it was pretty interesting, a nice, grounded hard-SF drama from Doctor Who's Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 03:17 AM   #41
diankra
Commodore

Thing is, going back to the OP, Fantastic Journey, Man from Atlantis and Invisible Man all got run on UK TV, and Fantastic Journey ran about three times on the BBC (mostly in the mornings during school holidays). So I'd guess that anyone in the UK of about 40 to 45 with any sort of childhood interest in SF probably remembers that a lot better than many of the non-hit SF series of the last 20-odd years. Even though they'd be hard pressed to name any of the characters ("There was the guy from the future, the sneaky treacherous doctor, the girl from Atlantis who had a cat but kept on disappearing from one episode to another... oh, and the kid. The one who got killed in that Trek film. the really good one.")

Oh, and Christopher: adding another couple of British kids SF series to your multi-season list - Into the Labyrinth (included episodes by Robert Holmes, Bob Baker and Christopher Priest) and The Tomorrow People.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 03:36 AM   #42
stj
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
The Kindred, The Embraced series. I used to think the lead on the show was the spitting image of Dr.No era Sean Connery. Too bad he died.
Another one I forgot.

Speaking of vampires, Werewolf on USA, with John J. York and the recurring Chuck Connors.

Both were gone in a flash.

Which reminds me, The Flash.
Old January 29 2013, 03:38 AM   #43
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Dirk Gently - All three episodes as well as the pilot.

L5 - Still waiting for the second episode.

Pioneer One - "A Cold War relic returns amid fears of terrorism but turns out to be a forgotten Soviet space mission. What it brings back will have implications for the entire world."

The Strangerers - Hilarious Rob Grant-series:
Cadet 1: To counter fatigue we place our left hand on the females breast and invite her to submit to the mating ritual
Cadet 2: No
Cadet 1: All right, all right, I forgot the flowers and the box of chocolate! - First you purchase...
Cadet 2: No - You're confusing the remedy of erotic arousal! - To dispel fatigue we'll do the sleep-thing.
Zenith - "A retro-futuristic steam-punk thriller, about two men in two time periods, whose search for the same grand conspiracy leads them to question their own humanity. "

Voyagers! - I watched that with my younger sister (who was a bit too old to be in the target audience).
Old January 29 2013, 03:40 AM   #44
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman, The Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man, Space: 1999, Mork and Mindy, Jason of Star Command, Project UFO, Salvage 1, and in England, Sapphire and Steel and two Terry Nation series, Blake's 7 and Survivors.
I have no idea what happened to my head there. Especially Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, Hulk and WW...they must have been in my Dead Zone.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 03:53 AM   #45
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

The Immortal

We could morph this into Pilots and TV Movies of the Week too

"The Love War"
"The People" (Hi Bill!)
"The Horror at 37,000 Feet" (ditto)
"A Cold Night's Death"

Help me out here...I was thinking of a Glenn Corbett movie where he winds up on an Earth on the exact opposite of the sun...there everyone's organs on on the other side of their bodies. He tries to get back, and is killed. I may be conflating movies.

It sounds a lot like the synopsis of "The Stranger"...but now my head is picturing Roy Thinnes so I'll look into that. Ah, it was "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun" and his character was named Glenn. Damn, that was a good movie.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote