Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 28 2013, 11:54 PM   #496
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Abrams Directing Star Wars

It would help if Trek fans would ever get over being butthurt about the fact that Star Wars has been, by far, the premier space science fiction franchise in the theaters since 1977. The least successful of the six Star Wars films made almost 100 million dollars more worldwide than the most successful Star Trek movie.

As far as people buying tickets to the movies are concerned, for over thirty years Star Trek has been in second place - and for most of that time a distant second.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2013, 11:57 PM   #497
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

And even domestically The Empire Strikes Back made $34 million more than Trek '09. Empire is the least successful SW film in American cinemas.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 12:26 AM   #498
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
You're lucky Paramount didn't license the thing out for a cheapo comedy with Jack Black as Kirk and Ben Stein as Spock.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 12:30 AM   #499
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
You're lucky Paramount didn't license the thing out for a cheapo comedy with Jack Black as Kirk and Ben Stein as Spock.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 12:34 AM   #500
thumbtack
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
thumbtack wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
Well, I'd say in popular culture Star Trek fandom is associated with unemployment, obesity and social incompetence.

FTFY
I've always thought of the stereotypical basement-dwelling fan as being like Bigfoot. Maybe he exists, but I'm not sure anyone has ever actually seen one.

Most of the Trekkies I know have jobs and kids and mortgages like everyone else.
The public perception of us annoys me, too. But I don't pretend it's not there.
Old January 29 2013, 12:38 AM   #501
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Cheapo comedy, huh?

Old January 29 2013, 01:37 AM   #502
Franklin
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Cheapo comedy, huh?

Whatever happened to the double-breasted suit? I loved them. Letterman doesn't even wear one as often as he used to.

On topic (as it's drifted, anyway), who gives a rat's ass about perceptions? And, how conceited (or offended) can we be as fans to even believe there are perceptions, at least not those that we ourselves don't make fun of or pretend (I hope) to live up to? Roll with it. The demographics of TOS made it the "St. Elsewhere" of its time. (Don't know what "St. Elsewhere" was? Then Google it.)

People who got into "24" weren't geeks over that show? Folks actually thought "The Sopranos" was high culture? "Twin Peaks"? "Monty Python"? Let's not even go down the path of the perception of Pythons fans.

It's pop culture. It's fun. It's a cold beer on a hot day. Perfect for the situation, and that's about it.
Old January 29 2013, 01:52 AM   #503
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I'm not sure I could be friends with anyone who didn't find either of those gags hysterical.
Old January 29 2013, 02:20 AM   #504
Franklin
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
I'm not sure I could be friends with anyone who didn't find either of those gags hysterical.
"Good God, man!"

Almost made me think, "DeForest, who?" Almost.

My notoriously non-Trek fan wife who dutifully accompanies me to the Trek movies so I don't have to fulfill any stereotype by being a middle aged man going alone -- hey, and she's dragged me to Barry Manilow concerts, so she gets as good as she gives, better, actually -- laughed her ass off at that scene (for the RIGHT reasons).

Last edited by Franklin; January 29 2013 at 03:14 AM.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 02:54 AM   #505
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Oh, come on, gang. I was only being sarcastic. Didn't mean to cause harm.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 05:15 AM   #506
thumbtack
Commodore

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
I don't think I have any problems interacting with people in the real world.
Well, you do talk to yourself.
Old January 29 2013, 10:12 AM   #507
ITL
Vice Admiral

thumbtack wrote: View Post
Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
I don't think I have any problems interacting with people in the real world.
Well, you do talk to yourself.
Don't we all, sometimes?

ITL wrote:
Don't we all, sometimes?
Yes.
Old January 29 2013, 10:40 AM   #508
panthers34343
Ensign

It would help if Trek fans would ever get over being butthurt about the fact that Star Wars has been, by far, the premier space science fiction franchise in the theaters since 1977. The least successful of the six Star Wars films made almost 100 million dollars more worldwide than the most successful Star Trek movie.

As far as people buying tickets to the movies are concerned, for over thirty years Star Trek has been in second place - and for most of that time a distant second.
That's a really flawed way of looking at things. Why don't you count the people who watched Star Trek on television? It's like saying the NFL is more successful than MLB because more people watch on average the NFL games than the MLB games, leaving out the fact that MLB has vastly more games a season (162 vs 16).

I mean yes the NFL does make more money than MLB but the point is you framed it in a way that made it more one-sided than it is.

I'm sure Star Wars has made more money if you count everything (toys, tickets, books, etc) than Star Trek but doing a pure movie vs movie comparison is ridiculous.

Star Wars is primarily a movie franchise, Star Trek is more television.
panthers34343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 01:15 PM   #509
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I could. And also with those who did find them funny.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 01:36 PM   #510
Franklin
Rear Admiral

panthers34343 wrote: View Post

That's a really flawed way of looking at things. Why don't you count the people who watched Star Trek on television? It's like saying the NFL is more successful than MLB because more people watch on average the NFL games than the MLB games, leaving out the fact that MLB has vastly more games a season (162 vs 16).

I mean yes the NFL does make more money than MLB but the point is you framed it in a way that made it more one-sided than it is.

I'm sure Star Wars has made more money if you count everything (toys, tickets, books, etc) than Star Trek but doing a pure movie vs movie comparison is ridiculous.

Star Wars is primarily a movie franchise, Star Trek is more television.
Legion: Can someone get butthurt from penis envy? I didn't necessarily know so many Trek fans felt that way. Indeed, if it weren't for SW in 1977, we all may have gotten "Star Trek Phase II: The Entire Series", Special Edition, on Blu-Ray for Christmas. Oh, why can't we all just get along?

As far as the popularity of the NFL over MLB goes, panthers34343, poll after poll says NFL football is by far the favorite sport of Americans. College football is second. Major League Baseball is a distant third, down there with the NBA. The freaking joke called the NFL Pro Bowl draws more TV viewers than World Series games and the NBA Finals do.

Last edited by Franklin; January 29 2013 at 03:16 PM.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote